Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2022, 10:36 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic_Rudy View Post
Isn’t this a ford crate engine ?
If so it should have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty

Who is the 3rd party consultant? They should Be on the line with ford.

If there was a mechanical timing issue it should be throwing codes indicating as such.

Did they remove the cat and drive it ? No exhaust flow means low manifold vacuum.

Yes it’s a Ford reman engine from ford.
Sure it’s under warranty. Their option fix or replace as I understand it.
Shop is doing their due diligence to make sure they didn’t make a mistake as I understand it. Once they have confirmed everything is proper then they can go to Ford as I understand it.
No codes and it is off day by one link in timing it may not as I understand it.
Yes the cat was removed from the equation and still has a problem as I noted in a prior post.
If my understanding of any of the above is wrong please let me know. I am only repeating what I’m told and not an expert. I am in a difficult if not an impossible situation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #170

Probably around 50 years ago when I was checking valve timing I had the valve covers off, spark plugs out and straws in the spark plug holes. With a socket wrench fitted to the bolt on the front of the crank shaft that holds on the pulley, on could slowly rotate the crank shaft and watch the straws going up and down while observing valve action. It was easy to watch intake, then exhaust valve position on both cylinder banks as each cylinder came up to top dead center. Valve timing should be identical on both banks of cylinders. Since I have not worked on engines for a very long time, I don't know but maybe sensors and codes can do that valve timing assessment easier and more accurately. Let me know.
Tech Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:51 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Writer View Post
Probably around 50 years ago when I was checking valve timing I had the valve covers off, spark plugs out and straws in the spark plug holes. With a socket wrench fitted to the bolt on the front of the crank shaft that holds on the pulley, on could slowly rotate the crank shaft and watch the straws going up and down while observing valve action. It was easy to watch intake, then exhaust valve position on both cylinder banks as each cylinder came up to top dead center. Valve timing should be identical on both banks of cylinders. Since I have not worked on engines for a very long time, I don't know but maybe sensors and codes can do that valve timing assessment easier and more accurately. Let me know.

That may be part of the diagnosis on Monday they plan to do. I recall them saying something to do after the valve. Covers come off and that both banks should be identical.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:07 AM   #172

Winnebago Owners Club
Did it run properly at ALL since it was installed or is this from the moment you drove it..

The throaty sound is a concern..
IMO 180 degrees out of time. it will run but on exhaust top dead center, computer adjusts but no power or vaccum..

Or some wiring got crossed ..

I just had a BMW that would not rev out but idled and pulled out..
Bank 1 and Bank 2 fuel harness reversed, dang same plugs.. some one else did valve cover.. then thru thousands into sensors, coils, plugs, etc,, sat for months.. took the third set of eyes and owning the same car to see wires did not lay in holder the same and then colors of wires.. ding ding.. hero moment..

goodluck
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:32 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
Did it run properly at ALL since it was installed or is this from the moment you drove it..

The throaty sound is a concern..
IMO 180 degrees out of time. it will run but on exhaust top dead center, computer adjusts but no power or vaccum..

Or some wiring got crossed ..

I just had a BMW that would not rev out but idled and pulled out..
Bank 1 and Bank 2 fuel harness reversed, dang same plugs.. some one else did valve cover.. then thru thousands into sensors, coils, plugs, etc,, sat for months.. took the third set of eyes and owning the same car to see wires did not lay in holder the same and then colors of wires.. ding ding.. hero moment..

goodluck
Hasn't run right since the install.
I can't see how wires can get crossed unless you are saying the wires coming from the engine to the chassis harness connector are installed by the manufacturer incorrectly?
Old 07-24-2022, 07:14 AM   #174

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
codes?

Any fault codes , did they do an engine running test? Try to relearn crank trigger ? Just a thought
Old 07-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #175

This was a long block from Ford, correct? So the heads and the valve chains and valve timing was all set by the rebuilder, not the shop?

Thats crazy they would put it together wrong, but I guess it could happen.
x2 on a vacuum test with an gauge, but nobody knows how to read those anymore...

Leak down test could give a clue if that chain is off, but the compression test should have shown the same issue.

Have they double checked the injector and coil pack wires to make sure two are not swapped? I don't know if the wiring will allow that, but could be your issue.

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:46 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
Any fault codes , did they do an engine running test? Try to relearn crank trigger ? Just a thought
Relearn crank trigger? Wouldn't there be a code thrown if this was off? No codes on this engine. Not sure what a engine running test. They have done hours of tests with engine running and their Snap on scanner attached including me driving and tech reviewing live results.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:52 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretaco View Post
This was a long block from Ford, correct? So the heads and the valve chains and valve timing was all set by the rebuilder, not the shop?

Thats crazy they would put it together wrong, but I guess it could happen.
x2 on a vacuum test with an gauge, but nobody knows how to read those anymore...

Leak down test could give a clue if that chain is off, but the compression test should have shown the same issue.

Have they double checked the injector and coil pack wires to make sure two are not swapped? I don't know if the wiring will allow that, but could be your issue.
Yes, crate reman engine directly from Ford. Shop did nothing to the engine except install it.
Compression tests (done 2 separate times) came in generally fine. I think avg 175 on one side 180 on the other.
There is a picture earlier in the thread. I don't think the wiring harness can be connected incorrectly but take a look. I don't know what to look for.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:06 AM   #178

Wonder if it has the newer 320hp tune and there for only revs to 4200 rpm rather than closer to 5000 on the old one and the 5 speed isn't shifting properly to allow maximum power.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:15 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Wonder if it has the newer 320hp tune and there for only revs to 4200 rpm rather than closer to 5000 on the old one and the 5 speed isn't shifting properly to allow maximum power.
No tune was needed for this engine. I asked numerous times as yes it is a newer engine than my '15. Was told numerous times no tune needed. They even called Ford to confirm.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #180

Just not sure what would happen if you connect a 320hp 2016+ engine to a 2015 5 speed transmission, the shift points will be all wrong, perhaps the TCU can learn to shift at the new lower max rpm properly.

Maybe the reman engine has the 365hp tune even though its newer engine, would be interesting to know.

Good luck, hope they diagnose properly today and it's something simple.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:34 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Just not sure what would happen if you connect a 320hp 2016+ engine to a 2015 5 speed transmission, the shift points will be all wrong, perhaps the TCU can learn to shift at the new lower max rpm properly.

Maybe the reman engine has the 365hp tune even though its newer engine, would be interesting to know.

Good luck, hope they diagnose properly today and it's something simple.
I asked. From what I am told it is mechanically the same engine. The only difference is the tune for the engine/trans.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #182

Can't catch a break with this damned V10 engine

Just can't catch a break.
Tests today revealed cylinder 6 valves are not seating properly. Why this couldn't be found via a compression test last week I just don't know.
The shop is now on the phone with Ford to determine next steps.
1) Get an "emergency" engine sent out - if even available.
2) take this one out, send it back and have Ford fix it.
3) something else

I've advised the shop that this is going to cost me thousands of more dollars in hotel stays. I can't stay in the RV without an engine (slides won't go out and jacks won't go down).
So Ford has limitations in their warranty against incidental or consequential damages. Some states limit this limitations from my research. As I read the law, Nebraska has such exclusion of limitation.
Reaching out for some help in this area. Are there any resources I can get help with to fight Ford on this? Am I even understanding this correctly?
NE law: https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/ucc.php?code=2-715
Ford warranty: https://parts.ford.com/.../PartsLimi...ty_08_2020.pdf

Tags
bounder, chassis, f53, fire, ford, v10