Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 07:28 AM   #99

A Steer-Safe was on our coach when we bought it which is why I have not done much to it.

So - with new Bilsteins all around right after we got the coach last year and the now installation of rear trac bar and Sumos all around - all I lack is installing the 3 degree wedges on the front end, installing the spring cushions in the front leaf springs, and getting a 4 wheel alignment.

I’ve wondered about the Steer-Safe - thought it was an added feature of the coach when we bought the coach. PO’s (I know there were at least 2) had had front rolling flats so guessing it was installed at one of those times. Not sure if they are date coded in some way to see it’s date of manufacture versus the coach.
But in my limited thinking, the Steer-Safe provides the same affect on front steering as a front steering stabilizer. When some 50 years ago when I first earned of what a steering stabilizer was on my old VW, Dad called a steering dampener, and it was called that for a long time.
The thing about the Steer-Safe as I see it is the Steer-Safe provides a stronger “return-to-center” action than a stabilizer. But I’m not sold on the Steer-Safe - would welcome anyones thoughts - and opinion of resale-ability of the Steer-Safe if I were to ditch it for a stabilizer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #100

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a SteerSafe steering stabilizer on a P30 at one time. I thought it did what it was supposed to do.

In my opinion the SteerSafe may be even more effective than the steering stabilizers that are attached to a tie rod. The SteerSafe is attached directly to the steering knuckle. Any looseness in tie rod ends are cancelled out.

Just my opinion.

I don't have any kind of stabilizer on my current MH and have no plans to install one.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #101

Yeloduster -

Are we talking about the same thing?

http://w3.steersafe.com/wp-content/u...lsteersafe.jpg

The above is what I’m talking about. Tie rod ends are still in the equation from the steering wheel as your still sawing the wheel to correct, only the more the tie rod are worn out, the longer the “saw” stroke.

One thing I don’t like about it is hearing the springs talk when turning hard at a lower speed - typical “spring stretch” noise. But am willing to put up with it if the end result is better.

Again, both SuperSteer (or a steering stabilizer), and SteerSafe, do pretty much the same thing - but each have their idiosyncrasies in terms of function and driving comfort.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #102

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, that is what I'm talking about. I agree that the springs can be annoying at slow speeds. That does not detract from what they do!

The one thing the SteerSafe does not have is a shock absorber. The other steering stabilizers have a shock absorber incorporated into their design. It is unclear to me how much the shock absorber adds to the function. My Workhorse chassis steering never transfers very much shock to the steering wheel regardless of the size of the pot hole I have hit!

The SteerSafe is more expensive than the other options.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #103

SteerSafe and other stabilizers like the Roadmaster Reflex both provide a strong center return action, with the difference being the attachment point, as Yeloduster has pointed out.

Edit: Looks like our posts crossed, and I had forgotten that SteerSafe does not have a shock absorber.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Yes, that is what I'm talking about. I agree that the springs can be annoying at slow speeds. That does not detract from what they do!

The one thing the SteerSafe does not have is a shock absorber. The other steering stabilizers have a shock absorber incorporated into their design. It is unclear to me how much the shock absorber adds to the function. My Workhorse chassis steering never transfers very much shock to the steering wheel regardless of the size of the pot hole I have hit!

The SteerSafe is more expensive than the other options.
While they may look the same, I don’t think internally they are the same. Get a new shock, and most all the time there is a band on it to keep it from extending prior to installation (either that, or you have to compress it somehow to install it).
A stabilizer or dampener, when you receive it, is centered and can move to shorten or lengthen. It has a dampening affect for any lateral forces on the front tires (pot holes, and to a certain degree - tire balance for those times that the imbalance between the front tires occurs at the same position in rotation at the same time. I learned that on my previously mentioned VW).
It can provide some center return action, but only within the limitation of what is used internally to dampen the aforementioned.
And because they are attached between between the tie rod and chassis frame, they are in the middle of the total linkage between the steering wheel and the steering knuckle which holds the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
SteerSafe and other stabilizers like the Roadmaster Reflex both provide a strong center return action, with the difference being the attachment point, as Yeloduster has pointed out.

Edit: Looks like our posts crossed, and I had forgotten that SteerSafe does not have a shock absorber.
The SteerSafe being connected between the steering knuckle and the axle (which is essentially the frame) connects one steering linkage step further away at the steering knuckle. And because it has both a front and a rear spring, a pair on each front wheel, is also self-centering.
I am thinking that far more return force can be applied with those big springs than what I suspect is the gas compression that occurs inside a stabilizer.
I guess I need to cut a stabilizer apart to see how they work.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A bit off topic, but my $0.02 CamJam since you brought it up - you use yours a lot more than I have been using mine lately and I haven't encountered the "you're too old to come in here", but I DO plan to keep mine quite a while longer and if I don't tell them the year, they usually think it is a 2 to 3 year old coach from just looking at it. I keep mine in great shape. You probably do too.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:15 PM   #106

My Roadmaster Reflex stabilizer is one of the better upgrades that I did. I wouldn't have believed the improvement had I not experienced it myself. I don't hear any spring noise, but it does increase the steering effort at low speeds and it's best to make sure your steering is pointing straight ahead when you turn the ignition off or unlocking the steering can be a chore when you go to start it up again. Both minor issues imho.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:18 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
A bit off topic, but my $0.02 CamJam since you brought it up - you use yours a lot more than I have been using mine lately and I haven't encountered the "you're too old to come in here", but I DO plan to keep mine quite a while longer and if I don't tell them the year, they usually think it is a 2 to 3 year old coach from just looking at it. I keep mine in great shape. You probably do too.
I keep mine washed and waxed, but at 18 years old now nobody is going to mistake it for a late model Prevost.