Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver - or any one else that may know. Do you know the relative percentage of MH chassis produced per year between WH and Ford?? I think I read that WH produced about 40,000 MH chassis and 12,000 commercial trucks last year - but haven't been able to find any data on Ford production (and I'm not sure of the WH numbers above). Just curious.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver - or any one else that may know. Do you know the relative percentage of MH chassis produced per year between WH and Ford?? I think I read that WH produced about 40,000 MH chassis and 12,000 commercial trucks last year - but haven't been able to find any data on Ford production (and I'm not sure of the WH numbers above). Just curious.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The last Press Release I had seen was that Ford was leading in over all motorhome chassis sales however Workhorse is also doing well.

Ford does not compete in the over 22K GVW market (yet) and of course WCC recently introduced the UFO which no other chassis manufacturer competes against.

The GM/Workhorse Class C chassis has gained double digit market share from the benchmark Ford Class C chassis. The chassis is gaining in popularity becuase "now" customers in the Class C market have a choice in the 14,050 GVW weight range.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know the percentages between Ford and Workhorse for the Class A market?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvinc:
Does anyone know the percentages between Ford and Workhorse for the Class A market? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The answer can be found at RV Business.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just visited the Newmar plant and surprise- surprise only one model with one WH chassis a w-24 standard, all the rest were on Fords standard.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #7

ROGER: you are correct in that their entry level BAY STAR is only offerred on the Ford chassis with a 20,500 lb GVWR. The slightly more expensive Canyon Star is also available only on Ford chassis. Both the Kountry Star (gas) and Mountain Aire (gas) models have been eliminated for 2008 and were "replaced" by the new Grand Star which is standard on the Workhorse W-24 and optional on the FCCC "FRED" chassis.

I guess we will have to wait for 2009 models to find a Newmar on the UFO. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, to be quite honest, I think Workhorse CC really has something good here with the "UFO" chassis. However, at the present time, I'm not very enthused with what the current motor home manufacturers have done with it. I don't like the styling of the Winnebago and Itasca versions, Monaco and Holiday Rambler uses the 242" wheel base "UFO" chassis and not the longer 262" version. The Georgetown model body style hasn't changed in several years and I'm not that confident with Forest River. That leaves Georgie Boy Manufacturing and their upcomming "Cruise Master" on the "UFO". The model shown here on the Industry News forum is very attractive and report says it is 40' long. Therefore, it has to have the longer 262" wheel base, but if GBM only offers one floor plan, it has a "Full Wall Slide" and I've read some horror stories about Full Wall Slides. Yesterday I wrote (email) to GBM and asked them if they were going to have more than one floor plan and if I could come down to their plant and do a tour while they were building on the Workhorse "UFO". So far no reply, but if I do get a positive reply, my wife & I will hustle down to Elkhart, Ind. and get a good look! Consequently, right now I'm a little dissapointed with the current crop of "UFO"s. Chuck/Bagman57
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems that coach MFG's are at a lost as to what the public is looking for on the UFO chassis. They are just putting something together to say they have it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some body better start buying these UFO's whether you like the house or not. The OEM's and dealers are going to think you just don't want the UFO.
So help save the UFO by buying one or a few and keep us posted on the ownership experience.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">......start buying these UFO's whether you like the house or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MAX: you really should learn how to add one of those "emoticons" or or to help us know when you are "just kiddin". Otherwise, we could just say you should take your own advice, 'cause I doubt if there is anyone here with that kind of money to waste on a house the wife won't like. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
, OK, but who says I was just kiddin?
just kiddin kind of; but uhhhh; somebody better start buying them. Even tho the OEM's may be making an ugly interior or exterior , the deaqlers and/or the OEM's may get the wrong message if they sit on the lot too long.
I love the idea of a quiet dependable affordable MH but we won't know what (1st year ?)bugs it has til we hear from owners. WH won't know either til we give them ongoing trip reports.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote