Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #1

2008 E450 Drain Plug woes

Picked up a low miles (26k) great condition Winnebago Aspect 26A a couple weeks ago. Went to change the oil last week in the Triton V10 last weekend. Steel drain pan.

It took me 15 minutes with a 1/2" ratchet and a pipe extension to get the $^#! drain plug out. WTH!!! It would appear the idiot new guy operating the air impact gun at the last oil change (done at a Valvoline Oil Change store in Dallas, according to his records) was a little overzealous with his torque settings. I. am. pissed.

The bolt was not cross threaded; but all the threads that engaged the welded on insert within the drain pan are flattened. What a classic rookie screw-up.

My first plan is to pick up a 14 x 1.5 tap, grease it well, and chase the threads. Then get a new oil drain plug, and see if I can get the threads to engage at the factory recommended torque setting - somewhere around 15 ft-lbs, from what I can find online. I am hopeful that the engineers at FORD would have made the bolt a softer grade steel than the welded on thread insert inside the drain pan; as this is probably not the first time some monkey has done this.

If it can hold at that torque, great. If not, I have discovered that Dormans sells a couple oversize, self tapping drain pan plugs. And that NAPA sells an oversize drain plug with what appears to be an internal threaded 3/8" machine plug as the removable part to drain the oil. Pics attached.

Both of these options should work, and way cheaper than replacing an oil pan; Have not confirmed it, but the first few websites I have found discusses how it appears the engine has to be lifted a few inches to allow clearance to remove/install the pan. Would rather avoid this "solution" if possible...

Anybody been down this road before?
This entire problem could have been avoided if the idiot oil change guy would have taken 5 seconds and turned down his torque setting. For crying out loud, who torques a drain plug like a lug nut...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorman single oversize self tapping Drain Plug.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	337068   Click image for larger version

Name:	NAPA Piggyback Oil Drain Plug.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	337069  

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 10:09 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a car I bought used and you could see the witness marks on the pan from using an impact gun to either take the drain plug off or put it on. I wound up going with oversized drain plugs and no leaks in 3+ years.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #3

Another option, although I removed mine, is to install a Fumoto drain plug valve.

You get it in and sealed up, and use the lever to open and close the valve.

I didn't like how low the valve sat on mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-07-24-12-31-28.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	337077
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #4

Thanks guys.
I have seen that Fumoto gizmo mentioned on a few sites; while ..handy, and not subjecting the oil pan threads to repeated stressing - especially if the threads are ...light... it would seem to offer a tempting target for rolling over or thru dirt mounds - or brush covered dirt mounds - getting to a campsite?.

That said, the site does have right angle bodies for some vehicles.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450