Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Unhappy 2004 Triton V10 Starting Problems

Hello!

Needing some help before paying a mobile mechanic to come to our rescue. Our motor home will not start. There was a power surge at the campground we were staying at and it fried many fuses, they were all replaced we are now finding other things wrong as well. One of them being the fact the it wont start.

There is power to the rig when the key is turn but it will not turn over in the slightest, not even a click. We have changed fuses, the starter and solenoid (they were attached to eachother), and the starter rely. The screwdriver on the solenoid tricked worked to turn it on after everything was replaced if that provides any insight.

Any tips as to how to trouble shoot? We are supposed to be on the move to our next destination on Sunday.

We also just released there is no power to our hydraulic leveling jacks. Any direction there would be helpful as well although not related to the Ford Chassis.

Thank you!!!
-A
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37U
anordaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 12:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you say the ignition turns on the dash and the starter works when the solenoid is shorted. Seems the trouble must be just the primary starter wiring.
There is often a "start" fuse. I would check that one very closely. With an ohmmeter if available.

Have you tried starting with the brakes set and trans in neutral? The shift selector switch on the trans allows starting in both park and neutral. Perhaps the park portion has failed.

If all efforts fail and shorting solenoid does start engine, you could consider buying a remote starter switch tool. It could be connected and zip tied in places leading the button out from the doghouse. Just to get home or to a shop. Be certain trans is in park when using a remote starter.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thought. If you want to troubleshoot the wiring, a diagram is needed. If you are able to get to a public library, they likely have Alldata or Mitchell available online. Usually only charge for printed pages.

Those online services are easy to use and very accurate. Determine the model year of your chassis and take along your VIN number. Look up wiring diagrams and print out to take with you.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Another thought. If you want to troubleshoot the wiring, a diagram is needed. If you are able to get to a public library, they likely have Alldata or Mitchell available online. Usually only charge for printed pages.

Those online services are easy to use and very accurate. Determine the model year of your chassis and take along your VIN number. Look up wiring diagrams and print out to take with you.
Thank you very much for all the advice! I will reference back when I get home from work and troubleshoot accordingly. May have questions at that time.

Thank you again!
anordaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by anordaby View Post
Thank you very much for all the advice! I will reference back when I get home from work and troubleshoot accordingly. May have questions at that time.

Thank you again!
On my 1999 I installed a push to start button to bypass transmission lock out and ignition key problem. I just turn key to run and push button,instant start bypassing all of Ford's in line safety switches.
Just have to be in park or neutral for safety sake.

Sent from my moto e6 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anordaby View Post
Hello!

Needing some help before paying a mobile mechanic to come to our rescue. Our motor home will not start. There was a power surge at the campground we were staying at and it fried many fuses, they were all replaced we are now finding other things wrong as well. One of them being the fact the it wont start.

There is power to the rig when the key is turn but it will not turn over in the slightest, not even a click. We have changed fuses, the starter and solenoid (they were attached to eachother), and the starter rely. The screwdriver on the solenoid tricked worked to turn it on after everything was replaced if that provides any insight.

Any tips as to how to trouble shoot? We are supposed to be on the move to our next destination on Sunday.

We also just released there is no power to our hydraulic leveling jacks. Any direction there would be helpful as well although not related to the Ford Chassis.

Thank you!!!
-A
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37U
Hello sir, there are inline fuses built right into the wiring on most ignition wiring systems. Also, there may be a starter relay that is completely separate from the fuse box in the motor home. Most likely on the firewall of the motorhome. Accessed by the outside of course. You stated that you started your motorhome with a screwdriver which leads me to believe either the start solenoind or the power wire going to it. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not have a diagram for a 2004 but here is one for a 2002.
They may be the same.

If so check the fuse # F1.7 in the Battery Junction Box as in the diagram below. Also check fuse F1.25, a 50 amp fuse in the Battery Junction Box.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Here's one for the 2006.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (127).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	372189  
Old 07-28-2022, 05:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Here's one for the 2006.
HarryStone has saved you a trip to the library.

If it helps, the diagram shows that the PCM (computer) actually sends the signal to the start relay to activate the starter solenoid, to engage the starter.
The range selector switch and the ignition switch itself, are inputs to the PCM.

So, still try it in neutral, might work. Then check fuses F1.7 10 amp and F1.28 30 amp in battery junction box out front. If you are certain the fuses are good, try swapping the starter relay in the auxiliary relay box with another relay that has same part number on it. See if it cranks over then.

If you have access to a test light or multimeter, you could verify voltage at both of those fuses as long as a helper would hold key in start position.

If it starts in neutral and not park, suspect range switch. if both fuses have voltage in start, suspect start relay.

There are many more things to check if problem hasn't been found yet.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #10

An ‘04 should be like an ‘02. ‘06 would be the 3 valve and it used a different controller. I’ll compare the above ‘02 diagram to my ‘04 diagram a bit later tonight. But pretty sure that’s the one to use.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
An ‘04 should be like an ‘02. ‘06 would be the 3 valve and it used a different controller. I’ll compare the above ‘02 diagram to my ‘04 diagram a bit later tonight. But pretty sure that’s the one to use.
Need to apologize for not noticing the diagram provided was for the wrong year.

Entirely possible that the 2002 diagram provided by Subford might be closer or even the same. PCM is not involved in the earlier wiring. Range switch and Ignition switch are in direct control.

Go with the 2002 info.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #12

Confirmed the '02 diagram is just like the '04 service manual I have.

Where are you located? Any luck finding someone to look at it?

Old 07-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Good to know.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:50 AM   #14

Get it going?

Tags
ems, problem, problems, v10