Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
As noted above the so called limp mode is for the Transmission and not the engine or the how the engine runs.
Also the 1994 F53 fuel system is MFI and not throttle body fuel injection.
Yes it is a Distributor type system.

The extension cable for the above reader makes it much more easy to use.
If the code reader gives a Limp Mode code it will also have another code that caused the Limp Mode.

Attached in PDF is an explanation of the Transmission Limp Mode.

Finally someone who really knows about Ford Gassers. Thank you.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #16

Scan tool is great, OBD 1 however, is very limited on useable information it can produce and is mostly for stored codes. However, I wouldn't be out on the road without that scanner you just ordered. It was the right move to purchase that as suggested..

Moving on.

It has very low mileage, I would check under the hood and just make sure everything is in proper order, as often times these 'we hardly ever used it' coaches can be a paradise for mice and chipmunks. And they love to chew.... Everything.

No codes, and running correctly until fully warmed? There is something in there that has a changing value, and is impacting the ECM tables trying to compensate.

I really suggest looking at the coolant temp sensors. There are usually 2, one for the dash gauge, and the other for the ECM.

Sadly, most OBD1 tools don't have the coveted live data feature of the OBD2 devices, you will more than likely have to meter the sensor out yourself, which really isn't that hard to do.

Another thing, check all of the main engine grounds, and the inside of the distributor cap. If it's cracked or fouled, when hot, it can also produce the same condition you describe.
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
The code reader he order will do an electrical test in the KOEO test of all the sensors then after a separator pulse will read out any stored codes. Then it can also do and KOER self-test of all the solenoids. You can then also use the throttle to change state of all the solenoids.

The 1994 F53 does have live data but you need a scanner to read it as the code reader will not.
I have both the the code reader above and a scanner. The scanner cost a lot more than the code reader.

Here is a freeze frame of the scanner output of my 1994 F53 with the OBD1 at idle.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
OBD1 Plug Socket Location?

Subford,

I have 1995 Bounder with F53 chassis, V-8. Where is the plug located? I have been under the dash by the steering column and under the dog house looking to no avail.
Muledaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by semcha View Post
I have an 1994 Itasca Suncruiser with a Ford 53 chassis. I'm trying to figure out what kicks the engine into limp home mode. It happens after driving for about 45 minutes, so it's after the engine is thoroughly warmed up. If I turn off the ignition, and restart after 10 seconds or so, it resets, and the engine runs fine for a variable amount of time. Sometimes 10 minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes. The fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, and EGR valve have been replaced. I don't have a way to get code readings. What should I look at next? I'm thinking cleaning the throttle body. The engine only has 34,000 miles, so I figured sensors made sense, especially since it resets when I turn it off and on. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sean
Could still be a bad fuel pump, Ford had a lot of trouble with fuel pumps in that year, EVEN the replacements were bad. When it gets warm it stops pumping. Cools off and works again.

Terry.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledaddy View Post
Subford,

I have 1995 Bounder with F53 chassis, V-8. Where is the plug located? I have been under the dash by the steering column and under the dog house looking to no avail.
Mine is under the dog house, driver's side, towards the very front, mounted on the side near the gas pedal.

Sean
semcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdoxi71 View Post
Scan tool is great, OBD 1 however, is very limited on useable information it can produce and is mostly for stored codes. However, I wouldn't be out on the road without that scanner you just ordered. It was the right move to purchase that as suggested..

Moving on.

It has very low mileage, I would check under the hood and just make sure everything is in proper order, as often times these 'we hardly ever used it' coaches can be a paradise for mice and chipmunks. And they love to chew.... Everything.

No codes, and running correctly until fully warmed? There is something in there that has a changing value, and is impacting the ECM tables trying to compensate.

I really suggest looking at the coolant temp sensors. There are usually 2, one for the dash gauge, and the other for the ECM.

Sadly, most OBD1 tools don't have the coveted live data feature of the OBD2 devices, you will more than likely have to meter the sensor out yourself, which really isn't that hard to do.

Another thing, check all of the main engine grounds, and the inside of the distributor cap. If it's cracked or fouled, when hot, it can also produce the same condition you describe.
I haven't seen anything chewed. Where do I find the coolant temp sensor for the ECM? I will take a look at the distributor cap. Outside looks totally fine, but I will look inside.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #22

Quote:
As noted above the so called limp mode is for the Transmission and not the engine or the how the engine runs.

If the code reader gives a Limp Mode code it will also have another code that caused the Limp Mode in the CM (Continuous Memory) part of the read out.

I received the code reader today. I'm going to run the tests. I will post what I find.

Sean
Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #23

Quote:

If the code reader gives a Limp Mode code it will also have another code that caused the Limp Mode in the CM (Continuous Memory) part of the read out.

I got a error code 334, high EGR closed valve voltage. Since I replaced the EGR valve and the pressure sensor, I assume it isn't that, unless my sensor is defective or wrong. When I bought the sensor, 2 options were available at Oreilly's: https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/l.../1995/ford/f53. The one in stock was a 1 terminal position sensor. The other was listed as a special order, 3 terminal position sensor. They said the one I got should be fine, but is that right?

Sean
Old 06-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
That sounds like a KOEO code.
Did you get a 334,334, 1, 111, 111?
If you did not get the second set of 111's then you did not wait for the Continuous Memory codes to read out.
The Continuous Memory (CM) codes is what we are most interested in for your problem.

/
Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #25

Quote:
That sounds like a KOEO code.
Did you get a 334,334, 1, 111, 111?
If you did not get the second set of 111's then you did not wait for the Continuous Memory codes to read out.
The Continuous Memory (CM) codes is what we are most interested in for your problem.

/
Oh, yes, the full series was 334, 10, 334, 1, 111, 111.

Sean
Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by semcha View Post
I have an 1994 Itasca Suncruiser with a Ford 53 chassis. I'm trying to figure out what kicks the engine into limp home mode. It happens after driving for about 45 minutes, so it's after the engine is thoroughly warmed up. If I turn off the ignition, and restart after 10 seconds or so, it resets, and the engine runs fine for a variable amount of time. Sometimes 10 minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes. The fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, and EGR valve have been replaced. I don't have a way to get code readings. What should I look at next? I'm thinking cleaning the throttle body. The engine only has 34,000 miles, so I figured sensors made sense, especially since it resets when I turn it off and on. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sean
We chased this type of problem for 3 years on a 1994 E350 with a 460 ci in V8. After $6k, it was tracked down to the loss of the speed sensor signal as it came out of the instrument panel. There is a company that rebuilt and thermally tested the instrument panel.
dstone7273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstone7273 View Post
We chased this type of problem for 3 years on a 1994 E350 with a 460 ci in V8. After $6k, it was tracked down to the loss of the speed sensor signal as it came out of the instrument panel. There is a company that rebuilt and thermally tested the instrument panel.
The 1994 F53 instrument panel does NOT output a speed sensor signal to anything.

The speed sensor signal goes from the parking brake right to the PCM Computer Module. It does "T" off to the Speed Control Module and PSOM also.

/
Old 06-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #28

TFI module

Could be mounted on the distributor or remote mounted on a heatsink mounted some where.

Not easy to test them especially heat related intermittent.

Second guess would be the hall sensor inside the distributor, last time I changed one it was not easy the next time I changed distributors.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford