Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #1

Workhorse Wheel Balancers

Looking to install Centramatic Wheel Balancers on my 2003 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE (2002 Workhorse W22 chassis) steer wheels. Details to account for include disk brakes, 22.5" wheels and 8-lug nut pattern on a 10.75" bolt circle.

The 600-638 and 700-728 balancers were recommended by mfg. for workhorse chassis. Of course they neglected to specify which "P" or "W" series chassis. The Centramatic Model 700-728 seems to be the one I need to be compatible with my W22 with disk brakes.

Can anyone verify that I have identified the correct Centramatic balancers?

Also, are these balancers a good choice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600-638.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	348333   Click image for larger version

Name:	700-728.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	348334  

geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #2

Workhorse Wheel Balancers

I put on Centramatic part number 700-728 for the front with disc brakes part number 600-648 for the rear wheels of my 2005 Workhorse W24 chassis. Not sure if the W24 are the same as what your chassis requires. However, the 600-638 in your photo doesnít look like a dually balancer.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:07 PM   #3

600-638 are what I have on the front of my 2004 W-22 with 22.5" tires and disc brakes. I don't have any on the rear so can't help you there.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferyh View Post
Looking to install Centramatic Wheel Balancers on my 2003 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE (2002 Workhorse W22 chassis) steer wheels. Details to account for include disk brakes, 22.5" wheels and 8-lug nut pattern on a 10.75" bolt circle.

The 600-638 and 700-728 balancers were recommended by mfg. for workhorse chassis. Of course they neglected to specify which "P" or "W" series chassis. The Centramatic Model 700-728 seems to be the one I need to be compatible with my W22 with disk brakes.

Can anyone verify that I have identified the correct Centramatic balancers?

Also, are these balancers a good choice?
Florida Shores Truck Center is a great place to buy Centramatics. Very knowledgeable and good price
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I put on Centramatic part number 700-728 for the front with disc brakes part number 600-648 for the rear wheels of my 2005 Workhorse W24 chassis. Not sure if the W24 are the same as what your chassis requires. However, the 600-638 in your photo doesnít look like a dually balancer.
The 600-638 shown is for the steer wheels. I have emailed with factory again and they insist that I need the 600-638 steer balancers and not the 700-728 even though you see the 700-728 identified as "Motor Homes Disk Brakes".
Old 11-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #6

I ordered the 600-638 Centramatic Steer Balancers from the factory this afternoon. Also, I located a local mobile tire service company who will come to the RV Resort here in Foley, AL and install the balancers.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
600-638 are what I have on the front of my 2004 W-22 with 22.5" tires and disc brakes. I don't have any on the rear so can't help you there.
How have the Centramatic balancers worked out for you?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #8

Call Florida shores truck center. They are a centramatic dealer, have the cheapest prices and are very knowledgable about the centramatics. Great to deal with and will ship right away.
No connection other than a satisfied customer.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
How have the Centramatic balancers worked out for you?
Fine, but I didn't really have any issues on my current set of Toyos without weights either. All I can say is that Centramatics didn't make it worse. I tried them on a classic car though and they DID make it worse, so I don't use them on cars. I don't quite understand why that is, but I suspect they're only good up to a certain rpm and small diameter tires combined with higher automobile speeds exceed that.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

Centramatic Wheel Balancer Update

Received the Centramatic 600638 balancers and went to Loves tire shop in Loxley, AL last Wed. based on recommendation from Centramatic tech support.

After pulling the steer wheels we found that the diameter of the balancer was such that it would not lay flat against the inside of the wheel (about a 1/4" gap). After heated discussion with Centramatic, they agreed to send the 700728 balancers overnight via UPS. I will be heading back to Loves tomorrow to try again. The diameter of the 700728 balancer is less than the 600638, so I am hopeful they will mount properly. Stay tuned...
Old 12-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #11

Well, as they say, "there's no joy in Mudville tonight".

Neither the 600-638 or 700-728 Centramatic balancers will fit to my 2002 W22 Workhorse 6.75" x 22.5" wheels and hubs. If the balancers were a little bit smaller in diameter they would fit. I include an image of my wheel so others might be warned.

