Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I honestly wouldn't worry as it's the nature of the beast. You are hauling a lot of weight with a gasser. Even semi's slow down upgrade. We have an '04 Bounder with the 8.1 and we tow a KIA on a dolly which adds 3200 pounds to our rig. We slow down on the steep inclines but that temperature gauge never climbs above normal. The fans kick in and it sounds like a 747 taking off, but it gets us over those Rockies! In fact, once the fans do kick in, the temperature gauge actually goes down a little!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #16

That Jeep Cherokee weighs around 5000 lb, that will drag you down real good on a hill. The next time let someone drive the jeep up the hill, and the MH will feel like a power house by its self.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #17

jiminpekin gave us an update above at 5:37 PM. It was a clogged fuel filter.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
jiminpekin gave us an update above at 5:37 PM. It was a clogged fuel filter.
I change every year ($10) and carry 2 spare filters. You never know when you will get a bad load of fuel.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I change every year ($10) and carry 2 spare filters. You never know when you will get a bad load of fuel.
Just this afternoon I studied my owner's manual again and could find absolutely no mention of a fuel filter. 2011 Ford F53 V10 chassis. It's not even listed as a maintenance item. Even got out the Ford Body Builders Layout Book and again no mention of a fuel filter in any of the chassis diagrams. I might have to call the Ford Owner's hotline.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Just this afternoon I studied my owner's manual again and could find absolutely no mention of a fuel filter. 2011 Ford F53 V10 chassis. It's not even listed as a maintenance item. Even got out the Ford Body Builders Layout Book and again no mention of a fuel filter in any of the chassis diagrams. I might have to call the Ford Owner's hotline.
I thought we were talking about Workhorse chassis. Am I missing something?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I thought we were talking about Workhorse chassis. Am I missing something?
chuckle..you're right. Long story, the original post said that he had trouble doing 35 mph up the steep hills on a certain stretch of road. I had done that stretch of road last summer and told him there were no steep hills on the section and that the hills that were there didn't even slow my mh down.

I said that even though I had an F53 that wouldn't make any difference and that there had to be something wrong with his mh, regardless of the chassis. There was a problem, he found out from the service people that it was a clogged fuel filter. That got me to thinking about my fuel filter and I started studying my manual and couldn't find anything on it.

As there are a lot of experts (both Workhorse and Ford chassis) posting here I thought one of them might be following the thread and give me a clue as to what is going on with the Ford fuel filter. I might go over to the Ford chassis forum and see what they have to say.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #22

Phew... I thought I was having a senior moment.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Your fuel filter is in the tank and Ford claims it is a "lifetime" filter. That is why you are having trouble finding any information on it.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Your fuel filter is in the tank and Ford claims it is a "lifetime" filter. That is why you are having trouble finding any information on it.
Thanks man! I knew there would be an expert out there somewhere that would know the situation. Next time I'm out your way I'll drop in!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
44,000 miles is equal to 8800 gal. of gas if your getting 5 miles per gal. Thats a lot of gas for one little filter. I change mine every 5k miles.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #26

Check this out.... the filter on the left only has about 12,000 miles on it.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelman View Post
44,000 miles is equal to 8800 gal. of gas if your getting 5 miles per gal. Thats a lot of gas for one little filter. I change mine every 5k miles.
Actually, the gas thru the filter is waaay more than that and has very little to do with MPG. The pump runs constantly and probably pumps in excess of a gallon per minute while the engine is running. What is not consumed at the engine is returned to the tank and gets recirculated.

MPG only determines how often a new source of fuel(and impurities) gets added to the remaining gas...
Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpekin View Post
...The drive from Peoria to St Louis was fine, but as soon as I started going up hills around Arnold and Festis Missouri the mh slowed to 35 MPH going up hills. All of the gauges appeared normal but there was no response when I tried to speed up. I tried shifting to different gears but there was no change until I started going down hill. When I started going down hills everything went back to normal...
The hills around Festus are not major enough to cause a Workhorse under performance issue. And although a new fuel filter is a routine maintenance that appears overdue -- it would also show up as an performance issue on the flatlands. It almost sounds like your transmission fluid is low or your overloaded. Isn't 35 mph limp mode?

As far a a ford vs. Workhorse. Um really no comparison their!
Haha couldn't resist

Dale: I always love your show and tells. So if you like to pay more you can get less pleats -- that's a no brainer. How many pleats does the NAPA filter have?