Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse problems continue

Wy wife and I purchased a new Tiffen Allegro Bay MH in Feb. 2004 and must say the coach is great with no problems.
However, I have had several issues with the WH chasis. First the cat converters had to be changed under a recall that came from Tiffen. I'm not sure if it was a Tiffen problem or WH. This was done under warranty, no problem just a little inconvenience.
Next in Apr. 2006 (26 months after purchase) I noticed the right front oil seal for the wheel bearings was leaking (approx 3000 mi). Paid for out of pocket since WH said unit was too far out of war. About 3 months later, the right rear axle seal started leaking (approx 4000mi). Same thing WH said no, too far out of war. Paid for out of pocket. Luckily I caught these before the bearings and hubs were ruined, which would have required replacing.
Now the brake issue. While I haven't had apparent issues here, when I was having annual service last fall before puting up for winter, the right rear ABS sensor had to be replaced because it had melted into a glob of plastic.
At this same time I reported to the service center that the LCD display in the instrument cluster was going out and was almost unreadable. WH again said no, too far out of war. The unit has only 10,000 miles on it.
All this work has ben done, including annual service, by the authorized WH service center in Nashville, TN.
This is our first MH after pulling 5th wheels for about 10 years. Had MAJOR problems with last 5th wheel, but that is another story. This will be our LAST mh on a WH chasis. Tiffen is now building there own, and I think I know why. They build a high quality product.
Tiffen, !!!!! WorkHorse,
Domestic Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you are mistaken about Tiffin building chassis. They just switched to a different vendor. Jones & Son Chassis Inc.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Funny,my 2004 Workhorse chassis had a 3 year warranty on it,and my 2009 Workhorse chassis has the same, three years of warranty.Maybe it is a Tiffin thing?

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have a Tiffin Allegro Bay on a WH Chassis and our chassis had a 3 year warranty. Our Cat Converters and our Actia LED panel were both replaced under recall with no charge to us . . . 5 years after date of purchase. Our rear bearing seals on both sides were replaced under warranty shortly after purchase, again no charge to us. Workhorse has been great for both warranty and recall work. Now, when we get our new and improved calipers we should be once again moving on down the highway or as we always said in the Navy, "HAZE GRAY AND UNDER WAY!
Hope it is soon!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #5

I have a workhorse chassis they replaced the dask cluster and the front calipers no charge-2003 fleetwood pace arrow 2nd owner..again no charge--workhorse has been great.
kennyd37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

Don`t know about the seals, but I would definately appeal the dash problems.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "factory" rear seals are garbage. Our first trip we lost a rear wheel seal and were towed to a WH repair facility. They replaced both the rear seals on that trip and did not use the WH seals but used a special RTV. Other than that we have had no issues with our chassis and I would without a doubt buy another WH chassis.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I think you are mistaken about Tiffin building chassis. They just switched to a different vendor. Jones & Son Chassis Inc.
I think Jones & Sons are chassis designers, not chassis builders. They Helped Tiffin design and engineer the Powerglide chassis used on the Allegro Bus and the chassis to be used on the new, smaller Breeze motorhome. I am pretty sure Tiffin is building the Powerglide chassis themselves.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know that the war. on Tiffin Products is for three years, however that only applies to the coach part does it not. Why would Tiffin (or any one else) warranty someone else's product??? I will try contacting Tiffin about the seal and IP problems and see what comes of it.
As far as chasis go, it is my understanding that Tiffin started out building only chasis for the bus, but is in the process of designing (or having designed) and building Power Glide chasis for their entire MH line.
Domestic Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Workhorse warranty on gas RVs is 3 years or 36,000 mi.

Workhorse Warranty
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The Workhorse warranty on gas RVs is 3 years or 36,000 mi.
That's generally correct however there were extended powertrain warranties and one should look in their documentation to find out if that was a part of their deal. Emission control warranties are extended as well.

The full bumper to bumper warranty is indeed 3 years or 36,000 miles.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #12

Tiffin (I believe) is making the chassis that was/is designed by Jones & Son. Gary Jones did the design work for Western RV (Alpine Coach) up thru about 2003, after which WRV hired its own engineering staff. I believe Tiffin had Jones do a blank-sheet design (came out similar to Alpine's Peak chassis but w/IFS), and they assemble & test the chassis at Tiffin's plant.
Anybody know different?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not aware of any WORKHORSE recall on Catalytic converters. Though I thought that Workhorse did, in fact, provide the exhaust system so logically if they were recalled it should be their problem

UNLESS... that is... Tiffin put something heat senistive too close to the Cat's (They do get hot) and that was the what the recall was about.

As for the oil seal problems. Those are Workhorse but frankly I'm not aware of any serious issues there either and I follow most of the Workhorse issues since I drive one.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Workhorse did have a recall on CATS was back in 03-04 if you have a older coach the web site should be able to tell if your chassis is still out standing. The CATS were replaced because they didn't meet the OSHA requirements for year tested. There wasn't nothing wrong with them they just didn't comply.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote