Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #1

Workhorse vs F53 Chassis

Hi all,

Looking to buy our next motorhome. We have had two F53 chassis motorhomes. Never had a Workhorse. I know the suspension/chassis upgrades to do to the F53 to get it to drive comfortably for me. I know nothing about the Workhorse chassis. We are looking at 32' - 37' class A's.

So my questions:
- For those that have owned both, which do you prefer?
- What chassis/suspension upgrades are suggested with the Workhorse?
- Which Workhorse chassis is better if one is?
- How is the power with the 8.1?

I appreciate any and all advise. Happy 4th?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Cool Workhorse vs F53

My wife and I traveled coast to coast twice in a 2015 Fleetwood F53 motorhome and did a lot of touring along the way (15K miles or so). We also test drove a Workhorse and a few diesel pushers while we owned the F53. As of 10/2021 we are using our, new to us, 2004 Winnebago Adventurer on the Workhorse W22 chassis so here's my $.02 for what it's worth ...
The Workhorse chassis motorhomes are highly sought after for good reason. The ride and cab experience to us is very very close to the diesel pushers we drove and it's much smoother more quiet and just as powerful as the F53 but at lower RPMs. We love everything about our Workhorse rig ... except ... the not so good mileage of just 6 mpg towing a light 2,200 lb Geo Tracker. Most people seem to be geeting 6.5 - 8 mpg with these rigs so I keep looking to increase that 6 mpg with my goal of a solid 7, otherwise love love love it!

Clay & Marcy
2004 Winnebago Adv. G35U
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #3

Thanks CEParosa. That should be fairly close to the one we are looking at. 2003 Newmar Kountry Star W22. Good to hear you like it
Old 07-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #4

I love my workhorse.. but stick with ford.. for parts in the future.. try not to get v10.. unless spark plugs have Ben changed.. run carfax.. stay away from flooded areas .. get 2 inspection.. 1 coach and 1 chassis.. get up on roof yourself and use all safety precautions.. walk every bit.. look for soft spots and cracks..
Good luck and keep us posted oh.. check every fluid with white paper towels to check color.. make sure dash a/c works.. try to get on with 5 or 6 speed..
Old 07-03-2022, 04:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We traded a 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss (duramax) class "C" for a 2004 Pace Arrow 37c (8,1 gasser) because the DW could no longer slither down into the cab, and we got tired of the excessive wind noise at anything over 50MPH.

I added the Ultra RV ECM /TCM controllers and Sumo's all round right off the bat. I also reinforced the hitch because we tow the DW's car on a dolly, OR an 8K enclosed trailer.

Four trips to Florida and back with the dolly loaded yielded 7.8 MPG using miles driven and gallons purchased. We cruise about 62 - 65, but she likes to creep up to 70 on flat ground.

We are very pleased with the 8.1 and the way this coach drives.

JMHO
Mike in Colorado
Old 07-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Hi all,

Looking to buy our next motorhome. We have had two F53 chassis motorhomes. Never had a Workhorse. I know the suspension/chassis upgrades to do to the F53 to get it to drive comfortably for me. I know nothing about the Workhorse chassis. We are looking at 32' - 37' class A's.

So my questions:
- For those that have owned both, which do you prefer?
- What chassis/suspension upgrades are suggested with the Workhorse?
- Which Workhorse chassis is better if one is?
- How is the power with the 8.1?

I appreciate any and all advise. Happy 4th?
The addition of a rear trac bar will minimize the "sway" caused by passing trucks.

The installation of "Sumo Springs" to replace the hard plastic bump stops is said to soften the ride.

The "best" front gasser ever made is the W-24 series chassis, which was first available in model year 2004. Getting a 2006 or newer will most likely avoid the potential hassles with the J72 AAPB system, used on the earlier models of the W-24 series (NOT used at all on the W-22 series).

The 8.1L GM V-8 is the better choice, and when coupled with an Allison tranny, is an unbeatable combo, IMO

The Newmar KSCA was a great coach-we loved our 2003 KSCA 3740 for 6 years and 98,600 miles, before trading it on a 2010 WBGO to get a W-24.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
I love my workhorse.. but stick with ford.. for parts in the future.. try not to get v10..
Respectfully, IF you are gonna make statements like that, I think you should include the fact that yours is a P32 series. and yes, you are correct about parts getting hard to find- for them.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have owned my W24 for several years after owning 3 V10s. I liked the v10 until I drove the 8.1, will not go back to a v10. the upgrade that I added that got me the most bang for the buck was air bags with on board air compressor.
Kevan & Rebecca 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:08 AM   #9

Best years for Workhorse W-Series were 2004-06. Prior to that fuel pumps were a weak spot, and for '07, I believe, they switched to a different steering box that is sometimes known to have excessive play.

The units with fewer fuel pump issues will have a fuel filter with a return line (see photo). It's located on the driver's side frame rail just behind the rear wheels and in front of the fuel tank, so take an old piece of carpet with you so you can slide under the coach and have a look.

2006+ transmission will be Allison 6-speed. Prior to that Allison 5-speed. While the 5-speed Allison is a great transmission, the 6-speed would make 2006 the model year to seek out if I were shopping for another coach.

I've never driven an F53, but I can tell you what suspension mods I'd recommend for the Workhorse W-Series, listed in order of priority:

Rear trac bar
Front anti-sway bar
Steering stabilizer
Front Sumo Springs

By all means, do front and rear of everything if money is no object.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3229401_1_f0b6bcedde569497565342aef93c8986.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	370080  
Old 07-04-2022, 07:10 AM   #10

Another response from a happy Workhorse owner. We had 1983, 1995, & 1999 motorhomes on the GM P-chassis and, while we were perfectly happy with these, our 2021 purchase of a 2005 Workhorse with Allison transmission and 8.1 engine, is significantly better. I confess to not having driven a Ford chassis motorhome and acknowledge they have improved from 2008 when one could sometimes chose between the two chassis when buying new. That said, back in that era a Workhorse chassis required a price premium over the same coach on a Ford chassis.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the responses. Seems I should be happy with a Workhorse chassis.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. Seems I should be happy with a Workhorse chassis.

I have a Workhorse and really like it, however the Workhorse dealer in my town just went out of business.

A couple other places claim to know the Workhorse chassis but their shops look like a dump and they didn't seem very knowledgeable when I asked a few questions that I knew the answer to based on prior repairs with mine.

I suggest you look for someone to work on it BEFORE you buy it. Lot's of old guys with auto repair shops are going out of business as they retire.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have a Workhorse and really like it, however the Workhorse dealer in my town just went out of business.

A couple other places claim to know the Workhorse chassis but their shops look like a dump and they didn't seem very knowledgeable when I asked a few questions that I knew the answer to based on prior repairs with mine.

I suggest you look for someone to work on it BEFORE you buy it. Lot's of old guys with auto repair shops are going out of business as they retire.
Ongoing problem , too many people making too much money by sitting at a keyboard .
When no one is willing to get their hands dirty , not much will get done in this world.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

It's a bit of a drive for you, but here in San Jose we have https://www.leales.com/ - they are an authorized Workhorse service shop, and they do excellent work. We've been happy customers for about 15 years now. They do warranty work for just about all brands - they're a service shop, not a dealer so they tend to do better work than ANY dealer's shop.

Tags
chassis, f53, workhorse