Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
RV LIFE Support Team

2014-15 Ford F53 horn wiring/relay

I received an electric air horn for Christmas. I want to install it on a switch(regular horn/air horn). I have found the regular horns but can't find the relay that feeds the horns so I can connect the air horn and switch. At this point I am not convinced that there is a relay.

Any answers to any of this?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Remove the wire from the horn and listen for the clicking.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #3

Your fuses and relays are listed in your owner's manual.

Page 63 (2014) or 64 (2015) shows the "UPS Power Distribution Box 1" as having the horn relay, "R5". It's a little unclear, but I think it should be underhood.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I received an electric air horn for Christmas. I want to install it on a switch(regular horn/air horn). I have found the regular horns but can't find the relay that feeds the horns so I can connect the air horn and switch. At this point I am not convinced that there is a relay.

There should be a relay but why mess with it. I would use the stock horn wiring to supply 12 volt + to a SPDT relay. You would have a switch that would turn the relay on and off which in turn would be the method of selecting the stock horn or the air horn. There are 5 terminals on the relay:
30 - 12 volt + from the stock horn wiring
87A Stock horns
87 Air horns
85 and 86 are for the switch to operate the relay. 12 volt + and -

I've used this method a lot and haven't had any issues.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Sue46, Tried to post this yesterday but did not go. Here is the Ford drawings for the horn circuit and BJB(Battery Junction Box) which is located under the hood above the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn Relay.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	116623   Click image for larger version

Name:	BJB.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	116624  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

Thanks for the drawing. Will print it out and study it today. This has been a part time project but I need to get serious about it as we will be breaking camp in 3 weeks and I want it done(plus a few other items) before we leave.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post

I'm interested in doing the same thing. Keep me posted on your progress.
You can PM me.
Gary
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The relay is under the hood. It is in a plastic box about 6 by 6. It is toward the drivers side just over the radiator. The diagram is under the lid.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Sue46, Tried to post this yesterday but did not go. Here is the Ford drawings for the horn circuit and BJB(Battery Junction Box) which is located under the hood above the radiator.
Thanks for posting the wiring diagram. Did you notice that there are 2 horn relays? One by Ford and one installed by the body builder? If you could find the second one you could change that to a SPDT relay to sound either the stock horn or the air horn.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

I believe the diagram does not show two relays- instead, it shows the place in the wiring where the body builder (or someone like "Sue46") can interpose his own devices. On our coach, Monaco (the body builder) chose to connect these two wires together.

I looked on Winnebago's site for applicable wiring diagrams and could not find any for this model. At one time, Winnebago provided a sheet or two in its drawing sets on the Ford-to-Winnie connections, but I haven't been able to find such sheets for any of the recent gas models. Perhaps someone else can.

In any case, "Sue46" or anyone else can add his relay circuit in the wiring between C144 and the horns. If someone plans to hunt under the dash for the wiring, be aware that C144 is a round 8-pin connector, with 7 wires of these colors coming out of it:

dark green-orange stripe
light green-black stripe
dark blue-white stripe
white-light blue stripe
brown
light green-white stripe
yellow-light green stripe

One or more of these wires will be spliced to your coach's wiring. The last (yellow-light green stripe) is the wire from the horn relay.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I believe the diagram does not show two relays- instead, it shows the place in the wiring where the body builder (or someone like "Sue46") can interpose his own devices. On our coach, Monaco (the body builder) chose to connect these two wires together.

I looked on Winnebago's site for applicable wiring diagrams and could not find any for this model. At one time, Winnebago provided a sheet or two in its drawing sets on the Ford-to-Winnie connections, but I haven't been able to find such sheets for any of the recent gas models. Perhaps someone else can.

In any case, "Sue46" or anyone else can add his relay circuit in the wiring between C144 and the horns. If someone plans to hunt under the dash for the wiring, be aware that C144 is a round 8-pin connector, with 7 wires of these colors coming out of it:

dark green-orange stripe
light green-black stripe
dark blue-white stripe
white-light blue stripe
brown
light green-white stripe
yellow-light green stripe

One or more of these wires will be spliced to your coach's wiring. The last (yellow-light green stripe) is the wire from the horn relay.
Why add the relay between? Instead of messing with the stock wiring just disconnect the positive wire from the horns and use that to put power through a SPDT relay. No splicing, no figuring out what wire does what. From the relay you have 2 wires for the horns, one goes back to the stock horn and the other the air horn. Add a switch for the relay so you can switch between the 2 horns and you're all set.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #12

I agree that a relay between the stock horn relay and the horns will do the job.

The horns are Ford part number 13832. The connector (C131 in the diagram Grant provided) is a proprietary two-pin Ford connector. By the pictures I've seen, nowhere in the horn assembly are there standard quarter-inch spade lugs such as will match a relay. So, I don't think it's possible to unplug the incoming signal wire and put it on a relay. It may be possible to create a plug-and-play harness with a relay in between two matching Ford connectors. I've done that on other projects where I didn't want to cut into the stock wiring. Whether you can buy these particular connectors I don't know.

One other point- if the relay is under the hood, it should be of a kind suitable for its semi-exposed location.

Our coach is in storage now, so I can't confirm any of this by examination. My guidance could be incorrect- wouldn't be the first time!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I agree that a relay between the stock horn relay and the horns will do the job.

The horns are Ford part number 13832. The connector (C131 in the diagram Grant provided) is a proprietary two-pin Ford connector. By the pictures I've seen, nowhere in the horn assembly are there standard quarter-inch spade lugs such as will match a relay. So, I don't think it's possible to unplug the incoming signal wire and put it on a relay. It may be possible to create a plug-and-play harness with a relay in between two matching Ford connectors. I've done that on other projects where I didn't want to cut into the stock wiring. Whether you can buy these particular connectors I don't know.

One other point- if the relay is under the hood, it should be of a kind suitable for its semi-exposed location.

Our coach is in storage now, so I can't confirm any of this by examination. My guidance could be incorrect- wouldn't be the first time!
The relay and fuses are Ford standard parts. The box is sealed.

Tags
f53, ford, wiring