Moving on, I had each of the front steer tires rebalanced with 16 oz. of beads. FYI, if you balance with beads; get the brands that include special valve cores that help keep the beads from getting stuck in the valve when re-inflation is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W22 RF Wheel_1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	350722  
Old 12-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:

Neither the 600-638 or 700-728 Centramatic balancers will fit to my 2002 W22 Workhorse 6.75" x 22.5" wheels and hubs. If the balancers were a little bit smaller in diameter they would fit. I include an image of my wheel so others might be warned.

Moving on, I had each of the front steer tires rebalanced with 16 oz. of beads. FYI, if you balance with beads; get the brands that include special valve cores that help keep the beads from getting stuck in the valve when re-inflation is needed.
This info may be too late, since you have "moved on". . The problem MAY be that WCC used steel wheels made by Accuride until assembly line date 2/18/2002. AFTER that date, they used Maxion steel wheels. Which brand of wheel you have MAY be stamped into the wheel somewhere, unless you can determine the chassis assembly date. FWIW, I don't believe the 22.5" wheels on my 2003 W-22 looked like the one in your picture.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I don't consider myself an expert but I did as thorough investigation of dynamic balancing such as Centramatic balancers and balancing beads as I could. My investigation was all completed on line and we all know, "If it is on the internet it is completely true!"

After all my reading I formed opinions that may or may not be based in fact but are informed opinions nevertheless. Centramatic balancers and internal balancing material such as beads work on the same principle. When rotated the balancing material on both Centramatic and beads find the light (least weight) spot on the tire wheel assembly and distribute the balancing material to eliminate the light spot.

The Centramatic has a hallow tube around the outside of the assembly. Inside the tube are bearings (beads) that are just enough smaller than the inside diameter of the tube that they roll freely in the tube. The tube also contains a fluid that lubricates the bearings, dampens vibration and is part of the balancing weight. This tube is attached to a plate that is sandwiched between the wheel and the vehicle hub. As the tire turns the bearings arrange themselves around the tube to counter tire/wheel imbalance. The resolution of the balance is limited by the diameter of the bearings. They can't reside side by side. They are always in a row. Generally speaking Centramatic balancers do a great job of balancing up and down vibration caused by imbalance. They do NOTHING for side to side vibration.

Beads are placed inside the tire. They do the same thing the bearings do in the Centramatics. However because the beads are further from the axis of rotation a smaller amount of weight has the same balancing force. The resolution for correcting minor imbalance is better because the beads are smaller than the bearings and can arrange themselves across the inner face of the tire side to side and around the inner circumference. Generally speaking bead balancers do a great job of balancing up and down vibration caused by imbalance. They do very little for side to side vibration.

Material inside the tire has been used for a LONG time. Many different balancing media has been used ranging from liquid to sand to beads to BBs to golf balls. Some work better than others. geofferyh mentions special valve cores to keep the beads out of the valve core. Click this LINK. Innovative Balancing has a larger diameter bead available that doesn't need the special valve cores.

After doing my due diligence I chose to use the beads because I believe they actually balance the tire/wheel assembly better than Centramatics and the beads cost a lot less. I looked at the price of balancing beads and thought they were over priced too and with the exception of the Innovative Balancing beads mentioned above needed a special valve core. In addition the really tiny beads can escape through a puncture hole. I used 8 OZ steel competition grade BBs in my 245/70R19.5 steer tires and 10 OZ in my drivers. After 2 seasons the balance still seems perfect. Of course, the new tires I installed may have been perfectly balanced without any balancing. In that case the BBs didn't screw it up!

geofferyh mentioned he put 16 OZ in each front tire. That seems to be too much. All the bead manufactures recommend 10 OZ for his tires size. It may not matter but if he still has vibration he may want to take a few OZ from each tire.

That's my opinion....its worth what it cost!
Old 12-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #14

Found info stamped on the wheel and online.

MAXION
22.5 x 6.75 (Bolt Pattern: 8 X 275 mm, Offset: 5.70, Center Hole Bore: 221 mm)
N0002403
Lot 9032
0322 70
T/DOT
Made in Brazil

MAXION P/N: 5088067587
Workhorse P/N: W0002403
ACCURIDE P/N: 28869

Note: Not compatible with Centramatic Wheel Balancer 600-638 or 700-728.

Tags
workhorse