Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2003 v10 loss of power

I hoping that someone may have helpful advice for me. My 03 MH with Ford 6.8 V10 (34000 miles) and I were traveling down the road when the engine lost all acceleration and basically coasted to the side of the road. I was monitoring some function with Torque Pro and there were no unusual readings.. temps on engine and trans. and no trouble codes found. Engine would idle but wandered from 400 to 700 rpm. The moment I pressed the accelerator (cabled) the engine would almost die out completely. There was no moving under power. Also, restarted several times while waiting for a tow truck and it started right up each time. Fast forward two weeks and the repair shop called me and reported that everything was running great. They had not found any problems. Told me to come pick it up and if it happens again bring it back but without any presenting problems they were clueless as to where to start. Here's what is happening now as reported from the Torque Pro app...
All temperatures good- engine 195, trans 175
Battery voltage good 13.4v
Cylinder head temp 225
Mass air flow ~80cfm idle to ~900cfm @ 3000rpm
O2 sensors normal range
Fuel trim normal range
Timing adv 12deg cold idle to 20+deg @ 3000rpm
Throttle position reporting consistent
Total MISFIRE COUNT for roughly 15 miles was 63. Wondering if this is excessive. I cannot check which cylinders are misfiring.. not sure if this is available on this vintage OBD, I just cannot see them. Just total misfires.
Also, fuel pressure was 30 and jumped to 38 with vacuum disconnected from FPR.
Hoping for some ideas here.
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #2

I saw this happen on an F-150 V8 with the same basic type air filter and housing.

Take a look at the air filter. I have seen the black plastic cap on the end of the filter come off and get sucked into engine side of the intake a filter housing. Chokes the air flow basically killing the engine. When the engine dies , so does suction and the plastic falls down. Then you go again and the process repeats, depending how long it takes for the plastic to get sucked back into the tube.

You would think the shop would have looked at the air filter, but you never know…
Old 07-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, checked that as well as cleaned the MAF sensor while I was in there but it all looked very clean inside.
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loss of power, power, v10