Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #1

1995 F53 dash air conditioner receiver/drier

1995 F53 dash air conditioner receiver/drier, expansion valve.

My dash a/c compressor recently gave up the ghost. It took 3 attempts to procure the correct compressor. The new compressor is in but not electrically. Had to have compressor installed to safely drive the MH as the a/c belt also powers the hydraulic assist pump for steering and brakes.

To complete the a/c repair I need to procure an accumulator and expansion valve. On all of the auto parts web pages the accumulator listed is not the correct one. And they all call for an orifice tube not an expansion valve.

Is there anyone out there that has the information I need to acquire these two parts. Specifically, part numbers and suppliers.

The attached picture is what my receiver drier looks like. The inlet and outlet are the same thread size both being 5/8" 18 tpi (??) The outlet has a brass fitting on it that I believe is called a "dry break connection."

Thank you, in advance.
Attached Images

Pilotanpia is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #2

Pilotanpia; Do a search online for that number on the yellow label on the RD, that should be the Parker part number for your receiver/dryer. Any good refrigeration supply house should be able to supply you with one, or if it has been superseded by a new one, the new part number unit. As far as the expansion valve, what is wrong with it? Full of the famous Ford Black Death? There should be a part number somewhere on the body of it where you can do an internet search for it as well. If you cannot find one you may be able to clean it using refrigeration flushing solvent and back flush it. I have a cheap ultrasonic jewellery bath I use to clean some stuff with, comes out clean as a whistle. I will say that most refrigeration systems with an expansion valve should have a screen or filter to trap that crap before it gets to the expansion valve.

Was your system R-12 or R-134 before? I would imagine it was R-12 out of the factory because of the year. IF you are going back R-134 you may want to check that the expansion valve you have will work correctly with R-134. R-134 may require a different final jet size in the expansion valve.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #3

Almost forgot if you are converting from R-12 to R-134 your fill will be 80% of refrigerant by weight.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #4

RealNiceTent,
Automobile manufacturers began to transition to the non-ozone depleting refrigerant, HFC-134a, with 1992 model year vehicles. By the 1995 model year, all new vehicles sold in the United States with air conditioners used HFC-134a refrigerant.
Ford was inline with the 1992 change over.
The OP's coach has R134A from the OEM.

Richard
Old 12-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #5

To the OP, if you find the dryer, I too am in need of one. I looked and searched for several months with no luck. The part number is obsolete, and parts stores were no help.
I wish you better luck than I have had.

Damon
Old 12-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #6

I like your idea for cleaning the expansion valve. I will give that a try.
The picture of the dryer on my OP is one that I downloaded from another post. I can not read the digits. There were no p/n's on my dryer.
I have found some dryers that might work but they do not have the "dry break" connection fitting.
My system is factory R134a
I'll continue to look.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotanpia View Post
I like your idea for cleaning the expansion valve. I will give that a try.
The picture of the dryer on my OP is one that I downloaded from another post. I can not read the digits. There were no p/n's on my dryer.
I have found some dryers that might work but they do not have the "dry break" connection fitting.
My system is factory R134a
I'll continue to look.

I'm digging through my photos, I believe the dryer picture is mine from a post a number of years back, when my compressor clutch bearing failed, I'll try to confirm, but I lost some photos with a hard drive failure in the spring.
I believe you need to get both a standard and metric thread gauge set and check the size, mine is metric.
My receipt for the one I purchased is 1660 miles away, I'll try for a close-up photo and post it ASAP.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:42 PM   #8

Ok, I was able to find the original in a compressed file and even enlarged and cropped I can't say for sure what the number is .

005740-00 or 005745-00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reciever Dryer 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	382124  
Old 12-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #9

https://airstreamtrailerparts.com/pr...er-690382-104/
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:25 PM   #10

Getting closer to obtaining a good drier

Thank you for reposting the pic. I will try a search and see what happens.
In the meantime I pulled the drier and did some measurements. I found that the inlet and outlet are both the same. They are 5/8"-18tpi. I found a drier at O'Reilly p/n: MRY 33417, which has the correct threads. However, this drier does not have a "dry break connector." I will have to have a hose made up at NAPA, as the existing hose has the dry break connection. I may try removing the dry break piston and connect it to the outlet then do a draw-down leak check. If it holds, I won't need to buy a new hose. The main obstacle right now is that we are on the road making our way to California. The drier has to be ordered and shipped to an address, not a store.
As far as the expansion valve, I may go ahead and leave it. There is no debris in the hoses that I removed. I will flush the system excluding the compressor.
I will keep you posted.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #11

I'm assuming your dash HVAC unit is an Evans/Tempcon product and the last paragraph of this document may be of some help.
Also the diagram provides some insight into the issue of who supplied what, when it comes to Class A dash A/C parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evans Parts.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	382209  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EVANS HVAC PARTS ID CHEAT SHEET.pdf (82.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 10:20 PM   #12

Today, I finally located a drier for my air conditioner.
First of all, the existing drier in my unit has 5/8" 18 tpi male connections. This was verified by Contractor's Maintenance, in San Luis Obispo. I have ordered several driers from O'Reilly Auto, all of which stated that the driers had 5/8" male connections. Contractor's Maintenance verified that the O'Reilly driers had 16mm male connections. Very close to 5/8" but will not work.
After returning the last O'Reilly drier, I began my online quest once again. I stumbled upon the Summit Racing site and found what they call a "vintage drier." The p/n: 07321 YUC, did not list the thread size in the product description but I looked at the questions at the bottom and found that someone had asked what the thread configuration was. Summit answered with: "5/8" 18 tpi." I called to verify and then placed the order. The drier will be here on the 29th.
Take aways:
1. Verify your thread diameter and pitch. You can do this by finding a company that builds hydraulic and a/c hoses. Take your drier down there and have them determine the thread size and configuration.
2. Do NOT trust the auto parts stores' descriptions and specs. In my instance their spec was incorrect 100% of the time.
3. The older motorhomes (pre 2000) generally have sae threads whereas the newer ones are metric.
4. A 16mm B-nut will screw onto a 5/8" 18 tpi nearly 4 complete turns then stops. Be careful so you don't strip the threads and ruin a returnable component.

I now have to wait a couple weeks to make my repair as I am at Pismo State Beach North Beach Campground and they are strict about "no working on rigs." And, "they" keep a close eye on the few campers that are here.

Anyway, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call compressors international in CA.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #14

Thanks for the update.
I am excited to learn if in fact you have located the correct dryer.
Damon

Tags
air, air conditioner, dash, dash air, f53