Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
18k chassis rear air bags

Has anyone installed air bags on the rear of an 18k chassis? If so, what brand and was it a no drill installation? Thanks
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #2

We have an 18K chassis under our 2015 Windsport 27K and I was considering adding air bags to it. When checking the Firestone air bag information for our coach I saw a footnote that stated that their air bags could not be used on Thor coaches because of modifications Thor made to the chassis where the air bags had to be mounted. Be sure to check the fine print. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #3

I have the same question. Any answers?
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #4

I installed Firestone bags on my 2000 Gulf Stream 18000 # chassis and had to drill 4 holes on each side. It was pretty simple to do. Here's a video that I found that showed what you need to do.
I pulled the duals off when I did mine. It gave me the option to check my rear pads (which I replaced)
Ken.......

91 Metro Convertible 91 Suzuki Sidekick and 92 Suzuki Swift GT toads
givemeaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:16 AM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeaboost View Post
I installed Firestone bags on my 2000 Gulf Stream 18000 # chassis and had to drill 4 holes on each side. It was pretty simple to do. Here's a video that I found that showed what you need to do.
I pulled the duals off when I did mine. It gave me the option to check my rear pads (which I replaced)
Ken.......
It sounds like some only add the air bags o the rear. I saw one guys weight slip and it showed 1k lbs more on the right rear and 300 on the right front.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:31 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
This video and mod is dramatic in the lift if gave this leaning coach. I assume he installed them only on the rear.
I know someone else who installed the Air Lifter 5k with internal jounce bumper and did not get but about 1 to 1-1/2 inch of lift on the low side. His big concern when installing was the lack of detail in the instructions.
Basically a one size fits all application. Plus, the manufacturer doesn't mention anything about the operating range of the air bag. The instructions say mount the upper bracket just parallel to and just below the frame.
However, there is no mention that placement on the frame may affect the operating range of the air bag. If too high, it seems the bag would offer no lift.
If too low then it would bottom out to easy.
Anyway, I'm holding off on the air bags due to this experience. That's a lot of work and $$$ to only get an inch of lift when 2 or 3 is needed.
Finally, a quote from the Air Lifter web side in regard to raising a vehicle: While adding air can cause your vehicle to ride an inch or two higher, air springs are not designed to raise your vehicle above factory height."
Old 09-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #7

I used the ride rites (Firestone) they work well for us.
It did require drilling a couple holes. But was not a huge problem.
Biggest issue for self installing, is removing the rear wheels, and having the right jack stands to use. Other than that, installation was not too bad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MK2_8567 (Medium).JPG
Views:	26
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	342904  
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
That upper bracket looks almost exactly like the one Air Lift uses. The difference is the lower bracket. The Air Lifter lower bracket sets right on the leaf spring.
The Ride Rites pictured have a "riser". One would have to install the Air Lift assembly on the low end of the chassis rails to make them more effective despite the instructions saying the opposite.
Installing them too low is going to cause a harshness when bottoming out.
I just checked the Firestone website and they don't even list F53 as a choice.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
When trying to lift one side of a motorhome, the sway bar may cancel your efforts. On the front of mine it did. Both sides lift with one bag aired.

Tags
ags, air, chassis, rear