Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
How many of you out there would see a value in a W chassis front diesel. Yes or No, with a short reason. Oh bye the way are you all aware of the high output Dura Max, it has more horses and torque then the others.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
How many of you out there would see a value in a W chassis front diesel. Yes or No, with a short reason. Oh bye the way are you all aware of the high output Dura Max, it has more horses and torque then the others.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hey Steve,

I heard from a customer about a rear engine gas Workhorse chassis Yesterday.He said he rode in one a the Workhorse National rally.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
WOW, that brings back visions of the old 70's FMC motorhome with the rear engine Dodge 440/3. way ahead of its time. Imagine if they used the D Max.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve, no for me. Reason for me is I want a flat floor like diesel guys and noise in back.

Glad to see rear gas mentioned Hope both you and Mike will pick up on that. "FIND" for RGP etc for threads. They're all over the forums in past few days. Even DriVer seems to be getting interested. We're especially wanting Mike's take on that and split rear ends.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is the front to rear weight ratio's.They've got the W series handling so good,I would hate to have to start over.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have wondered if Workhorse would dive into the FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) arena with the latest version of the Duramax 6.6 liter V8 (LBZ 360 hp/650 lb.-ft. of torque) in a motorhome chassis. I believe WH already has FRED chassis that are used in commercial applications with the Duramax.

You all are probably also aware of the Workhorse R-series diesel motorhome chassis which are rear engine pushers. (Cummins powered I think..??)

As a GM tech. I know first hand of the latest performance enhancements to this newest version of the D-max which is mated to the 6-speed Allison. I have driven a Silverado pickup with this powertrain and it is VERY impressive! Not only is it incredibly powerful, (I unwittingly spun the rear wheels and got the truck sideways pulling out into traffic!) but it is extremely quiet. The only noise I could really hear was the turbo spooling up and speaking of the turbo it is a variable pitch vane type which is electronically controlled and this allows for a much faster transition into the BOOST! The fuel control system has been greatly refined over the years and the emissions have been drastically reduced. There is no black smoke and no strong diesel exhaust odor.

I think a Workhorse FRED MH chassis would be impressive to say the least, but would it really be a good idea for Workhorse to do this since the R-series diesel already exists? And what about cost differences between gas, FRED and R-series chassis? I would think that the WH FRED with a D-Max would cost less than an R-series, but would definitely cost more than a gasser.

For more info. about the Duramax as it applies to GM's heavy duty pickup trucks and vans CLICK HERE.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The commercial application is the LF-72 low floor entry airport shuttle/bus platform.

Can't forget about Workhorse's mother ship, Navistar. It's obvious that the 8.1L gas is doing a great job for both WCC and GM. Those folks in Tonawanda just have to be busy delivering engines.

Regarding a small block V-8 diesel it's going to be interesting to see if International won't have something up its sleeve that Workhorse may choose to look at for recreational vehicle use. The commercial W-42 is already using a 4.5L V-6 International diesel.

The 6.0L PSD is now history I understand and the new motor is supposed to be pretty hot. My take on this is that I don't think that WCC is going to re-visit FED again because they did it in the P chassis and that didn't work out as well as was hoped. Folks just didn't bite on a motorhome with a FED.

2007 and beyond should be fun though for RV consumers. Technology is constantly evolving.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #9

I have a friend that claims to have been in Union City for the WCC owners club rally. He says that he might have seen something that he was not supposed to see. "Officals" asked him to keep it quiet.

Anyone out there have the skinney on this? Rumor has it that it might be a front/rear diesel.

Northern, CA
Brickem' Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:53 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
Steve, no for me. Reason for me is I want a flat floor like diesel guys and noise in back.

Glad to see rear gas mentioned Hope both you and Mike will pick up on that. "FIND" for RGP etc for threads. They're all over the forums in past few days. Even DriVer seems to be getting interested. We're especially wanting Mike's take on that and split rear ends. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't it be great if someone could give us a rear gas/diesel rig that was flat floor from front to rear? I know I'm dreaming, but wouldn't that be cool?

Northern, CA
Brickem' Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Jim, you make very good points, yes a FRED would cost more then a gas chassis, BUT would a FED WCC chassis cost more then a FRED ???

Yes Mike, they tried it with a noisey very inferior 6.5 turbo diesel on a P chassis, talk to the Trek bunch, GM blew it again. Now we have a much superior diesel "D-Max" and a superior chassis "W seris" how the He_ _ can it lose??? Hey just think if they stuck the D-Max in the supposed rear engined gas chassis, HOLY MOLY BATMAN.............. Wake Up Workhorse!

Does this stuff have anything to do with those knuckleheads in the black suits???

Old 07-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Oh Mike B. weight distribution won't be a problem, WCC will just have Driver ride up front, that should keep it down........

Old 07-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Oh Mike B. weight distribution won't be a problem, WCC will just have Driver ride up front, that should keep it down........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now wait a minit! I resemble that remark.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
I know you do//////////