Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #1

18k chassis capacity

My F-53 chassis (2019, 190" WB) is spec'd at 18k GVWR with up to 7k on the front axle and up to 12k on the rear. I've been wondering for awhile why this is the case so I'm reaching out on this forum for answers / inputs. A couple of specific questions to consider:
1. what limits the overall GVWR to 18k rather than the summation of the front and rear axle's which would equal 19k?
2. assuming there is a definite need to stay under 18k overall, and given challenges with overall CCC of my Entegra, is it OK to run lighter in the front (~6.2k) and heavier in the rear (~11.8k)? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Visionquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionquest2 View Post
My F-53 chassis (2019, 190" WB) is spec'd at 18k GVWR with up to 7k on the front axle and up to 12k on the rear. I've been wondering for awhile why this is the case so I'm reaching out on this forum for answers / inputs. A couple of specific questions to consider:
1. what limits the overall GVWR to 18k rather than the summation of the front and rear axle's which would equal 19k?
2. assuming there is a definite need to stay under 18k overall, and given challenges with overall CCC of my Entegra, is it OK to run lighter in the front (~6.2k) and heavier in the rear (~11.8k)? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
GVRW is not merely a total of the GAWR's. Manufacturers consider cooling, braking, frame construction and suspension capacity when assigning GVWR to the whole vehicle.

GAWR is the axle weight capacity of the axles installed. In your chassis' case, you have the benefit of axles rated heavier than the minimum required to meet GVWR. 19K total vs. 18K total minimum.

You should not exceed either rating. Vehicle should not weight more than 18K. Axles should not exceed their respective ratings either.

The "Why Not?" you ask about is the safe rated capacity determined by the OEM. Those numbers are again based on cooling, braking, etc. Not just axle capacity. If you exceed the weight on the rear, for example. You may be exceeding the braking capacity of the rear brakes.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
NXR

What code2e wrote.

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to balance your weight any way you want as long as you do not exceed any axle's GAWR.

"Perfectly acceptable" means motorhome and not truck pulling a trailer with a heavy tongue weight. That combination introduces other complications and considerations in order to tow safely.

In the old days the total GAWR did determine GVWR but that caused a problem. You could never load the vehicle to GVWR unless you had the weight distribution balanced perfectly across all axles.

Ray
Old 12-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #4

I'm not sure, but doesn't the GVWR also dictate the license requirement of the vehicle, not the driver license. I believe once you go over the 18K then you need to go up a long way on the license weight and thus more cost.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
GVWR.....

Is calculated by least/lowest rating of the capacity of the axle, springs, & tires. Also there is frame calculation that could affect it, but in 98% of the time, it is not a factor. Only on big dump trucks, etc, with frames being extended.

In your case, I would speculate that the least rated component is your tires (19.5")

Hope this help, and enjoy your "RV"!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
GVWR.....

Is calculated by least/lowest rating of the capacity of the axle, springs, & tires. Also there is frame calculation that could affect it, but in 98% of the time, it is not a factor. Only on big dump trucks, etc, with frames being extended.

In your case, I would speculate that the least rated component is your tires (19.5")

Hope this help, and enjoy your "RV"!

Hmmm... My 19.5 rims are rated for 4000 each x4 = 16000, my tires are rated for over 18K per axle (max loading) Not sure that it's either one of them.
I am thinking the brakes will be diminished, springs and bearings will have a shorter life. these may be aggravated with stressed conditions (towing/downhill). Diff will not be happy, and maybe run hot or fail early.

It's a puzzle.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70
I'm not sure, but doesn't the GVWR also dictate the license requirement of the vehicle, not the driver license. I believe once you go over the 18K then you need to go up a long way on the license weight and thus more cost.
Only in some states. In Ohio where I'm licensed there are no restrictions or special license needed for driving or towing an RV regardless of weight or length or type. There also are no personal property taxes on RVs and my license plates are about $72 annually.

Ray

Tags
chassis