RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 18
Question Worried in Missouri

I am pretty new to full time MH living. I bought a 2002 Monaco Lapalma with an 8.1L engine on a workhorse 22 chassis. It has an alisson transmission. There are 44k miles on it. I also tow a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee. I drove from Peoria, Illinois to Cape Girardeau, Missouri recently. The drive from Peoria to St Louis was fine, but as soon as I started going up hills around Arnold and Festis Missouri the mh slowed to 35 MPH going up hills. All of the gauges appeared normal but there was no response when I tried to speed up. I tried shifting to different gears but there was no change until I started going down hill. When I started going down hills everything went back to normal. The place I bought it from couldn't find anything wrong with it and suggested that I have it serviced. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to have it serviced. Has anyone had a similar experience, or is there something specific I should ask about when I have it serviced?
jiminpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 168
I have a similiar set up - not unusual what you are describing - I went to Alaska and Western Canada last summer climbing muntains - lose power going up and gear down when going down -

If no "check engine" light on, I would ignore the issue - it is only a gas rig, not high HP diesel pusher --
__________________
Nick
2003 Pace Arrow 37A, 8.1 Vortec, WH chassis
Coach SOLD - June 2018
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 18
Thanks for your help.
jiminpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
JC2
Senior Member
 
JC2's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mo/Texas
Posts: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpekin View Post
I am pretty new to full time MH living. I bought a 2002 Monaco Lapalma with an 8.1L engine on a workhorse 22 chassis. It has an alisson transmission. There are 44k miles on it. I also tow a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee. I drove from Peoria, Illinois to Cape Girardeau, Missouri recently. The drive from Peoria to St Louis was fine, but as soon as I started going up hills around Arnold and Festis Missouri the mh slowed to 35 MPH going up hills. All of the gauges appeared normal but there was no response when I tried to speed up. I tried shifting to different gears but there was no change until I started going down hill. When I started going down hills everything went back to normal. The place I bought it from couldn't find anything wrong with it and suggested that I have it serviced. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to have it serviced. Has anyone had a similar experience, or is there something specific I should ask about when I have it serviced?
There are several members on this forum whom I've found in the past to be very knowledgeable/helpful concerning the workhorse chassis and 8.1L combination. If possible, I would try and contact them and see if they would answer any questions prior to your upcoming service date. The standard answer from most service departments is, "bring it in for service" and sometimes stems from them not knowing the answer to customers questions. Here is a link to your MH that might also be of help if needed. You can read it online or download it to save for later.
Monaco Coach - brochures
People to try and contact on the forum are:

1. Ed Gray
2. Steve Brazel https://www.brazelsrv.com/
3. Dale "Oemy" Olson http://oemys-performance.com/

They should be able to possibly give you some tips on tweaking a little more performance from your setup such as air/fuel filter changing, plugs/plug wires, reprogramming the ECM(UltraPower), tire air pressure, ideal rpms and cruising speed, etc.
__________________
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire DP 4304-Cummins ISL 425hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Does the rpm change when down shifting or going down the hills? When not under load does the engine rev up when you step on the gas pedal? These coaches have an electric gas pedal that controls the throttle body, and not a cable or rod like older vehicles. It is basically an electriv switch so to speek. I am having my own fight with a gremlin, which I think I am narrowing in on, and its leading me back to water in the tank. Mine misses, but when I give it the gas, it blows the water in the line clear, and runs smooth for a while. Another thing you might try is stepping aggressively on the gas to get the Allison to select another gear it down shifts differently than a car automatic. It took me a while to get used to it, but it sounds like you are manually shifting it. The only thing the service will do is hopefully check the fuel and air filters, if they are plugged that could effect power.
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
gruelens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,435
35mph on a grade can be a realistic number with a Workhorse MH. To better determine, let us know what percent grade for the roadway and what your CGVW is.
__________________
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Member
 
thirdwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
35mph on a grade can be a realistic number with a Workhorse MH. To better determine, let us know what percent grade for the roadway and what your CGVW is.
I agree. We had a 2004 Kountry Star 3651 gasser on the 22K Workhorse with the 8.1 Chevy pulling a 3500 lb. Malibu. Eastbound on I70 running the Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel we enjoyed the scenery at a leisurely pace of 27 MPH flat out foot to the floor. We just followed the trucks.
__________________
Al & Jan--Emilee and Sophia, the pugs.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV with M & G Compressor
2013 Jeep Wrangler, M & G brake.
thirdwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
Does the rpm change when down shifting or going down the hills? When not under load does the engine rev up when you step on the gas pedal? These coaches have an electric gas pedal that controls the throttle body, and not a cable or rod like older vehicles. It is basically an electriv switch so to speek. I am having my own fight with a gremlin, which I think I am narrowing in on, and its leading me back to water in the tank. Mine misses, but when I give it the gas, it blows the water in the line clear, and runs smooth for a while. Another thing you might try is stepping aggressively on the gas to get the Allison to select another gear it down shifts differently than a car automatic. It took me a while to get used to it, but it sounds like you are manually shifting it. The only thing the service will do is hopefully check the fuel and air filters, if they are plugged that could effect power.
It seemed like it had a mind of its own. Pressing the gas pedal made no difference in rpm. I drove it to the service place this morning with no problems. I even had a few large hills to deal with. When I had the problem it would shift to a lower gear at the top of the hill and then act normally until the next hill. It did backfire once when the lower gear engaged.
jiminpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 18
I'm not sure how to tell what the.grade is or what my CVGW is.
jiminpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpekin View Post
I am pretty new to full time MH living. I bought a 2002 Monaco Lapalma with an 8.1L engine on a workhorse 22 chassis. It has an alisson transmission. There are 44k miles on it. I also tow a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee. I drove from Peoria, Illinois to Cape Girardeau, Missouri recently. The drive from Peoria to St Louis was fine, but as soon as I started going up hills around Arnold and Festis Missouri the mh slowed to 35 MPH going up hills. All of the gauges appeared normal but there was no response when I tried to speed up. I tried shifting to different gears but there was no change until I started going down hill. When I started going down hills everything went back to normal. The place I bought it from couldn't find anything wrong with it and suggested that I have it serviced. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to have it serviced. Has anyone had a similar experience, or is there something specific I should ask about when I have it serviced?
Were you on I-55 between Arnold and Festus, because there isn't really any steep hills along that stretch. I did that section of road last summer and I don't remember ever having slowed down at all. Mine is a 2011 Ford F53 V10 chassis, but that shouldn't make that much difference. I hope the service people can find out what the problem is!
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
gruelens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpekin View Post
I'm not sure how to tell what the.grade is or what my CVGW is.
Often there will be signage indicating the % grade. A truck scale will give you the total weight of your coach and any towed. When you have a heavy gas chassis MH and steep grades you will not be the first one to the top of the hill. You will have more money left over in your wallet than some that beat you to the top.
__________________
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 18
Well.....

I took my mh to a place called Carnells in Cape Girardeau. They changed the oil and filter in the engine and generator, replaced the spark plugs and wires, changed the fuel filter and added 1qt of transmission fluid. The mechanic said the fuel filter was almost plugged and it was a wonder I even made it there. I added two cans of Sea Foam to the gas tank (its about half full). It seems to be misfiring on one cylinder. I noticed it when I drove back to the campground. I'm taking it back to Carnells tomorrow to see if one of the wires slipped off. It also has a service engine soon light flashing, but the folks at Carnells say its nothing to worry about.
jiminpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Were you on I-55 between Arnold and Festus, because there isn't really any steep hills along that stretch. I did that section of road last summer and I don't remember ever having slowed down at all. Mine is a 2011 Ford F53 V10 chassis, but that shouldn't make that much difference. I hope the service people can find out what the problem is!
Yes, that is the spot that I had trouble with. I hope the fuel filter was the problem because those really were just hills and not steep grades.
jiminpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpekin View Post
Yes, that is the spot that I had trouble with. I hope the fuel filter was the problem because those really were just hills and not steep grades.
Yep, I'm hoping it was the fuel filter also. It sounds like you'll get thing running real well pretty soon, I think you'll be amazed how well it performs.

PS-I'm a bit surprised that the fuel filter would clog up after only 44,000 miles.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missouri to Colorado on Hwy. 36 Montana722 Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 05-28-2014 07:31 PM
Southern Missouri Camping andy29847 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 1 05-28-2014 10:22 AM
I understand now why people live in Missouri... plasma800 Just Conversation 28 04-14-2014 07:09 PM
Worried About Hail Breaking Skylites jerrydubois Class A Motorhome Discussions 7 02-22-2014 08:20 AM
"Old newbie" from Missouri Marv Norton New Member Check-In 5 12-14-2013 05:56 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.