Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Damon Motor Coach in late spring will introduce a relatively short 31 1/2-foot, European-inspired front-engine Avanti Class A diesel motorhome built on a 16,000-GVWR Workhorse W-42 commercial truck chassis that emphasizes fuel economy.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Damon Motor Coach in late spring will introduce a relatively short 31 1/2-foot, European-inspired front-engine Avanti Class A diesel motorhome built on a 16,000-GVWR Workhorse W-42 commercial truck chassis that emphasizes fuel economy.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where did you read this? I don't see it here http://www.damonrv.com/motorhomes/. Do you have a link?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
RV Business posted this article:

BREAKING NEWS
Damon Designs Shorter, Fuel-Efficient Class A
Bob Ashley
RV Business
Friday, March 28, 2008

"Our goal is to get 15 miles per gallon,"ť said Bill Fenech, president of the Elkhart, Ind., subsidiary of Thor Industries Inc. "That's a huge difference from what Class A motorhomes are getting now."ť

The planned Avanti and Del-Ray – Damon's first Class C motorhome also in development – are expected to be introduced to dealers in May as a hedge against a soft market that has prompted layoffs at Damon and a number of other U.S. RV manufacturers.

"It's not a secret the RV industry is off on shipments and retail sales," said Fenech, whose company is following through with plans to set up Del-Ray production in a dedicated Elkhart plant. "We needed to match our rate of production to the market.''

The Avanti, with a yacht-like interior and a sloped front end similar to profiles more popular today in Europe, will have one slideout and eventually be offered in two or three floorplans – none longer than 32 feet.

The suspension on the W-42 chassis has been modified to afford better driveability, Fenech said. "We've done several things to create better aerodynamics,"ť he added, noting that outside consultants were brought into help streamline the Avanti.

"Fuel economy is a hot topic and Europe has been in the fuel-economy business for quite awhile,'' Fenech said. "We hope to do for the Class A market what the (German-built) Sprinter did for the Class C market."ť
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That could be a good seller.
I've been thinkin about trading my Damon for something like a Winnie View but they are so expensive for such a cute little camper. Since the 340HP chugs up the mountains, I wonder how a 143HP diesel would do.
Then diesel costs about 25% more than gas so I'd hope it would get 100% better mileage.
Any body heard what kind of mileage the View gets? Anybody beside Winnie build on this chassis?
What kind of engine is in the W-42?
@ 16000 GVW it must be small.
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
... @ 16000 GVW it must be small. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, The 16,000 GVW rated Workhorse Chassis called the W16 has an 8.1L engine and a 4L80E 4 speed GM automatic transmission with a parking pawl.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driver, he is talking about a new Cl A diesel, W-42 so it must be based on this one
http://www.workhorse.com/Portals/0/products/Chassis/P42...DIESEL%20Insert2.pdf
I'm surprised you did'nt tell us about this new WH model first.
It might be a good idea. Our 7 MPG MH's may get to be dinosaurs before sooner than we expected.
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
What kind of engine is in the W-42?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the diesel version gets the
International 4.5 liter V6
200HP
440 ft./lbs. TQ

the gas versions get the updated LY2 4.8/LY6 6.0 GM V8s, but I'm sure they're not looking at those since there is already the W16 chassis with the 6.0

the W42 is a standard lighter duty stepvan chassis, but obviously, almost any body can be built over a strip chassis
parts_expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any word on what chassis/ engine their Cl C will have? I wonder if they'll use the WH/ International or the Dodge / Mercedes or something different.
On 2nd thought, I doubt if that little Mercedes would pull 16,000 lbs very well. Any thoughts on this?
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm surprised you didn't tell us about this new WH model first.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, This chassis and others like it have been rolling off the production line for quite some time. I had not focused too much attention on this product line since most of these are used for commercial applications.

I did not see the PR on RVB until it was posted here however if WCC wanted me to see this immediately I'm sure I would have seen it come directly from the horse's mouth.

Workhorse being a custom chassis company can and has responded to a customer's need and this is what we see in the March 30 release. Unfortunately Damon does not feed me press releases.

Small diesel powered motorhomes are very popular in Europe. At 31 feet, if it were in the European market, it would probably be equivalent in perception to a 40 footer or more.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Any word on what chassis/ engine their Cl C will have? I wonder if they'll use the WH/ International or the Dodge / Mercedes or something different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The engine in the W42 is an International Maxx Force 5 series engine.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Who makes the cab part of Workhorses' Cl C ? Chevy? If Damon were to make a Cl C diesel, any idea who'd chassis, engine, and cab they would use?
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Who makes the cab part of Workhorses' Cl C ? Chevy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The OEM that purchased the chassis makes the box. In the case of the Class C, GM makes the cab space. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If Damon were to make a Cl C diesel, any idea who'd chassis, engine, and cab they would use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm thinking that they said they would be using a Workhorse chassis from Union City, and an International engine. Damon would make their own coach body. There is going to be little challenge for Damon to come up with a coach body design since they are already produce several models of front gas powered Class A motorhomes as it is.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting, that it appears Damon may be taking the lead in more fuel efficient RVs.
I see the W-42 has a driveshaft parking brake. Is it manual or autpark?
I don't think I've seen an RV mfgr build a curved sheet metal cab before. I wonder if they are set up to build something like that?
Denver, Colorado