Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I heard a rumor that Workhorse was going to come out with a 28,000 GVWR "FRED" of their own! Any truth to this rumor? Bagman.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I heard a rumor that Workhorse was going to come out with a 28,000 GVWR "FRED" of their own! Any truth to this rumor? Bagman.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagman57:
I heard a rumor that Workhorse was going to come out with a 28,000 GVWR "FRED" of their own! Any truth to this rumor? Bagman. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't see that happening out of Union City. Now whatever CCP LLC does in Elkhart is another thing altogether however it wouldn't be a direct Workhorse thing but more of an International Truck and Engine thing if it ever came about.

So I would say that the rumor that "Workhorse" is going to make a FRED is premature to say the least.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now whatever CCP LLC does in Elkhart is another thing altogether </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CCP LLC is a joint venture company between International and Monaco Coach Corp. CCP now builds many of the Monaco ROADMASTER brand diesel pusher chassis used exclusively by various Monaco motor home brands. Monaco has recently introduced a new "toy-hauler" line within their Safari brand. Below is a partial excerpt from that announcement:
Monaco Coach Corp., Coburg, Ore., has entered the front-engine SURV motorhome market with diesel and gas versions of the Class A Safari Compression. The 38-foot diesel Compression SURV, unveiled at the recent 45th Annual RV Trade Show in Louisville, Ky., is available with up to two slideouts and three floorplans including an island kitchen on a 28,000-pound GVWR Roadmaster FD chassis mated to a 340-hp Cummins ISB diesel engine. The Roadmaster FD platform, with full air suspension and air brakes, is manufactured in Elkhart, Ind., by Custom Chassis Products LLC (CCP), a joint venture between Monaco and International Truck Corp........

Chuck, that's about all I know on the subject. You may find more info at either Monaco or Safari websites. It is nice to see you back posting again. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, that is exactly the front engine diesel I was talking about! I like the idea that it is 28,000 lb. GVWR and that it has a 100 gal. fuel tank. Those are two advantages over the Freightliner "FRED". However, Monaco Corp. is only utilizing it with the Safaro Toyhauler. I think people would be interested in it as an option to the full diesel pusher at a lower cost! Does it have an air bag suspension? Chuck.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does it have an air bag suspension? Chuck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think it does, the announcement above refers to "full air suspension and air brakes". ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, it sounds very interesting and it would allow for plenty of ccc! Chuck.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never been in a front end diesel but would'nt it be noisy?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, not at all! I test drove a Freightliner "FRED" Allegro Bay 34XB a couple of years ago and at cruising speed it was as quiet as any gasser. There is a guy on the tiffinrvnetwork.com who super insulated the engine compartment of his Allegro Bay "FRED" and he claims that it is very quiet and doesn't emit any engine heat up front. Chuck/Bagman.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuck, can I ask what would be the benefits of a fred. I dont know because i've never owned a fred or a pusher but would think the engine in the rear would be a selling point. we have been "thinking" about buying another mh and want to look at all options.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel economy, better air flow to the engine because the radiator is up front, larger fuel tank, driver's side door, and you get a diesel for about $10,000.00 more than a gas equililent. For example, most Allegro's and all Allegro Bay models in the Tiffin line up are available on either the Ford (gas), Workhorse (gas), or Freightliner "FRED" chassis. Tiffin has had much success with the Freightliner "FRED" chassis. Chuck/Bagman.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
Chuck, can I ask what would be the benefits of a fred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More torque in comparison with a gas chassis.

Less cost when compared to a rear diesel pusher chassis.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
good info chuck. I had no idea about the cost diff
Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
good info chuck. I had no idea about the cost diff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>jdsr, IF you are shopping please come the Workhorse Club Rally at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach next October where I am certain that you will be able to test drive a UFO powered vehicle.

Comparing any FRED to a UFO will leave you with the same opinion as the majority of drivers which have driven both. I'm sure that you too will come away with the same conclusion.

Your "ears" and "butt dyno" will not disappoint you. By that time model year 2009 will be in full swing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fuel economy, better air flow to the engine because the radiator is up front, larger fuel tank, driver's side door, and you get a diesel for about $10,000.00 more than a gas equivalent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In my most recent Workhorse display in Brooksville, FL for the SEA FMCA I had 2 people that came by to share with me that they had traded in their RDPs for a UFO and they are not looking back at all on what could have been. Both these owner/drivers are pleased to the point where they both claim that it's the best RV that they have ever owned. The UFO has a 100 gallon fuel tank, excellent airflow around the engine and cool pack and regarding fuel economy that's up to the individual driver. Some folks report that the UFO isn't giving up big MPG numbers but for the most part it appears to hover around 6 to 6.6 MPG on a 39 foot box.

I wrote a piece about the FRED as it sat there in an open field behind my display I believe it's in the Tiffin Forum you may want to review that piece as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote