Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
1999 v-10

Hi my nephew is looking at a '99 coachman C class, 31' on a Ford E super duty chassis. What years did Ford have with the spark plugs, I remrmber reading about them but I don't remember what years.
Thanks Rick & Robin
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
They changed to 8 threads during 2000, some 2000 heads may have 4 threads. They had another problem that caused misalignment of the plugs which was corrected in 2003.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 4 thread plugs may or may not be a problem. I have 63K on mine and still running strong(knock on wood!) as do many others with the early V 10. At this stage in the game and for the amount of $$ he might invest, I'd say it's worth the gambol. There is a repair kit available if he does blow a plug.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
'99 coachman C class, 31' on a Ford E super duty chassis.
It will have the 4 thread spark plug heads. It really isn't a problem IF the work on changing the plugs is done correctly. #3 spark plug is the most difficult to get at on the Van chassis and I believe #5 on the F series truck chassis, and those are the ones to blow out because of not being torqued correctly.
When we bought ours (used) the plugs were changed. Evidently it wasn't done right and #3 blew out. Being very hard of hearing I didn't hear the exhaust leak or I would have retorqued it correctly myself. I had it repaired at a Ford dealer and they guaranteed I wouldn't have another failure from their work. It was done correctly and 20,000 miles later no problem. (I did recheck them myself before going on a cross country trip and they were good) I have no more fears of a sp blow out from now on it's a good engine. To the best of my knowledge they didn't put the 3 valve engine in the vans because of heat build up or maybe it was lack of room as it's pretty tight in those engine compartments
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everybody for the info, my nephew is still looking, he wants to stay with the 460 V8
Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 2 cents worth....
I have a 2000 Pace 33 foot coach on a Ford chassis powered by a Ford V10 engine with 112,000 on the clock an it is still ''ticking'' like a fine swiss watch. I wish everything on the coach was as reliable as the V10. I change the oil every 5000 miles and I try to keep it at or below 3500 rpm most of the time. I talked to a full timer once that had a coach exactly like mine (even the color scheme) and he told me that his V10 had over 200,000 miles on it and he had never had a problem with it. From all I can read and all I hear the V10's are one fine engine and seem to give good service for a long time.
Mind you this is just my opinion concerning the Ford V10. Yours may differ.

God keep our troops safe....... and bring them home soon ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #7

I also have 2008 V-10 with 55,400 miles, no problems and runs strong. I would say if you find a MH with the V8 you like great but do not rule out any MH with the V-10.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
IC2

I have a V10 powered TV which has been a great truck and with "only" 72,000 miles on it feel that it has just been broken in. This is a '06 with the three valve engine. This is a much improved engine as far as Hp and torque along with better exhaust as well as no spark plug blow out problem. A later vehicle is worth looking for if the budget allows.

A mention about the spark plugs on the later engine 3 valve is that the Ford engineers traded one problem for another in that they spec'd a very long body and expensive plug that can get carbon locked in place and you have a problem removing them plus they occasionally break while removing if the Ford TSB isn't followed. If they break, well that's another set of tooling, time and dollars. These $$$ (~$15/each) plugs have a 100K life span so many folks never have that worry.

I do have to say that for pure honest working grunt, the venerable 460 absolutely cannot be beaten, especially if it has better cylinder heads then the later shrouded one and an improved RV camshaft set 'straight up' - but those days are mostly gone
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rick,

The 460 is a tough motor indeed, however your nephew will have to look at older coaches for that motor. Class A 460s were 1998 and older (though some late 98's had the V10) and Class C 460s were (I believe) 1996 and older.

The 460 will really "wake up" with a set of headers and good exhaust. Mine did!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks again for the info, he is trying to stay under $15k. He's not in a hurry,and he is very handy,and he has a pop up now and 4 kids. I am looking to go the header route on my rig, any preference Thorley or Banks
Thanks Rick & Robin
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rick,

Banks is the gold standard and priced accordingly ($$$$). Thorley and Gibson are good too.

I purchased the Hedman Elite coated headers and Flowmaster exhaust. They both make packages that are bolt-on and CARB certified for the F53 chassis. I spent just under $1000 for the headers AND exhaust from SummitRacing.com.

Toughest part is getting the old exhaust manifold bolts out without breaking any. I was lucky and mine all came out in one piece.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote