Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

172 Error Code Ford F53 1994 Itasca Suncruiser

I have been going round and round with power loss on my 1994 Itasca Suncruiser. Current error code I'm getting is 172. Over the course of all the repairs, I've changed out almost every sensor, verified vacuum, verified fuel pressure, changed spark plugs and wires, changed the O2 sensor. I'm thinking the next step is to change the PCV valve. The part number is EV-154. I can't find that part in any catalog. Does anyone know what part I should look for? Any other ideas on what to check for a 172 error?

Thanks!

Sean
semcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
172 bank #1, system indicates lean:
Possible Causes:
-- Fuel injectors.
-- Plugged fuel filter.
-- Fuel pump.
-- HO2S.
-- PCV/Hose.
-- Vacuum.
-- CANP.
-- Electronic Ignition Coil Failure.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by semcha View Post
I'm thinking the next step is to change the PCV valve. The part number is EV-154
Does it look like one of the ones in the image below?
Does it have 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch threads?

/
Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #4

Part number for PCV

It looks like the one on the left with the 3/4 inch thread. Thanks!

I should probably change the CANP too. Do you know the part number for that? I'm not finding anything on Autozone. My part from the manual isn't pulling anything either.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Does it look like one of the ones in the image below?
Does it have 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch threads?

/
Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by semcha View Post
I should probably change the CANP too. Do you know the part number for that?
It would be this one:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...solenoid&pos=0
/
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #6

Problem worse!

I replaced the CANP and the PCV valve. The CANP looked old and worn. The PCV valve was loose, not to the point of wobble, but I was able to hand loosen it. It had oil around the gasket and in the valve, but not oil around the PCV. I had already replaced the vacuum hoses to the CANP. The hoses to the PCV valve looked good. I checked OBD I codes KOEO and had no errors.

Did my first drive. At first going straight at 55 to 60, the engine ran well. Had more power, sounded smoother. Did my first hill and started loosing power immediately. This is worse than before because I could always complete one hill before it started to hiccup and loose power on the next hill. I stopped to turn off/on the engine, since that is what I did before to reset things. But this time, the engine continued to struggle. Tried this several times, but now I'm getting the hesitation in acceleration while driving flat. Struggled over hills. I could turn off/on to make it over a short bit. Check engine light came on a few times. Made it to my destination, but I haven't had a chance to check the code yet. Will check that tomorrow.

Any thoughts on why the engine would be worse after replacing these parts? Maybe the crankcase breather filter has been blocked by oil blow back? I changed it about a year ago.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the fuel pump is going out or something is in the tank plugging the sock filter.
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and take it for a ride and see what pressure you get on a hill at WOT.
I bet it will be less than 30psi. It should be 40psi.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

Error code 172

Still getting error code 172. While checking the code, I noticed the boot had fallen off or been blown off the electronic ignition coil. The interior of the boot and the connection had a lot of carbon. No sign of the lube I put on it when I changed the wires in the early spring. I assume that means a failure of the coil. It is possible I knocked it at some point, but I don't think so.

Sean
Old 09-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
172 is more than likely from low fuel pressure.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

New datastream data

Fuel pressure test came back fine. 32 at idle, 40 at WOT. Since replacing the ignition coil, I'm back to the usual problem. I can drive for about an hour, doing 65 to 70 mph, driving over mountains, etc. Then I get a hiccup in the engine. Next time I open the throttle, I get hesitation and a lack of power. If I turn the engine off, wait 10 seconds or so, and turn it back on. I can drive it again just fine. The longer I drive, the shorter the time period is until I loose power. Eventually, the PCM throws a 172 error.

I just realized my OBD reader has a datastream option. So I took some readings after doing some research. After running the engine for 15 minutes, engine temp to 154, my STFTRM1 was 23 at idle! My O2Sen slowly moves from .03, .02, .01, .06, and a fast jump to .86, then back to typical readings. At 1500 RPMs, O2Sen jumps a lot around, many times to .74 to .86. STFTRM1 hovers from -2 to 0. After returning to idle, O2Sen continues the same idle readings as before. STFTRM1 stays at 11.

At 2200 RPMs, O2Sen jumps around the typical readings, and jumps like it did before to .86, STFTRM1 is between 0 and -2. Return to idle, and readings are same as before at idle with STFTRM1 back to 11.

Early in 2019, I changed the O2 Sensor, but I used a Bosch. I later learned I should have used Motorcraft. Is that the issue? Do I have a leak I haven't found? I did a vacuum test in the Spring of 2019 and found no issue. Maybe I need to check again?

Sean
Old 10-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Still sounds like post #7 & #9 above.
Do you have any codes in CM?

You need to check the fuel pressure when the engine is cutting out and not when parked.

The below video has junk in tank and it was cutting out on the road but normal standing still.
http://youtu.be/3k68i67vr08

/
Old 10-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #12

Error Code

The CM error code is 172. KOEO and KOER tests generate no error codes.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Watch the video link above.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Note the video above was from a post by jamesrxx951.
below is from his post. Two videos.

Here are two videos I took checking fuel pressure on a 460 powered motorhome. This specific unit had a pump replaced not very long ago but the original shop did not clean out the tank. The results are this and please ignore the very good looking legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2wDaSjIMZUk

The link to the thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/i-was...mp-203410.html

/

Tags
f53, ford, itasca, suncruiser