Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

1990 F53 460 Fuel Injector Replacement

Hello everyone, I've done an extensive search and could not locate an answer, sorry if repetitive.
I have a 1990 Southwind on an F53 chassis with a 460 7.5l I need to replace the fuel injectors in it. Has set for over 6 years and cranks but wont fire. It'll run using ether, so I'm pretty sure the injectors are gelled.
I however cannot find any info on replacing them, and wanted to know if any of you have any tips, tricks, or a diy on doing the job.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
JJMcKinney83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Verify that you have fuel pressure. Also verify that the injectors are pulsing. Use a set of Noid lights (Harbor Freight)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

I have verified fuel pressure at 40psi, I currently don't have the money to get a noid light, the new injectors set me back a bit
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

Did you check to see if the injectors are getting a signal from the ECM.
The positive side is on all the time and the ground side is pulsed.
It's bank fire, so 4 injectors are fired at once.

It's no a big deal to replace hose 24 lb hr 14.4ohm injectors. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the fuel rails in place, remove the EGR valve and get er done.
Slide the new injectors in the fuel rail and insert 4 injectors at a time in to the manifold. A little grease on the "O" rings will help.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #5

How would I check the signal from ECM?

Sounds pretty simple to replace though, which I will since I've got them, having the engine not start for over 6 years doesn't help things
Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMcKinney83 View Post
How would I check the signal from ECM?

Sounds pretty simple to replace though, which I will since I've got them, having the engine not start for over 6 years doesn't help things
The Noid light is the cheapest and easiest way to verify you have a signal at the injector connector.
The older Fords had 2 relays which were problematic. One was the fuel pump relay and the other was the Ecc relay. Then relays were shaped the same but one was green and the other was brown. Find these relays. They are usually mounted side by side. Lift them out and check for corroded wires in the relay connector. If the ECC relay is not working you will not get any injector pulse.
You may need a wiring diagram to diagnose the relay's action.
The injector (ECC) relay is NAPA part # AR 242
Lynn
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can rent a NOID light at most auto part stores so they do not cost you anything.

As far as the green and brown bottom relays he said he had 40psi fuel pressure and he would not get that if either of these two relays were bad.

You need to turn the key to the run position and listen at the fuel tank to see if the the fuel pump is running all the time the key is in the run position with the engine not running.

Let us know what you find and then we can help you further.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #8

highly doubtful all injectors are bad. a noid light is a couple of bucks and a neon test light can be used as well. test don't guess.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Thank you guys for the wonderful tips and advice, guess I'll have to dip into my travel funds to rent a tool, which I didn't really want to do. Running out of time as I have to leave on Thursday. Could kill the original owner for never starting the thing
Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

One thing to mention is it was running just fine when he parked it, and had very little fuel less then 5 gal
Old 08-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
6 year old fuel is not a good thing, it does not burn well.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMcKinney83 View Post
Thank you guys for the wonderful tips and advice, guess I'll have to dip into my travel funds to rent a tool, which I didn't really want to do. Running out of time as I have to leave on Thursday. Could kill the original owner for never starting the thing
You are asking all the right questions and everyone is giving you sound advice. I can't believe all injectors failed at the same time.
Check pulse at injectors, no pulse then check Relays.

If you have extra cash then you can justify replacing injectors even if you don't need them as peace of mind on the road. If money is tight hold off on purchasing and paying restocking fees until you know what parts you really need.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #13

Went and got the noid light today, was ready to test when, turn switch, click and nothing. Burned out the starter relay solenoid again, won't have a new one til morning, so guess I sit and wait til tomorrow. Also does anyone know where the ecc relay is located? I checked the fuse box under the hood right side and no luck, also under the dash both top and bottom, nada.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I take it you did not read my post #7 above.
I can not help you if you do not follow what I posted.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
460 7.5l, f53, fuel, no power, pcm, replace