Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #1

I drove my W22 to Oklahoma City and had the same engine missing problem as I have had 4 times before. Burnt spark plug wire???
The service center is going to install the "air kit" this week.
I have pictures of the kit before installation if someone can tell me how to post them.

Driver...would it help if a coil spring was placed around the metal "sleeve" that is over the spark plug wire. Could it serve the same purpose as fins on an air cooled engine?: get rid of heat!!!

Just looking for anything that might help the burnt wire problem.

Workhorse W22
RVnUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #2

I drove my W22 to Oklahoma City and had the same engine missing problem as I have had 4 times before. Burnt spark plug wire???
The service center is going to install the "air kit" this week.
I have pictures of the kit before installation if someone can tell me how to post them.

Driver...would it help if a coil spring was placed around the metal "sleeve" that is over the spark plug wire. Could it serve the same purpose as fins on an air cooled engine?: get rid of heat!!!

Just looking for anything that might help the burnt wire problem.

Workhorse W22
Old 12-01-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are pictures an information on spark plug cables on thread "its happening again" pg-3 its just below you again---007
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RVnUSA:
I drove my W22 to Oklahoma City and had the same engine missing problem as I have had 4 times before. Burnt spark plug wire??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were the last 3 times the plug wire? If so then I would say that's what it is again.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:52 PM   #5

The last 3 times were plug wires.
My coach is still in the shop but I found out today they had ordered new plug wires and new metal sleeve that goes around the wire at the plug.
They also installed the ram air kit and looks to be a good and neat job. The tech didn't use the bolts that WCC sent with the kit to bolt the air scoops to the grill. (good for him the ones he used looks a lot better). I don't know how the water that collects in the down loop is going to get out, may require a drain hole.

I have also found some 1100 degree sleeves that are about 6" long and 1" diam that I am going to install on the metal sleeve on the spark plug wires in hope to keep a little of the heat from reaching the wire.
Has any one else done this?

One other interesting note: I also found out that my dealership where I bought my coach went away this week. Don't know where I will go for warranty work now.

Workhorse W22
Old 12-07-2004, 03:20 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm confused,
I thought the plug wire problem was the exhaust manifold leaking and burning the wires.
Now I hear about this fresh air vent kit apparently to cool the area around the plugs.
I guess there are two problems regarding the plug wires ??
Driver, can you help clairify ??
My coach only has 5000 miles on it and if I run into this plug wire problem I want a head start on this info.

Thanks

Gregg

2003 Pace Arrow 36R
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gregg:
I thought the plug wire problem was the exhaust manifold leaking and burning the wires. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is one instance where plug wires may get burned through. I am told that when a plug wire fails in this manner if it is tugged at it'll come apart in 2 pieces. The service center I recently went to explains that most often they will see problems with plug wires 3, 4, 5, & 6 if there is any problem at all. Some motorhomes, mine for instance, have had no plug wire problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now I hear about this fresh air vent kit apparently to cool the area around the plugs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Vent Kit is being applied to those brand specific motorhomes that exhibit the characteristic of not being able to flow enough cool air back to the plugs. This could be do in part to the design of the front fascia of the motorhome shell and the grill openings.

The other problem with the plug wires is improper installation of the boots. It's totally likely that if you haven't had any plug wire problems so far you may not get any problems down the road.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:22 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got it !!

Thank You !!

2003 Pace Arrow 36R
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I have experienced this plug burning problem and have talked directly to the engineers at Workhorse. Original they were saying it was an exhaust manifold leak and wanted me to take it to a service center to get new gaskets and bolts installed. I called the service center to make the appointment and was told that workhorse says it is not an exhaust manifold problem. I called the Workhorse engineers again and now was told this fixed some and not others. They don't want to pay for this work if it will not fix the problem. Now they believe it is an air flow problem and want to install the air vent kit. After doing some research myself I agree with the air flow problem. I have talked with others that have the same coach as mine with the Aerbus front design and they have also experienced this problem. I have also talked with others that have the same coach as mine with the Rexair front design and none have had this problem. The difference is the Rexair has more grill space and lower on the coach. I have also talked with folks with other brands and the ones that have had this problem have grills high up on the front of the coach while others that have not had this problem have grills lower on the front of the coach. I have had the vent kit installed but have not driven my coach since so don't know if it will fix the problem.
W22 Workhorse
Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know if Workhorse has a list of their OEM coach manufacturers that have had this problem? I think if they would publish one, it would certainly ease a lot of owner's minds.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilanddij:
I think if they would publish one, it would certainly ease a lot of owner's minds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't see this is being an option. although if you call and state your type of coach they might be able to cross reference a previous case if it exists.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
They did tell me that Rexhall was one that is having this problem so DriVer may have a point. But as I stated, Not all Rexhall have this problem so it could be more model specific rather than then brand specific.
W22 Workhorse
Old 12-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the WH chassis guide, it is stated min. opening for grille is 587 sq. inches. I am sure a lot of the overheating problems are related to low air flow to the engine. The opening in the grille might be blocked by the cross members (screen) in the grille and the placement of componants by the body builder. By putting in the aftermarket air tubes, I wonder how much water will then be directed to the very hot engine parts that do not need any cooling water.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigdaddy:
The opening in the grille might be blocked by the cross members (screen) in the grille and the placement of components by the body builder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We have seen various OEM grill configurations and one of which I happened to see most recently was a coach that had a flush finished, 1/4" diameter hexagon mesh type grill. This grill treatment was installed both hi and low on the front fascia of the motorhome.

I am very much of the opinion that the mesh grill plows the air as the motorhomes goes down the road and that a significant amount of cooling air never gets in to the engine compartment.

I have to tell you, what focused my eye on this coach was the fact that the service center had to pull both heads off the engine and get the exhaust manifold studs drilled out. Talk about over heating! I can't blame the coach manufacturer for sure but none the less it bothers me to obstruct the grill openings with cosmetic mesh.

At idle when the MH isn't moving or when the coach is going slow it's probably not a problem. I see it as a problem when going at highway speeds. I do like an open grill configuration better than having the openings completely covered with mesh.

Some of our members have chosen to place 1/4" square chicken wire behind the horizontal bars in the grill opening on the Adventurer. I don't think that wire installed in this manner will significantly impact air flow since the air has already begun to accelerate through the horizontal bars in the grill. The purpose here is to keep the condenser & radiator clear of large debris and bugs.

WCC service has told us not to put any bug screens or stuff like that on our grill openings and as you can see the reason for this suggestion is obvious.

Don't do anything that will significantly compromise the airflow to your cooling system.