Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #1

1999 F-53 shifts hard

This rv has 45,000 miles with transmission rebuilt about 3-4 years ago. Less than 1000 miles on it. Before rebuild, it shifted hard then I did'nt use the coach except for 30 mile trips to keep it "oiled up". When it shifted hard before, it seems like it was alway or mostly while towing. I just had a vehicle converted to tow and its shifting hard again. I seem to remember going over the mountains a loud fan cooling the transmission and hav'nt heard it for ages. Could that be the cause of hard shifting...........transmission getting too hot since I'm towing again? Thanks, Dave Mckinney
djay56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #2

Probably has a shift kit installed during rebuild....do you know which trans is in your RV?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #3

I have a '99 F53 also. When my speedometer would not work intermittently (since fixed) the trans would shift very hard. The speed sensor in the differential sends the signal to the computer and the speedometer. I had to replace the speed sensor in the differential plus the plug and a section of wiring that leads to the frame rail. This fixed most of the problem but also found that the plug in harness on the left lower side of the instrument cluster was not getting good signal. Had to clean the contacts with alcohol and q-tips, then I bent the contacts in the cluster out a little with a pick. No problems now.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

The roaring fan may not effect the transmission shifting but you should look into replacing the fan clutch.

If you have the V10 engine, 4 speed trans combo, every time you disconnect the battery, the adaptive memory goes out in the transmission, and it needs time to relearn.

Have you driven it more then short trips to see what happens ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

There are many, many reasons why this might happen. The only way to know if there is something wrong is to check for codes.

The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. A good independent shop can, or a Ford dealer, or you can download Forscan for free at www.forscan.org. You will need an ELM327 adapter to connect to your phone, or even better, a laptop. I use a wired ELM327 with a laptop. The adapter cost less than $30 from Amazon.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to cut short a trip out west in 2009 because of this. There is a Ford TSB out on the 1999 F53 for this problem. I did the TSB and the transmission started shifting like new. Check with waiter 21 post and you will find the TSB. I guarantee it will cure the problem.
If you have a drivers door it is a easy repair. If not, good luck standing on your head. Lol.
If no drivers door, removing the seat helps a lot.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The roaring fan may not effect the transmission shifting but you should look into replacing the fan clutch.

If you have the V10 engine, 4 speed trans combo, every time you disconnect the battery, the adaptive memory goes out in the transmission, and it needs time to relearn.

Have you driven it more then short trips to see what happens ?
Hi ga. traveler. may I ask your help in how to find waiter 21 and his tsb. I'm totally unfamiliar with this board and the way it operates. Thankyou, David
djay56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay56 View Post
Hi ga. traveler. may I ask your help in how to find waiter 21 and his tsb. I'm totally unfamiliar with this board and the way it operates. Thankyou, David
I just go down the list and find something with his name on it and press his name.

Hold the phone! I just googled and found the site. Google ——TSB from ford for hard shifting on a 1999 f53. It will bring up waiter 21s post about the TSB.

Tags