Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
19.5 tires and wheels optional ??

I was just looking at the ford f-53 spec sheets on line and noticed for the 22000 lb chassis it listed 22.5 wheels and tires as standard equipment and 19.5 tires as optional, seems backwards to me ,but what do I know , I never owned anything this big before now, anyone have a thought or explaination to this ?. also can anyone that has owned a rig with 19.5 tires and then bought a rig with 22.5 tires tell me the differances that you noticed between the two sizes? I have 19.5 on my mh and I am very happy with the ride I'm getting, but like I said what do I know ?, I've never had 22.5s . thanks in advance for any info or opinions.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My F53 chassis has the 19.5 wheels and I am very happy with the wheels. My rig is the 20,500 chassis.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

Those 22.5 will be aluminum budd wheels, which many years ago were the old 10.00X20.
One thing you can look for in the difference, that 22.5 tire probably be somewhere around $250~$300.00 higher priced than the 19.5, but the 22.5 probably be a higher load rated tire.
If the 22.5 is a low profile tire, the OD of the tire probably be the same OD size as the 19.5, so rear gear ratio could remain the same with either size rim.
I have 19.5s on ours, a 16 ply, 125 lb air pressure tire which kinda rides harder than a lower pressure tire, but I'm getting good service out of them.

Regardless of the size rim or tire we all use or get, around 7 to 10 years is all the time we'll have to use them, even if the tread looks new, before we'll have to replace them. This is one thing that needs to be addressed. Theres no sense in a tire not being able to last until the tread is worn to the replacement time.
Neil
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #4

Here the risk of blowout or tread seperation is too great after 5 to 6 years so that is the number we go by in Florida. It has been bounced about to make it unlawfull to sell tires over 5 years old or sell a vehicle with tires over 5 years old on it even if the tires are new old stock and have never been used.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Owned a 34' coach with 19.5 rims and then bought or current rig which is another 34' with 22.5 on it. The rig with the 22.5 rims handles so much better. My first rig was a beast on the road and the new rig handles so much better. Very little semi push, smoother just a better ride.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wouldn't even think about it.......... 22.5 rims all the way, Much better ride.
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Here the risk of blowout or tread seperation is too great after 5 to 6 years so that is the number we go by in Florida. It has been bounced about to make it unlawfull to sell tires over 5 years old or sell a vehicle with tires over 5 years old on it even if the tires are new old stock and have never been used.
the day we brought home our 2000 Suncruiser 35U I priced a new set of 6-tires, added a bit for inflation and divided the total by 84 (the number of months in 7-years). we set aside that much each month in a tire replacement fund so when it came time to replace them it was painless as far as the wallet was concerned.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've talked to owners with both and the 22.5" tires will give a much better ride. It's based on the fact that to carry the same load with 22.5" tire VS a 19.5" tire the pressure will be less. The lower pressure for the same load translates to a better ride.

The negatives for the larger tire are two. Cost is one and 450 ft lbs of torque for each lug nut is the other. That means the average driver usually does not have the necessary tools to change larger tire. On the other hand many coaches even with the smaller tire don't come with a spare so it may be a mute point.

TeJay
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #9

We have had both sizes; 22.5 would my best choice. Smoother ride, much easier to get in and out of gas stations with any type of curb. Back end does not drag or hit bottom like the 19.5. And the 22.5 on an RV looks more manly!
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #10

I took the 19.5's off and put on 22.5s difference was like going from a compact to a full size sedan

that and they look manly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnabago with sumosprings,banks,and american force 22.5's 009.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	90122  
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok guys, now ya got me all cranked up, MANLY? you have no idea what I' capable of !!!. I cant stop thinking about 13ft long chrome sidepipes with sparkplugs welded in the ends for flame throwers, not to mention, I'm itching to sand the foggy paint job off my rig, prime it, block sand it for 500 hours, and do a real paint job,mirror finish,and of course flames, front to rear,another 500 hours. My dw just keeps begging me to leave it alone,she knows first hand that I hate driving anything that does not have my signature mods done to it. I can also tell ya I've aready looked at custom wheels, as it turns out I can paint my rig, flames and all, for less cash than the wheels. So,I'm sitting here trying to come up with a good reason to tell dw she needs to visit her sister for 3-4 weeks,[she dislikes her sister] so that I could pull this off before she returns!!!!!! SEE,see what you started,manly,hey, waitaminute,this sounds good, you guys fault, "They started talking about MANLY stuff I had to do it honey". Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!.Man,I knew this forum was gonna be trouble,! MANLY, well I have to go take
inventory of paint supplies, just in case,of course. And to think all this started with an innocent question about tires!!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey LVRVLUVR, I forgot to say, yea, those 22.5s definitely do look manly on that coach, did you keep them for the winni you have now?. Or did they go with the other coach?. I followed your posts about sumo-springs,I definitely plan to put them on my terra,they make the most sense to me, no air, no worries. Most likely do them this summer instead of the sidepipes,flame paint job,seeing my dear wife says if the mh has flames on it, it will be my permanant residence!!!.
She has been putting up with household hot rods since we were both 16, I guess I will cut her a break this time....... maybe just smithy glass-packs will be ok , well at least till our first trip .....opcorn.:

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe I will look manly if I need to install the 19.5" spare which I carry along with proper tools for R&R.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
LVRVLUVR;

Did you get rid of the 19.5 rims and tires?

I'm looking for a rim and tire as a spare.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires