Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best case, one of the mechanics is calling "done" on these jobs and not telling anyone upstream about what isn't being complete. Mechanics are incented (typically) to do work faster, which doesn't work well for the consumer.

I sent emails over the service manager level - to two directors at that dealership. We'll see what they have to say.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Apparently they managed to get it done.. They're trying to offer me some sort of "Ford Advantage" - which is essentially in-house service credit. I told them that I'm not likely to be back... I'll see if I can get down there to pick it up in the next couple of days.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
So complete follow up:
As a courtesy service they said they flushed the radiator (on my to-do list). It's suspect, because it's underfilled about 1" - same spot as before. I'm debating buying radiator test strips... I should have done it, it appears to be simple on the 6.8L, but I didn't know that before.

As a courtesy they had it delivered and added fuel. That was the only thing I could agree with. It's a 1 - 1.5 hour drive from the shop, so I'll take it, even though I had some concerns. I didn't allow them to deliver to the house, as the ingress is difficult and I didn't want them to damage it, but I picked it up in a local grocery store lot.

Here's the rest of the story:
1) Wheel covers had grease all over them (hand prints). Minor and annoying.
2) They managed to damage both mirrors. Paint marks (blue, match their lifts) on the left and right mirrors. Right mirror could not be brought back into usable via electric adjustment. The driver didn't notice because he's short and has a different seat position.
3) Part of the inspection of the vehicle as that they inspected the air intake and found the air filter and throttle body to be dirty. This was written on my inspection report and I was encouraged to have this fixed. I declined, but it got me to take it apart.. Here's what I found in regard to dirty air filter and intake:

Air Filter
Throttle Body

I'm used to shops trying to sell fuel system / air intake cleaning, but I don't like when they tell me that things need it due to inspection and because they were found dirty.. To me that's outright fraud and a violation of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

I reported the mirror damage. They asked me to arrange to bring it back and have them look at it again. I declined and sent them a bill for two new mirrors + an hour of shop rate labor.

It took another 2 weeks or so to get them to cover that damage. They disputed the amount of damage, but didn't dispute the source of the paint. I had to suggest that I was going to "go public" with my experience there and I had payment with about 4 hours.

I swear, about 50% of the time that I have anything serviced, I learn why I do most of this stuff myself. A major brake job and simple differential service cost me about $1700, 4 hours of travel time, about 2 hours off work, and even more hours documenting their screw ups... For that amount of time, and for about 25% of the price, I should have done it myself.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great job reporting!!! It's to bad the consumer has to do these dances with dealers just to try and assure that a job is done correctly. I feel for those that don't have skills to know what to look for following service work. Just think how many get ripped off with this stuff?? We pay good $$$ and in many cases it's not done or done to below minimum standards.

The best we can do as consumers is to communicate these issues to as many as we can and that includes their people as well.

I don't know how you feel about this idea but I have to posters that they could call me with questions concerning service work that they need done. Some of us can offer suggested questions that they can ask and also things to look for before and during some aspects of a repair. A little understanding and knowledge is a great help when going into a shop. I really dislike dishonest dealers.

I have a student that owns and operates a shop locally (20 years). He has told me that there is enough honest work out there and he does not need to be deceptive in regards to his repair work. He an excellent diagnostic technician and is always covered up with customers that like and appreciate his skills, fairness and honesty. Word of mouth advertising reaps many rewards.

Thanks for the update.

TeJay
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I don't know how you feel about this idea but I have to posters that they could call me with questions concerning service work that they need done. Some of us can offer suggested questions that they can ask and also things to look for before and during some aspects of a repair. A little understanding and knowledge is a great help when going into a shop. I really dislike dishonest dealers.
I feel great about the idea of you helping people.. I mean, isn't that a large part of what these forums are for? I largely make my living around the internet, using it to figure out how to do things that I don't know how to do off the cuff.

I'm not sure who is dishonest here. Does the service manage actually encourage a policy of covering up jobs that they didn't complete? Do they encourage the techs to write up bogus inspection reports? Both are very egregious violations of state law, but as we know, it's relatively easy to find shops that will bill you for work that you really don't need. And yes, honest work is available, but we're talking about work that can be done in 15 minutes and turn $100 of straight profit.

I'm debating telling Ford about it. This dealer has largely done what I've asked (eventually) - but the whole situation is very bad and very well documented. I'm nothing special, but I'll bet it would have gotten right past 95% of the consumers out there.

Tags
brake, calipers