Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

1997 F53 460 Oil Cooler

I think my OEM oil cooler has bitten the dust. Since this thing appears to made out of "unobtainium", does any anyone have an alternative; i.e. a substitute, removal, etc?

Any alternatives for a more easily obtained OEM cooler?

If removal, any part numbers for filter adapter, hoses, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!
TommieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #2

Google DERALE.COM.. then order off favorite online store.. I measured the hard lines.. then just cut them in good spot.. using copper pipe cutters.. don't use hacksaw or anything but pipe cutters.. then use hi temp oil cooler line.. I like to slip about 6 to 8in on hard lines and double clamp.. but if you want you can use compression fitting to barb hose fitting.. I have never had line fail because I just slip on..
Put cooler in good spot.. I hanged mine from channel over next to battery.. and I have one over on pass side for trans.. then i tied two fan wires together on one switch..
I also added some lower flat supports to frame out coolers.. so.. I have eng oil cooler on drivers side.. and one on pass side..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 11-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #3

I haven't studied on mine but for another application I found a cooler, the hoses, adapter and everything off a 460 E-series ambulance in a salvage yard. Not the same as new but OEM Ford anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

New wrinkle

I was cleaning the overflow tank today and was surprised to find that the brown sludge was very water soluble. If it is oil in the water wouldn't it have some sort of oily residue?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #5

You may not know.. that ford uses the same light duty ford pickup eng and trans from f250 as is in the f53.. so you may want to go online or into auto parts store and grab a basic automotive repair book for 1997 ford f250 and f350.. it will give you great maintenance guide and eng and trans specs.. i like Haynes basic automotive repair book...
It sounds that if you are finding crud in radiator overflow.. you need full radiator flush and refill.. but there will be so much more basic maintenance items that need to be done.
So get yourself a basic automotive repair book and get started..
I don't understand how you are jumping from trans cooler question to radiator overflow question..
So get a book.. there will be a lot of chassis wiring diagrams in there too. The Haynes book covers cooling system too.. it's real basic and will make great addition to the rv library
So good luck and keep us posted
Old 11-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
You may not know.. that ford uses the same light duty ford pickup eng and trans from f250 as is in the f53.. so you may want to go online or into auto parts store and grab a basic automotive repair book for 1997 ford f250 and f350.. it will give you great maintenance guide and eng and trans specs.. i like Haynes basic automotive repair book...
It sounds that if you are finding crud in radiator overflow.. you need full radiator flush and refill.. but there will be so much more basic maintenance items that need to be done.
So get yourself a basic automotive repair book and get started..
I don't understand how you are jumping from trans cooler question to radiator overflow question..
So get a book.. there will be a lot of chassis wiring diagrams in there too. The Haynes book covers cooling system too.. it's real basic and will make great addition to the rv library
So good luck and keep us posted
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I do currently have the Ford F53 manual, but I am like you, I tend to like the Haynes better.
I started this thread about my Oil Cooler and hence the sludge that was in the overflow. That is why I was surprised to find that the sludge was water soluble. I have since read that mixed coolant of different types could also cause this. This thing has been sitting up for quite some time. The system has definitely got to have a thorough flushing.

Tags
f53, oil cooler