Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 07:47 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
2014 18k 7700 miles

I recently purchased a very clean, low mileage Winnebago 27N with 6600 miles on it. I purchased it a thousand miles from home and drove it home to FL. The breaks squeal pretty regularly. I just had new tires on it and I forgot to ask the guy to inspect the brakes. I can't imagine they are worn out with such low mileage. I just changed the fluid, it stops fine and does not pull in either direction when braking. Suggestions? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

It’s only been driven about 900 miles per year, so you may want to make sure that things are lubricated properly (calipers etc) and that there’s not a whole lot of rot on the rotors. I would also completely flush the system with new fluid.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Yep. I did a complete brake flush when we got it home. I have had the front end aligned and the guy could not believe the age of the coach due to the lack of dirt and rust. None.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The brakes are not much different that what you have on you daily driver just a bit bigger. Pretty easy to remove the caliber and pads to inspect and lubricate yourself if possible and you have the tools, include heavy load jack stands. A Ford or independent commercial truck service center could also do the work but it could cost a couple $$$ based on what your local prevailing labor rate might be.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

I would assume there is some heat related “glaze” on the rotors. We own a 2019 that has the same squeal. Ours had 3000 miles on it when purchased new and we are on the West Coast. The delivery driver from Indiana or perhaps a salesperson transferring the coach to shows, other lots, etc., didn’t understand the engine braking feature of tow haul mode. They got the brakes really hot and the rotor surface is now “glazed”. That glaze causes the pads to chatter (move) at super high frequency causing the squeal.

It’s an easy fix on a car, not so much on trucks. Three options to fix. 1. Replace the pads and rotors. 2. Machine the rotors and sand the pads. 3. Create a crossed swirl pattern on the rotors with an rotary sander while spinning the rotor. That will break the glaze and re-seat the pads. All, especially #3 is really tough on a truck maybe best left to the pro’s. Everything is huge, wheels, axles, brakes etc.

One possibility is that someone installed aftermarket pads if bought used from a dealer. They will sometimes replace brakes just for liability protection and they use the cheapest options possible. That happened to me back in 2007. Bought a low miles rig and the dealer ruined the brakes during the PDI prep work.

I haven’t tackled the squeal on our 2019 f53 yet. It’s is only sometimes annoying and it is quite a project. We’ll just drive and enjoy for a while longer.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I'm going to have to have it looked at. I bought it from the original owner and he only put 6400 miles on it during his ownership. Figure 1k of that was deliver from Iowa to TX. The previous owner towed a Jeep with an Invisibrake.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
I would assume there is some heat related “glaze” on the rotors. We own a 2019 that has the same squeal. Ours had 3000 miles on it when purchased new and we are on the West Coast. The delivery driver from Indiana or perhaps a salesperson transferring the coach to shows, other lots, etc., didn’t understand the engine braking feature of tow haul mode. They got the brakes really hot and the rotor surface is now “glazed”. That glaze causes the pads to chatter (move) at super high frequency causing the squeal.

It’s an easy fix on a car, not so much on trucks. Three options to fix. 1. Replace the pads and rotors. 2. Machine the rotors and sand the pads. 3. Create a crossed swirl pattern on the rotors with an rotary sander while spinning the rotor. That will break the glaze and re-seat the pads. All, especially #3 is really tough on a truck maybe best left to the pro’s. Everything is huge, wheels, axles, brakes etc.

One possibility is that someone installed aftermarket pads if bought used from a dealer. They will sometimes replace brakes just for liability protection and they use the cheapest options possible. That happened to me back in 2007. Bought a low miles rig and the dealer ruined the brakes during the PDI prep work.

I haven’t tackled the squeal on our 2019 f53 yet. It’s is only sometimes annoying and it is quite a project. We’ll just drive and enjoy for a while longer.
Let us know what you do to address it. I really don't care about the noise. Its stops smooth and the brakes seem fine. However, I just don't there to be an issue that needs to be addressed that would shorten the life or be unsafe.