Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just left Seasons in the Sun, Mims FL. while in a conversation with DAN from OH.
he said his digital dash took a C--- coming into JAX. and he callled WH. There is
another story there, but not now!!

They gave him the phone # of 3 workhorse repair facilities, somewhat close to his
final destination. He called the first one and they said they do not do WH work!!
Why??? THEY DONT PAY THERE BILLS!! Called the second one and got the same response!
Calle d the last one and said they could get him in, but it would be about a mo.

Did not someone buy WH, or did they sell out?? Are they in transition??

Dan had another interesting concern, comment, it seems as tho OH. does not
have a LEMON LAW, on the MOHO, only on the chassie. Had to trade his lemon
to lazydays, and did it over the phone. FL.and NY. does have a LEMON LAW.
He said do not buy a MOHO in a state that does not have the law!

VERY INTERESTING, TENN.VOL.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just left Seasons in the Sun, Mims FL. while in a conversation with DAN from OH.
he said his digital dash took a C--- coming into JAX. and he callled WH. There is
another story there, but not now!!

They gave him the phone # of 3 workhorse repair facilities, somewhat close to his
final destination. He called the first one and they said they do not do WH work!!
Why??? THEY DONT PAY THERE BILLS!! Called the second one and got the same response!
Calle d the last one and said they could get him in, but it would be about a mo.

Did not someone buy WH, or did they sell out?? Are they in transition??

Dan had another interesting concern, comment, it seems as tho OH. does not
have a LEMON LAW, on the MOHO, only on the chassie. Had to trade his lemon
to lazydays, and did it over the phone. FL.and NY. does have a LEMON LAW.
He said do not buy a MOHO in a state that does not have the law!

VERY INTERESTING, TENN.VOL.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
he said his digital dash took a C--- coming into JAX. and he called WH. There is
another story there, but not now!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We've been to SITS several times and we stayed there for a month last year. I like the park quite a bit.

The brand of IP or digital dash that Workhorse uses is called an Actia. There have been some problems with the IP but it's not something that's been a fleet-wide issue. Most of us don't have problems with our instrument panels. There has been some instantaneous reset events that the IP does every so once in a while but it doesn't hurt anything nor will it incapacitate the motorhome. Workhorse is working with Actia to find a resolution for this problem. Some Command Center displays pixillated but those are repaired as they come in to the service centers. There was a brake lamp recall which basically only takes 30 minutes to fix with the right equipment.

The Actia IP is a nice instrument panel that technologically is head and shoulders above what anyone else is running out there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He called the first one and they said they do not do WH work!! Why??? THEY DON'T PAY THEIR BILLS!! Called the second one and got the same response! Called the last one and said they could get him in, but it would be about a mo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I appreciate your flair for the dramatic however if you want to hear the rest of the story this is most likely what is happening to dealers that claim that Workhorse doesn't pay their bills. Interesting the 3rd service center didn't complain that WCC isn't paying their bills. A lot of what you're hearing is one sided and 3rd party so unless it happens directly to you I would dig a bit deeper into the facts.

Workhorse service does everything on-line for the most part and they pay the service center the book time rate for a job. Service centers have to complete the warranty reimbursement forms properly or they may not get paid. This is what may be going on. Workhorse pays their bills. We have members here that are Authorized Service Centers and we have never heard that Workhorse doesn't pay their bills. That dog just ain't gonna hunt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did not someone buy WH, or did they sell out?? Are they in transition?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Workhorse was purchased for $cash$ by International Truck & Engine (Navistar) a publicly traded company. Workhorse did not sell out but IH wanted to get their foot in the RV door and this was best way for them to do it. The transition was practically seamless since nothing has changed at Workhorse other than background administrative procedures which is normal considering the scope of this deal.

I hope this answers some of your questions or observations.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard this Workhorse "slow pay" story myself, from a Chevrolet dealer who is/was also a Workhorse service center. GM dealers have a nice automated system for submitting warranty claims and get reimbursed easily/quickly, but Workhorse claims are processed through a different procedure and take longer to get reimbursed. They also cannot use the GM parts system to order parts (unless of course it is a specific GM engine or Allison transmission part), which also is a more cumbersome & slow process than the nice GM network tools and the GM parts distribution system. And the dealers I have visited do not stock unique Workhorse parts, probably because of the low business volume.

So Workhorse is probably slower than the GM dealers are accustomed to. Whether they are slow in an absolute sense I do not know.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have been doing Workhorse Warranty repairs for 2 years & have never had a problem with them paying thier bills.Even when I Managed Henderson's Line Up we never had a problem there either.I know about 12 workhorse warranty stations & none of them have a problem.Like most large company's they take six weeks to pay you,but they always do.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
We have been doing Workhorse Warranty repairs for 2 years & have never had a problem with them paying thier bills.Even when I Managed Henderson's Line Up we never had a problem there either.I know about 12 workhorse warranty stations & none of them have a problem.Like most large company's they take six weeks to pay you,but they always do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The main thing is for the shop to CORRECTLY, COMPLETELY fill out the manufacturers' warranty paperwork/on-line entry/whatever (this goes for all of the manufacturers, not just Workhorse). Failure or incompetence in doing this will assuredly (but properly) result in a delayed or even denied warranty claim payment back to the shop, resulting in the shop tech not getting paid for work done.

Last year when my a/c compressor seized up in Gallup NM (requiring a 150 mile tow to Albuquerque to the nearest Workhorse service center) the Workhorse chassis warranty paid for everything, even though the tow company wasn't on their list.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
We have been doing Workhorse Warranty repairs for 2 years & have never had a problem with them paying their bills.....I know about 12 workhorse warranty stations & none of them have a problem..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike, Thanks for posting is response to whether or nor Workhorse pays their bills. I had never heard of such a thing but I knew that it wouldn't take long to get a rebuttal from a Workhorse Service Center.

Once the "1st" 6 week interval has passed a dealership can count on getting paid for warranty work pretty much on time every 6 weeks so there's always a cash flow coming into the business.

Mahlon(yes, it's my real name) posted the precepts about how warranty claims are processed, paid or denied. Another important thing I found while in business were RMAs that needed to be properly executed or you wouldn't get paid as well. This was a good explanation of how the system works.

I hope that this post has assuaged peoples' concerns about Workhorse because it's a pretty serious matter when someone is accused of not paying their bills.

Hello from Kingsland, & I've got Georgia on my mind. Last night we had dinner with Captain Bud & MikeT. Our iRV2 family is just about everywhere. It's nice to meet up with folks that we've come to know on the board and I'm looking forward to meeting you all in Sevierville, TN this summer.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:So Workhorse is probably slower than the GM dealers are accustomed to.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary, I would like to expand on this observation. While at a Chevrolet dealer, an Authorized WCC Service Center, the techs there actually research and get diagnostic and repair procedures directly from the GM IT infrastructure. This resource is available to them and is centrally administered and it's always being modified or expanded by a central facility that makes the resource available immediately to all the GM dealerships.

When I had to have a code diagnosed the tech didn't use a WCC resource but a GM resource and he immediately came up with over a 1/2 dozen or more DX procedures and resolution actions.

This the GM techs told me was one of the issues that WCC should key in on but if you're trying to compare GM's IT capacity to Workhorse it's like comparing a person using a desktop computer to a company that using a CRAY supercomputer.

This is the only issue that I saw in the field. So if you're thinking about having service work done on your Workhorse by a GM dealership that's usually a good choice.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you need engine or tranny work, a GM dealer dealer who is also a Workhorse servicer is a good choice. But the problems I've had fixed were brakes (the Bosch recall), a/c compressor, a/c mixing valve, and exhaust manifold doughnut gasketes (at the connection to the exhaust pipe) and none of those are GM-built parts or have GM diagnostics. None of these could be obtained through GM resources, even though GM makes and distributes an a/c compressor with the same specs. Had to wait while parts were ordered through Workhorse, with delays of anywhere from several days to several weeks (back ordered). The only part that was readily available were the exhaust gaskets, which apparently are a comodity part obtained though local parts stores.

WH could use some improvement in the parts distribution system - maybe Navistar can help out there. They probably have a bigger network in place.

Amendment: The Evans a/c mixer valve is NOT a WH part and the delays in obtaining one had nothing to do with Workhorse.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
WH could use some improvement in the parts distribution system - maybe Navistar can help out there. They probably have a bigger network in place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary, I'm sure you knew that Workhorse has improved over their earlier parts infrastructure by adding a 2nd parts distribution center on the West coast? Now they can ship parts from either of the 2 distribution centers if the parts are in stock. Getting commonly used parts out to dealers isn't usually a problem but as we all know "stuff happens"

We're back in FL. I'm sitting in the CFF in Orlando & using my VZ-620 card on Broadband. Aside from the Orlando PD attempting to catch a fleeing felon this evening it's been a very nice day. They are expecting more than 362 paid WIT attendees for this rally. There are also something like 42 vendors I understand.

I'm trying to get a Workhorse tech from Turning Wheel RV in Ocala to come out to the fairground to do some work as well. Lazy Days is all setup here and loaded for bear. They brought a lot of rigs.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CFF in Orlando </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is CFF????

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the good fortune to have not needed any Workhorse parts in the last year, so wouldn't know if delivery times have improved. But all my experience in getting Workhorse parts has been in the Eastern US anyway.

Glad to hear, though, that parts supply has improved in the West, since we will be spending this summer in Washington.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
What is CFF???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Central Florida Fairgrounds, in Orlando. It's located on Route 50 or W. Colonial Drive at the corner of Pete Parrish Boulevard. We're sitting on the beautiful shores of Lawne Lake and it's just about a perfect day.

The Florida WIT is holding the largest rally aside from the WIT rally that occurs in Forest City. There will even be factory reps here on Thursday and Friday.

There are 362 registered plus a number of expected drive-ins. The vendor count is at 43.