Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

2012 E-450 Fuel Line Leak

Yesterday, we went to take our Sunseeker for a drive. As we pulled it out of the driveway, gasoline leaked from under the RV.

I think that it must be the fuel line, as there was no leak or gasoline smell prior to starting it. It was a big leak, a large puddle of gas ran out from under the RV, so we just backed it back into the driveway, and shut it off. After making sure their was not a continuing leak, we left it overnight.

Went back today to take a look at it, and make sure it was not leaking at all. Is the attached picture a picture of the gas tank? Yesterday, the leak seemed to be coming from the upper left hand corner of this area. I note that the picture has posted upside down, so the leak is in the lower right hand corner as the picture is posted.

Since it is definitely not driveable at this point, am currently trying to find a mobile repair service that serves central NJ where the RV is located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker Gas Tank 0725211441_HDR.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	337218  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Sounds like it could be a leak at the fitting or in the line(s) on top of your tank.

If you have to drop the tank, try to figure out a way to drain it first. They are heavy and awkward if there is much gas in them.

If it does come down, replace the fuel line to the genset. Just for an insurance and peace of mind.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suspect rodent damage, fuel line could have been in the way of building a nest, I have seen this before, the gap between the top of the tank and the rv body makes a nice shelter, due to the leaking gas, no way to inspect it without dropping the tank with any kind of electronic scope.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did thief take fill hose clamp loose?
Old 07-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

So I bought 92 ford e150 conversation van.. still my daily driver.. use on trips. It's most likely.. the fuel inlines.. all on them.. reach up at fill line and see if you can pinch it.. now I am talking about the low pressure lines.. like fill or vent or sometimes the return.. so on mine.. I did not have to drop tank.. you can replace fill and vents lines with tank on frame.. so as you found out.. you can use cell phone with camera and flash and record up under tank and hoses and look for cracks or critters bites.. as said.. critters find old rv tasty.. they eat lines.. if you replace lines.. you find they got bites missing.. then you can buy a stainless steel cover to stop it from happening again.. but 99% sure just rotten.. I wrapped mine .. the filler line with duct tape.. until I got new one in.. so closely check fill hoses.. you may have to cut old filler line..off then squeeze new one in.. with some grease inside new rubber filler hose.. use pen oil on clamps.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 07-30-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Could be in gen line too.. if you got one.. just them all 1st.. then take off each of tank straps one at time and check under each one.. then replace the one you just inspect.. and so on.. lots of pen oil and clean threads with wire brush.. also.. did it just start after filling.. keep us posted

Tags
leak, fuel