Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #1

1999 F53 Chassis Brake Lines

Would anyone know what size brake lines run from the ABS module? I have no issues with being able to replace the line but currently my RV is in rural South Georgia while I'm at home in Florida. It would be much easier to buy the correct items while in a urban environment.
Discal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Best bet would be to buy several lengths of line with ends and a few unions.

Then you can just replace the bad section.

Probably a good idea to bring a double flare kit along as well.

There's likely a NAPA store somewhere around to get parts.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

I was able to splice in a new section of line. But I can tell she's going to need all new lines under her. To many snow days in her past. Thanks for the reply, NAPA is and was my go to.
Discal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #4

Any motorhome of that age should have all of it's brake lines carefully inspected for corrosion. Also, if you don't do it, flush old brake fluid from the system every three years or so. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water. Heavy brake useage will cause the water to boil and the water vapor will seriously affect brake efficiency. This applies to your cars as well.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi,
From the ABS they are 3/16". I bought two coils of copper-Nickel alloy, 25' each, and a double flare flaring tool. This is the link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Line-Un...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Cheers,
Dan
Dank1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1945 View Post
Hi,
From the ABS they are 3/16". I bought two coils of copper-Nickel alloy, 25' each, and a double flare flaring tool. This is the link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Line-Un...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Cheers,
Dan
When one of my lines rusted out i replaced the 4 lines from the ABS module to the front. I bought the same brake line as Dan. This brake line is easy to bend by hand. Take off ONE line at a time, and tape the new line along the old to get it to mirror the old for length and bends. you will disturb the bends when installing. once installed you can tweak the fitment. I Bought THIS flare tool, easy to use after a few test flares. There are several YouTube videos on this tool.
Also bought THIS handy light. Its bright and the base is magnetic. I liked it so much i bought another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.10.26 AM.png
Views:	83
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	321618
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.31.04 AM.png
Views:	40
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	321619  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced my front lines last year on my 2011 chassis after a leak from corrosion. I replaced the rears this week along with the two lines that run to the master cylinder. The rears were 1/4 inch line while the others were 3/16. I hate that Ford uses steel lines.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #8

Fitting sizes

Hi guys , I am looking to replace my brake lines but every line to the abs looks to have a different fitting.
2006 f53 20,500
The line fitting go into a big nut thing into the abs module. Are these removable if I can not match the fittings. Please help if you know the fitting size and type.
I will try and post a pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00FA5895-6DE5-41D1-88E4-0B221938DC4E.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	352647   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E4357E0-62B2-447F-865F-BDB22C54389C.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	352648  

Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:56 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Hi guys , I am looking to replace my brake lines but every line to the abs looks to have a different fitting.
2006 f53 20,500
The line fitting go into a big nut thing into the abs module. Are these removable if I can not match the fittings. Please help if you know the fitting size and type.
Use open end wrenches to check size of both fitting, maybe Metric. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE LINE WITH THE OPEN END WRENCHES. Then get good quality flare nut wrenches to fit each one to remove ONLY the small nuts. Use the second flare nut wrench to keep the larger nut from turning.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:07 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree, but yes they are removable. Mine just had two sizes. You can remove them and match them up at an auto parts store like Napa. I had a friend who bent the lines for me and he had the appropriate fittings on hand.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two years ago i had 1 rusted out brake line that failed in my driveway. Lucky me.
It was a steel line going from the ABS controller attached to the frame going forward to the front right. There were 3 additional lines with minor rust and i decided to replace all 4.

I first went to ford and they could get 3 of them. Had to return 1 as it was the wrong part. Luckily the 2 from ford that were correct were short and easy to install. The other 2 were about 4' long with bends most of its length. I removed 1 line and went to my local mechanic and they made me the line out of copper nickel brake line using the original end fittings. The copper nickel tubing is easy to bend with your hands to get around this and that. After that was installed i removed the last one and had the mechanic make that one. I did one at a time to avoid any errors.

While i was under there i changed all of the rubber lines to the calipers.

If i had to do this again knowing what i now know i woulld buy a coil of the copper nickel brake line and a good tool to double flare the line. I did buy them as they weren't that costly on amazon.

Buy a few cans of spray brake cleaner and clean all fittings before removing.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

Copper nickel line
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

double flare tool. Easy to use with perfect results.

trouble magnetic light. Boy did that come in handy.

Getting the correct hose to the calipers was the challenge. Went to Napa and they had 3 of which 2 were not correct.

Rockauto was a little confusing as there were several choices. What did help with rock auto was comparing their photo to my part and that worked.

Toad 2010 Ford Ranger and 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
2006 f53 20,500
The line to the far right in your first picture looks like it was already replaced at one time. It does not have the spiral protection around the line like the others and it is threaded into a reducer fitting before the fitting into the ABS module.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #13

update brake line sizes

hi guys , I have measured the thread sizes in the photo.
top left rear brake 1/4 tube thread 10.2 mm
next rear brake 1/4 tube 12.4 mm
frount brake 3/16 tube nut thread 10.4 mm
the one with a new adapter 3/16 tube nut thread 12.2 mm
lines from the master cylinder 3/16 tube bottom nut thread 11.0 mm
top nut thread 12.0 mm. I cant understand all the sizes?
As suggested I have some brake cleaner and will try measuring again after cleaning. All so got set of metric and sae tube wrenches
Does any one remember if these are all metric bubble flare ?
I looked at the master cylinder and the rock auto part said 9/19-18 for one port and 1/2-20 for the other I measures 1/4 tube but cant measure the dia till i get a better tool, there are reducer fitting from 1/2 to 3/16 in the line to abs unit.
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:15 PM   #14

On a domestic Ford chassis around that year they should be standard double flares. My favorite tool for getting extremely stuck/stripped brake lines off is a carefully wielded pair of vice grips. Clamped bloody tight before even thinking about turning and they work surprisingly well. I have more in the proper line wrenches, crowsfeet, and butterfly sockets than I care to add up and yet I keep coming back to the vice grips.
Another technique is to simply cut off the line right at the fitting and then you can get a good six point socket on them. Not a technique I care for as I usually need to either put the line back on or make a nice duplicate of it and I prefer to have them complete when doing that.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, brake, chassis, f53