Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
1997 Ford F53 V8 460 Crank No Start

Help. She cranks but will not start. Battery is good, terminals replaced, inertia switch is not activated, I hear a click from the relay, swapped relays anyway with no joy, performed fuel pressure test with cheap Harbor Freight gage and got zero pressure. As I was about to start looking at the fuel pump, I started probing all fuzes in the distribution box with a test light. No power to fuse 11 (Starter relay coil) not even with key in start. The 30amp fuze is good but no power is supplied to the fuze. Now I'm scratching my head.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it cranks fuse #11 and power to it is OK.
Sounds like a bad fuel pump.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
If it cranks fuse #11 and power to it is OK.
Sounds like a bad fuel pump.
It does. I will first try a fuel filter and I still have no pressure, swap pumps.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

My 93 did the same. dropped the tank changes pump but before replacing tank tested the new pump, would not run. Checked power in harness all was good. Being an electrician started tracing continuity from pump back. Found the terminal on top of the tank was bad and not sending voltage thru to pump connection in tank. To keep from hunting down a new 3 pipe plate I drilled the plate and inserted a plastic covered crimp sleeve in the hole and made the connections then sealed the sleeve with gas resistant silicone on both sides. So far so good.
ceb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
My 93 did the same. dropped the tank changes pump but before replacing tank tested the new pump, would not run. Checked power in harness all was good. Being an electrician started tracing continuity from pump back. Found the terminal on top of the tank was bad and not sending voltage thru to pump connection in tank. To keep from hunting down a new 3 pipe plate I drilled the plate and inserted a plastic covered crimp sleeve in the hole and made the connections then sealed the sleeve with gas resistant silicone on both sides. So far so good.
I was hoping it wasn’t the pump. I replaced the fuel filter and tested the inertia switch. Switch wasn’t functioning at its beat so I’m going to replace it. I don’t want to drop the tank with 60 gallons so I’ll have it towed to a repair place. I really just wanted to isolate it to the fuel pump. There’s no fuel pressure and I had my wife turn the key while listening at the fuel tank, no sound. Just waiting on my income tax to get her to a shop.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:59 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Before puling tank, check under hood fuse box. If horn works, switch horn and fuel pump relays. This fixed my fuel problem. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
To drop tank containing fuel, Go on Youtube. Buy 2 heavy crank straps, put around fuel tank and frame braces, unbolt and slowly lower tank. Guy did it on Youtube. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

I try and ignore Youtube howtos, too many talking heads with zero qualifications. Just changed my pump. Half full 70 gallon tank. I put a piece of plywood down and threw my motorcycle jack under it. Let down and jacked back up, easy peasy. I don't think I'd like using load straps. Cheaper though I expect. Different strokes...
My jack I already had as a father's day present. It came from WalMart but it's basically like this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...BoCODQQAvD_BwE
I'm not big on loaning out tools but if I knew a neighbor was faced with such a job, I'd have my jack right over to them.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
Before puling tank, check under hood fuse box. If horn works, switch horn and fuel pump relays. This fixed my fuel problem. Eddie Elk.
Thanks, I checked the relays and distribution box fuses but will double check. I ordered a new inertia switch to see if it’s that. I want to read voltage at the tank. If that doesn’t work. Replace fuel pump.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
To drop tank containing fuel, Go on Youtube. Buy 2 heavy crank straps, put around fuel tank and frame braces, unbolt and slowly lower tank. Guy did it on Youtube. Eddie Elk.
Ok I’m very tempted. Thanks
Old 05-21-2020, 02:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I try and ignore Youtube howtos, too many talking heads with zero qualifications. Just changed my pump. Half full 70 gallon tank. I put a piece of plywood down and threw my motorcycle jack under it. Let down and jacked back up, easy peasy. I don't think I'd like using load straps. Cheaper though I expect. Different strokes...
My jack I already had as a father's day present. It came from WalMart but it's basically like this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...BoCODQQAvD_BwE
I'm not big on loaning out tools but if I knew a neighbor was faced with such a job, I'd have my jack right over to them.
Looking at that jack. Makes the job seem like I can definitely get it done. My next concern is rusty bolts. Maybe I’ll spray with WD40.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:08 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to ground pin #6 or short pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug (connector). Then turn the key to the run position and then you can trace the power to the pump with a loading ice pick test light.

Note the EEC self-test plug (connector) is also called the Data Link Connector.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstaar17 View Post
Looking at that jack. Makes the job seem like I can definitely get it done. My next concern is rusty bolts. Maybe I’ll spray with WD40.
WD 40 is not a rust penetrant. Get a good spray penetrant instead.
HarryStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #14

The last few years I've been using PB Blaster. It stinks but seems to have some actual penetrating value. It's paraffin based and mechanics have been using paraffin for such for well over a hundred years. so there's that. I find that if it helps, it does best if left overnight. I've tried about every other penetrant out there and found them useless. PB at least seems to help sometimes.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford, no start