Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

2006 Stock Program Change

I had some random issues with pending codes and such so thought I would take it in to Ford and have them scan it. Nothing showed because I had removed 5star and put stock back on.

Tech says there is an update so I had him reflash ECU. I didn't think much of it so didn't really ask him details.

Took the RV for a couple of drives since then. I can swear it drives almost the same as when I had 5star installed. No crazy downshifting when going up hill. Nice and smooth drop down without any screaming high RPM's.

Is it possible Ford has changed the stock programming and didn't really publish it and now I have newer programming?

I have to hook up the toad and take a long trip and then I'll report back if it is still the same.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Is it possible Ford has changed the stock programming and didn't really publish it and now I have newer programming?
This says that is exactly what happened:

Quote:
Tech says there is an update so I had him reflash ECU.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

If I am correct, that is a pretty drastic programming change. Have you seen that from Ford before? Is it common to see?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
If I am correct, that is a pretty drastic programming change. Have you seen that from Ford before? Is it common to see?
Don't know if that's common or not. I've been running 5 Star for nearly 10 years, never had to have ford do any reprogramming

However, I'd recommend checking with 5Star regarding saving your newly programmed OEM ECU, if you haven't already done so..

You may have to have your 5Star programmer reprogrammed with your new stock program, in case you want to load the 5Star again.

Sounds like you may not have to if you're happy with the new OEM program

They may also have some input regarding the new OEM programming

Like you say, Maybe Ford finally found a comparable program...
Old 02-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When it comes to program changes and updates Ford and probably all of the other manufactures will not alert you unless it's government mandated due to emission or safety issues. They will not go out of their way to tell you of a fuel mileage or performance improvements. The owner has to make an appointment because of poor performance, hesitations during acceleration or other driving/performance issues. While they have you in to the shop for the free changes they usually recommend other services as well.

Back in the mid 80's we had a NEW Pontiac Grand Am and it would go into torque computer lock up around 26 MPH. When it did since the RPM's were to low the engine would shutter. I complained but was told that all the other units did the same thing. So I just kindly mentioned then all the other units were also set incorrectly.

A few months later I was visiting one of the techs that I previously had in my auto classes and he mentioned that they had an update to fix the shifting issue. It wasn't safety or emissions related so they were not obligated to notify me.

If GM sold 50,000 Grand Am's and only 5,000 complained of shifting issues that's less warranty work they had to do. If your ignition switch would catch on fire from a short that might eventually involve lawyers and all owners were notified.

Remember when seat belts (70's or early 80's) were released by pushing the buckle button in instead of what you do now which is pushing a red button down. In roll over accidents some passengers were coming out of their seat belts. The belt would release by pushing the button in or "Could" release by smacking the back of the buckle (violent roll over). Not all units were recalled for the fix. Only those specific lines or units that were embroiled in roll over law suits. Those are recalls involving the bean counters. Do we spend lots of $$$$$$$ recalling every unit or just those ($$) who sue the company?