Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 06:49 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstaar17 View Post
The green wire lights my test light but the pink wire does not.
Then the inertia switch has been tripped and is an open circuit.
Do not drop the fuel tank as your problem is with the inertia switch.

Push the red button down on the top to reset it.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #30

By all means make sure your inertia switch isn't an issue first. Years ago I recall having to replace a couple that have bad connections inside. These caused enough heat that the sides of the plastic switch were discolored and somewhat distorted. So it could be an issue beyond just being tripped. The switch is a heck of a lot easier to work on than the tank.

But as far as the motorcycle jack. I measured the lift height of mine, subtracted about an inch and used the RV's jacks to raise the coach as much as I could by. I just about hit the mark but the lift wasn't really all that much, the rear tires stayed planted pretty well. I'm on the slim side of medium sized and had no problems fitting under mine.

Though my tank sat nicely on my jack I didn't trust it and had a planned escape route. It doesn't do you a lot of good to avoid a falling tank if you half knock your brains out on a frame rail doing it.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a pump with an issue,, i could only pull 20-22 gallon and she would die... There was a bracket spotwelded to pick up tube,, it had cracked and would suck air..

I was able to drain tank from the bung in the bottom.. much lighter to drop... I used 2 floor jacks an a board... it was not bad empty..

OH and the poster with the drawings was great.. I have ALLDATA and used it many times...to fix rv and lend a hand here,,, THANKS for good info
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:09 AM   #32

I wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post

I have not only pushed the button, I have replaced the switch. A couple weeks ago. So there could be an issue with the wire? It was supposed to light up with both the green and pink wires? My RV was hit by another RV while in storage so I focused on the inertia switch at the beginning and the old switch did not pop up the red button every time I smacked it so I replaced it with a new switch and hit the button, no joy. No fuel pressure.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:13 AM   #33

I wonder if I need to replace that connector.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:57 AM   #34

Quote:

I been searching on google and I see that the green wire goes to the fuel pump relay and the pink wire goes directly to the fuel pump. With the key on and the button on the switch pressed in power is supposed to be supplied to the pink wire. So green wire has power because the relay is good but nothing from pink wire. Now I’m not sure if I need to try and back probe the pink wire with the switch in place or if I’m supposed to get power to the pink wire when I turn key on even if not connected to the inertia switch. I also seen where the pink wire my only light for 2-3 seconds when turning the key so I will place the TPin in the pink side of the connector to see if it lights. When I go back out. If it does I will search for C219. It’s supposed to be by the transmission somewhere.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #35

I didn’t try to start the rig but if there is an issue with the pink wire, shouldn’t me jumping #6 to ground bypass the inertia switch? I’m also going to see if this causes the fuel pump to kick on, then I know that I don’t have to drop the tank. I will be so happy. So it’s not the switch it’s looking like the problem is with the pink wire as there’s no power to it.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:29 AM   #36

Quote:
I didnít try to start the rig but if there is an issue with the pink wire, shouldnít me jumping #6 to ground bypass the inertia switch? Iím also going to see if this causes the fuel pump to kick on, then I know that I donít have to drop the tank. I will be so happy. So itís not the switch itís looking like the problem is with the pink wire as thereís no power to it.
Grounding 6 only activates the relay, if you suspect the inertia switch remove the connector and jumper it.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I also seen where the pink wire my only light for 2-3 seconds when turning the key
If pin #6 is not grounded power will only be on both wires at the inertia switch for one second if the engine is not cranking or running.
Note that one second is longer then you may think.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Grounding 6 only activates the relay, if you suspect the inertia switch remove the connector and jumper it.
Youíre saying cut both wires and merge them together?
Old 06-15-2020, 12:10 AM   #39

Appreciate It

Quote:
If pin #6 is not grounded power will only be on both wires at the inertia switch for one second if the engine is not cranking or running.
Note that one second is longer then you may think.
With #6 grounded nothing from the red wire and I bought a new inertia switch and tried to reset, no joy.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:59 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
With #6 grounded nothing from the red wire and I bought a new inertia switch and tried to reset, no joy.
What red wire?
Do you mean the pink wire with a black stripe?

Are you using a loading test light (non LED)?

If the loading test light lights up on the dark green wire with a yellow strip going to the Inertia switch and does not light up on the pink wire with a black stripe from the Inertia switch with pin #6 grounded and the key on then you have a bad connector at the Inertia switch.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #41

Quote:
What red wire?

If the loading test light lights up on the dark green wire with a yellow strip going to the Inertia switch and does not light up on the pink wire with a black stripe from the Inertia switch with pin #6 grounded and the key on then you have a bad connector at the Inertia switch.
Sorry I meant the pink wire with black stripe and that’s exactly what is happening. I ordered a new connector. It has different colors and an extra wire but it should still work as it is the same connector. I’m hoping I will be able to pull the to wires to expose more because it’s really tight and will be hard to splice in. So I will replace the connector. In theory I should be able to join the green and pink wires together and the pump should work if the pump isn’t the problem? I want to say thanks again for your guidance. I will be very happy if I don’t have to drop that gas tank.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #42

Quote:
What red wire?

So I cut the green and pink wires from the connector and used wire strippers to expose them. Using a multimeter with #6 of EEC grounded to a good ground and key to on I get 11.80 volts from the green wire and 0 volts from the pink wire. I have a repair manual but it doesn’t tell me the theory of operation for the pink wire. I just know that that wire goes to the fuel pump and 12 volts from the green means the fuel pump relay is good. I’m thinking it’s pointless to install the new connector until I figure out why nothing from the pink wire or do I need to install the connector and hit the reset button? Note I joined the pink and green wire together to see if she would start but no joy.

Tags
f53, ford, no start