Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #1

2009 Safari Simba Stablization

ello Folks,

We purchased a 2009 Safai Simba 30 SFS. The Simba has a front mounted V10 Tritan Gas Engine, we are very pleased with it, with one exception. When driving on the highway, either passing, being passed by a semi or car or when driving in high winds or wind gusts, its definitely a white knuckle experience.

I have read some of the posts here and it appears that I will need to install everything from steering sway stablizers, rear sway stablizers and possibly new Bilstein shocks.

Can anyone tell me if some or all of this will take care of the white knuckle experience; if so, were can I purchase these items.

The other issue I am hoping someone can comment on is the installation of some of the aftermarket items offered by Banks Diesel for improvement of power and fuel economy. If any of you aren't aware and would like to see what Banks offers, try this link Banks Power | Gas Motorhomes, Ford.

Presently, when I pull my jeep wrangler behind the MotorHome, I am getting about 61/2 - 7 MPG, have any of you utilized any of the aftermarket items from banks (or anyone else) with measurably favorable results?

Any help and comments would be appreciated.
JTRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Welcome JTRNA, you'll find this is a great place to get information from, good solid answers to your questions.

We have a 99 HR coach, 32' on the F53 chassis & went through the same things your dealing with out on the highway.

Being as you've read the CHF thread & seen all that every one has done, what I found in doing all those things to our coach, the installation of the rear trac bar was what I got the best results from.
The rear trac bar, will stop the rear axle from walking side to side under the chassis, which when walking in turn will cause the front end of the coach to sway back & forth in your lane & you'll be trying to correct it with the steering wheel.

Theres several other that can cause the couch to handle like that, a good amount of wind blowing can normally cause it. Then theres the ruts in the road surface, something you really got to look hard to see & normally cant, but they are there. It the rut sections of highways, the wheels will be trying to climb up out of the ruts or either fall back down into them & you'll end up with the same feeling in handling just like the rear axle walking under the chassis.

There are a few companys that offer trac bars for the F53 chassis & quite a few on here have fabed up their own design & posted pics in the CHF thread.

Another thing you need to check, the poly bushings on the rear sway bar. There have been quite a few with just about new coaches that those buchings are completely gone, came apart & fell out.
Some, the bracket that holds the bushings in place, the bolt has broke or either the bracket broke rendering the sway bar useless.
That would be the first thing to check, those poly bushings.
For replacement bushings, check on e bay, because those blue ones you'll see offered are the best you can buy & only that one man offers them. He custom makes them.

If you've not all ready, check out the cheap handling fix thread, but be warned it is over 115 pages long with people stating how much good it did to the handling of the F53 chassis.

The Banks stuff your asking about, it can pull up some more HP but will do nothing for gas savings.
Most everybody pulling something, getting around 6 to 8 MPG.
Everytime we pull out of the driveway with ours, M/H loaded & enclosed trailer we are around 25,6 to 25,800 lbs & get around 6.5 to 7.2 out on the highway & that is with the genset running to use the roof a/cs.
Neil
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

The best thing for fuel mileage is to drive slower. I found on my 35' Pace Arrow if I slowed down from 62 MPH to 60 MPH, I gained about .8 MPG according to my scan gauge. A gas engine is pretty much already tuned for the best air fuel ratio. With the amount of work and heat these engines can make, I would not want to lean out the mixture any more for very slight if possible MPG gain.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree jamesrxx951, the best way to increase MPG is to slow down. I went from an average of 6.8 MPG at 65-70 MPH to 7.9 MPG average at 55-60 MPH, according to my Scan Gauge. I have the full Banks power pack system on my coach, while I did gain a slight power increase it came at a high cost. You have a later version engine with higher HP and torque then I do, so your gain may be less. The only thing I would add if I had your engine is Banks headers and exhaust system. If you do want to get a re-programer for the ECM look into the 5 Star tune system. They are a sponsor of this forum and there has been a lot of discussion about it here with a lot of happy users.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To address the handling issues: I would get the coach weighed, adjust the tire air pressures accordingly, then test drive. If the problem persists, get an alignment before adding any extra parts. I did this process with my 2008 F53 and it now handles like a dream without add-ons. Only occassionally will a truck cause any buffeting, but it quickly restores to a calm ride. To combat high winds, I back the speed down from my typical 62 mph in 5 mph increments. If still being blown about at 47 mph, I'll pull off the road. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote