Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #1

Would you buy a UFO (R26) today?

I have been looking for a MH, gasser. Found a nice motorhome on a UFO chassis. It has less than 40K miles on it. Would you buy a UFO today? I am concerned about parts availability. I read a number of threads here on the UFO and it seems most owners really liked them even with the few issues they had that were remedied with the recalls. Speaking of recalls is there still a method to see if the recalls were completed? The coach I am considering is a 2009. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You ask a really tough question. I bought my UFO 15 years ago and still own it after 80,000 miles. I believe it is absolutely the best gas chassis ever built. With some key parts getting tough to find, I worry that the CCU's or ABS might fail. If they were still being manufactured, I would have bought a new one 5 years ago. As it is, I am going to drive mine until I can no longer drive an RV.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
….. Speaking of recalls is there still a method to see if the recalls were completed? …….Thanks for any insight you can provide.
If you get me the last eight (8) digits of the chassis vin #, I can verify if there are any recalls, either completed or still open.
IMO, The R26 is arguably the best handling gasser ever built. The suspension is unlike the other gassers and the “torque box” dramatically reduces body roll as if the coach was on rails going around exit ramp type curves. Drive it and you won’t even hear the engine from inside the coach.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I would recommend not.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
You ask a really tough question. I bought my UFO 15 years ago and still own it after 80,000 miles. I believe it is absolutely the best gas chassis ever built. With some key parts getting tough to find, I worry that the CCU's or ABS might fail. If they were still being manufactured, I would have bought a new one 5 years ago. As it is, I am going to drive mine until I can no longer drive an RV.
UFO Pilot. I read your posts on your experience with your coach. You have been a champion of the UFO. So I am leaning in your camp. I am concerned about parts availability. Thanks for replying.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Products View Post
I would recommend not.
Hi Jon: As always I appreciate your frank and honest participation here.

I'm guessing your opinion is based mostly on some of the "unique" parts availability issue that has been discussed here on iRV2 by UFO owners.

I'm hoping you will return with a little more details about what those parts are and why there doesn't seem to be an "easy" fix or workaround if they fail. Thanks
Old 10-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Products View Post
I would recommend not.
Thanks for replying Jon. I trust your feedback. I think if anyone had insight into parts and maintenance it would be you.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #8
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The main reasons, not all of them, for not purchasing one are this:

-Chassis was only made one model year and used proprietary components and electrical systems that are no longer supported.
-Most repair shops don’t know what to do with these when you have issues, there is very little information out there
-Chronic issues with the Wabco HCU system failing, and not being able to buy serviceable parts for the system. Right now we can’t get these HCU’s and haven’t been able to for the last 10 months, still no ETA on when we will. You can’t use a standard Wabco HCU as the programming and some of the components are unique to the UFO chassis.
-Chassis control modules are no longer available and we have not found a company that can repair them. They also require a special program called Cadet Software which is next to impossible to find.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #9

Thank you, Jon.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had one, it was a very nice motorhome. It sat before we inherited it, and needed some TLC.
The mechanical issues were a harmonic balancer failure taking out the serpentine belt, and all of the hoses. I managed to get the parts from Brazel’s and fix everything, but that conversation (with Jon I believe) was an eve opener.

The next problem was with a rear axle hub seal. I got those parts from Inland, but we had to match numbers on the parts because the axle tag numbers were not in their database.

I got that rig into top shape, and followed Jon’s advice and sold it to its current very happy owner. He asked me why I was selling it for what he thought was a awesome bargain and I straight up told him that if any one of about four critical parts fail, this bus is going to be a cabin somewhere. The price reflected that. His attitude was he was a electrical engineer and his family was all machinists so not scared at all.

I sure was glad when he drove it away

Tags
ufo