Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I seen a couple small hand pumps at the hardware store. These had what looked like they would screw into the top of a container and has a section of 3/8 clear tubing.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I seen a couple small hand pumps at the hardware store. These had what looked like they would screw into the top of a container and has a section of 3/8 clear tubing.
yes, I’ve seen a few for qts and gals, my fluid is pints
think I will look for gallon size of super dot 4 and just get a gal pump

thanks!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I’ve seen a few for qts and gals, my fluid is pints
When I bleed my brakes after replacing hoses, I used 5 qts. This was for both the front and back.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #18

having a heck of a time finding super dot 4 or dot 5.1 in quart-gallon quantities in my town. Anyone ever use Pentosin Super Dot 4?

may just order it online
Old 11-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #19

Your experience with the brake line reminded me of a situation I had when installing a Roadmaster BrakeMaster 9060 system on our 2013 Adventurer on the F53 chassis.

Somewhere along the way Ford changed from the standard SAE fittings to Metric. The standard SAE's use a double flare, but the standard metric uses a ball end. On at least the 2013 model and possibly others Ford used a metric threaded fitting with a double flare line.

This is an oddity to say the least. It took several days to find a metric threaded fitting that would accept a double flare. None of the parts houses, or even the Ford truck dealership had heard of such an animal. I finally found one at a business that caters to race car builders. Apparently in their world it's common to intermix parts with SAE and Metric threads. Like all things related to racing it wasn't exactly cheap, but when you need a part you need it.

I have no idea when Ford started using this hybrid fitting, or if they still do. For all I know it could have been used for years before I ran into it and is still being used, or it could be isolated to the 2013 model.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Your experience with the brake line reminded me of a situation I had when installing a Roadmaster BrakeMaster 9060 system on our 2013 Adventurer on the F53 chassis.

Somewhere along the way Ford changed from the standard SAE fittings to Metric. The standard SAE's use a double flare, but the standard metric uses a ball end. On at least the 2013 model and possibly others Ford used a metric threaded fitting with a double flare line.

This is an oddity to say the least. It took several days to find a metric threaded fitting that would accept a double flare. None of the parts houses, or even the Ford truck dealership had heard of such an animal. I finally found one at a business that caters to race car builders. Apparently in their world it's common to intermix parts with SAE and Metric threads. Like all things related to racing it wasn't exactly cheap, but when you need a part you need it.

I have no idea when Ford started using this hybrid fitting, or if they still do. For all I know it could have been used for years before I ran into it and is still being used, or it could be isolated to the 2013 model.

I always thought Ford was better than that, now I see Ford can be quite frustrating! I called the dealer today and asked the parts guy for Super dot 4 brake fluid, he said sure we have dot 4, I said I needed Super dot 4 again and he said he never heard of it, have a part number? I though I could look that up in my owners manual and all I find is Super dot 4 and no part number. So for grins try to google it, seems its been erased from the internet to.....wonder what the boiling point specs were for Super dot 4, from what I google, Super is defined by the manufacturer.....there is only dot 3,4,5,5.1, no "Super" lol!

anyway, I found quarts of Wagner dot 5.1 and I'm going with that. I also got a hand pump from west marine that fits quart bottles. The pump comes with 1/4" ID clear tube attached. I plan to add a few feet of 1/4" ID tube and place a screw eye in my motor compartment ceiling to hold the tubing in the master cylinder fill. Maybe I will post a video of this fill contraption to help others not have to reinvent it!
Old 11-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #21

Could only find 5.1 Ford online from Amazon.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Could only find 5.1 Ford online from Amazon.
yes, and only in pints. so far I have not found a pump that attaches to pint bottles which pretty much makes it worthless to me cause there is no room to pour it in, not to mention the price and fact that so many pints would be needed for a whole system flush.......come on Ford, offer quarts and gallons!
Old 11-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #23

I've used this. It make the job go real fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Koehler-Enter...rds=fluid+pump

I used something similar to this but it fit the pint bottle. I can't find it anywhere but I wouldn't recommend it anyway. The pump mechanism froze up immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-L...ustomerReviews
Old 11-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #24

thanks!
I have one in the first link, that would be a recipie for disaster for me, I would probably knock the brake fluid over trying to make sure I didn't overfill and having the pint on a ladder....lol!

the second link is very similar to what I found, I figure if (when) it falls over, it won't leak! Murphy shadows me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I've used this. It make the job go real fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Koehler-Enter...rds=fluid+pump

I used something similar to this but it fit the pint bottle. I can't find it anywhere but I wouldn't recommend it anyway. The pump mechanism froze up immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-L...ustomerReviews
Old 11-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #25

I did a quick video showing the rusted brake line leaking and how I pumped brake fluid into the master cylinder.

It took about 2 hours by myself (one man job) to install the speed bleeder screws and flush a gallon of brake fluid with this setup. On the speed bleeder screw I attached about 2' of 1/4" id tube (from Lowes) and secured it i to an empty water gallon bottle (just drill a hold in the cap so it fits snuggly). I ended up with an easy to dispose of a gallon of fluid.

https://vimeo.com/303172635
Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Go online to Rock Auto and enter info . For Ford F53 and you will find all kinds of pre fitted
lines .
Don
Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Go online to Rock Auto and enter info . For Ford F53 and you will find all kinds of pre fitted
lines .
Don
Thanks Don
I think the one that failed me is listed as "connects to abs ; secondary" for $18.86
I am going to see if it is possible to snake a replacment line in and if so, pull out my repair and re-bleed.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While on the subject of brake lines... I had my mechanic check mine a couple of years ago. The F53 lines were stainless, and fine. The two foot extensions added byGeorgieboy were steel and badly rusted. Some manufacturers deserved to cease to exist.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, f53, rust