Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, the winner is Reacher!!!!

Rear axle seal...it's diff fluid, soaked through the brake pads and all over the caliper. Probably just as dangerous as caliper piston leak, but way way more expensive to fix...unfortunately.

I was surprised, since the fluid just doesn't really smell like anything, and it's fairly light...must be synthetic.

I was hoping for the caliper (easy to get parts and quick to fix), and it actually made sense since some of the 2014 F53's had caliper recalls due to leaks...my VIN shows no recalls. But nope...

It's a $1800 repair/parts plus $1000 to two it...7.5hour repair.

Given this is the first issue with this rig, other than tires...I have to try to look on the bright side, all safe, parts are on the way and the shop seems too be pro.

Oh yeah...I was able to add towing/roadside on my American Family policy on the MH for $15.00 per year...given this is my first tow in 50years of driving...I'm almost at break even (if you factor $15/year for inflation)...I'm trying to make myself feel better about being too stupid to buy $15/year of protection...live and learn.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #16

Not that it matters, but I did suggest a grease seal leak in post # 2.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
OH MY...I'll take the blame...'fog of war'...totally missed that you got the diagnosis first, I actually did the smell test...afterwards I was sold on the brake caliper.

I guess I mentally blocked it out your post since the fluid didn't have any particular 'smell' as I would have expected and you suggested.

Reacher's post resonated, since he pointed out the use of synthetic's...no particular smell...

Interesting study in the psychology of observations...my daughter-in-law has a PhD in this stuff...she is going to love reading this.

Ron
Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #18

Yep had one go on an 07 chassis..no smell at all..glad you got it fixed.

TeJay you're right they were using some nasty smelling stuff a while back.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, so this stuff breaks, I get that...but I'm kinda in the 'root cause' camp.

Why does a 6year old truck chassis from one of the supposed premier makers of trucks have a simple seal fail...I hate trying to accept that as 'it happens'.

I have a 40year old Triumph Spitfire (its alleged that they actual make their own oil so they can continually leak), I expect it to have leaks...btw, never an axle seal. In fact, I've never had an axle seal issue on any vehicle, including my lawn tractors.

I just don't get it. Did I abuse this thing, or did Ford just under engineer the part.

Ron
Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #20

Loose bearings wear on the seal.

Overheated brakes cook the seal.

A little rust on the seal surface tears it up.

Fishing line, string, and audio/video tape wrap around the axle and cut up the seal.

Poor installation, the last time, damages the seal.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Final outcome...

Price went down, took less time than estimate - $1088 for parts/labor (they replaced both driver/passenger rear pads), seal and bearing replaced. Plus the $850 tow and tax...$2088 all in - for reference.

Drove it home, around 12hours, no leaks. Looks like it is fixed.

Now just waiting for the next failure.

Ron

Tags
driver, f53, leak, rear