Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Workhorse won't start...

Hi all, I'm new on here but this looks like the place that may be able to help me. I am having a problem with a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind on a workhorse 8.2. It was driven to it's current location a couple of months ago.

Come to move it now and it won't start, the jacks won't come up and the dashboard throws out a long beep followed by 21 short beeps.

To throw a little more light on the subject, when the ignition is first turned on, the jacks light comes on and they will move for a second or so, then the beeping starts and the power is lost. Also, the lpg / gas changeover is lit, then goes out as the beeping starts.

The engine spins over quickly but won't fire. After cranking for a little while, I can smell a whiff of petrol so I'm assuming it's fuelling. I suspect some circuit / sensor cutting the power to the jacks and fuel and probably other places (ecu?) preventing it from firing but it's got me baffled. I also suspect the beeping it trying to tell me something but I have no idea what! It hasn't thrown any codes, pending or otherwise. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Thanks, Andy
Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a OBD code reader?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Wow! Where to start? I have not heard or ever seen anyone post a problem as this one. First, I have a 2005 Damon Daybreak with the 8.1 engine on a P32 Workhorse. I don't have the LPG/Gas option. These motorhome are actually built on 2004 Workhorse frames.

First thing most people will need is the Workhorse Model Number. Like P32, W22 or W24 so on.

Next , they will need the type Jack Leveling System you have. Such as Full Auto, Simi-Auto so on. Also the Make and Model.

Once you provide that basic info, I'm sure a lot of people will chime in and try to help. There are lots of wiring diagrams listed on this forum. Plus, you can do a google search for some of them also, I have several in PDF format.

I'm not sure that there is a connection to Jacks and no ignition, but I have not really researched without knowing more info. The problem with troubleshooting problems on a Motorhome is that each builder tied into the chassis wiring in different places.

Give us as much info as possible. Then we will try our very best to lead you in the right direction. By the way, welcome to the forum. There are some really great people on here that will do their very best to help you.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #4

Thanks. The mystery may be unravelling. It turns out it has an alarm/immobiliser but they have never used it.... This would be the first logical place to start. Will post back with findings, probably next week now.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #5

yeah that

fancy no-steal-the-RV contraption gotta be the culprit, huh.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

Hi all,

Ok, I'm getting nowhere with this one. I'm suspecting the immobilizer but the owners lost the fob as they never used it. I'm guessing the batteries went flat at some point and when power was restored so was immobilization. does anyone have a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind on a Workhorse 8.1 with an immobilizer? If you don't de-immobilize does it beep at you and cut power to certain circuits?

If I could find it and identify it, I should be able to immobilize the immobilizer. Maybe just follow the beeps.

I could of course be completely wrong but it's all I've got at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any snippets that may help me unravel this puzzle

Andy
Old 12-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #7

Do you know who the prior owners were? Do they know who did the installation and exactly what system is installed? I gather from reading the thread this was an aftermarket system installed by the prior owners.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Do you know who the prior owners were? Do they know who did the installation and exactly what system is installed? I gather from reading the thread this was an aftermarket system installed by the prior owners.
Unfortunately not. They bought it from a dealer 10 years ago in the UK. It's now in Spain and we have no idea if it's a factory or aftermarket system.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #9

someone that knows something about auto/RV wiring will have to physically inspect it....it would not be that hard to find and disable this system.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #10

Before you go chasing all of this check to see if it has the Workhorse ignition switch recall work done, if not the ignition switch may be partly burned out.

http://www.oemys-performance.com/med...on%20relay.pdf

The recall kits are no longer available, though they are easily assembled from off the shelf parts
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Before you go chasing all of this check to see if it has the Workhorse ignition switch recall work done, if not the ignition switch may be partly burned out.

The recall kits are no longer available, though they are easily assembled from off the shelf parts
I was thinking this too. Here is an IRV2 thread with information that may assist you:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/stran...ch-284988.html
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

Thanks. I'll check that and thanks for the link
Old 12-23-2018, 04:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I was thinking this too. Here is an IRV2 thread with information that may assist you:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/stran...ch-284988.html
Thanks, it's certainly something to look at. I'll try and get over there tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fully charge the engine start battery, or take the battery to a shop to confirm a good battery.

With a good known battery installed, bypass to the coil with a switch temporary straight from the battery.

Now crank the engine post back if the engine starts then we can narrow it down.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse