Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #29

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. From your description and codes it sure sounds like a timing chain problem to me. Not that it's common but I have seen it before with the V10.
I guess it doesn't really matter anymore since it's getting replaced and for what it's worth when I had my shop we installed a few Jasper engines and never had one come back for anything but oil changes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I am under impression the computer will not let the engine over rev using Tow/Haul
I would agree with that if you are in drive, in order to over rev you would have to manually shift into a lower gear at a speed that would allow it, then increase downhill speed while still in that lower gear. The transmission will not allow a downshift that could over rev the engine but by manually shifting to a low gear it will prevent it from upshifting no matter how much speed you gain.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:17 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One to a few does not make all V -10s bad. I've had 3 reliables. Better than the complications and cost of a Diesel which I also have.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #32

V10 missfire

Seems you may be having the same issue I had a couple years ago with my v10. It may be a simple $175 part that they replaced on mine that fixed it. Symptoms of mine are much like what your explaining. There is a module that is mounted to the front left rail chassis rail that monitors fuel pressure from the tank to the engine. This module can get fauled by water intrusion because of the location that it's installed. I believe it's called a fuel pressure monitor module and it's a hermetically sealed module electronic module that's mounted to the chassis rail just to the rear and right of the front drivers wheel. Have that checked out.
lycris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #33

I would try powertrain products. They ship nationwide and they are very reliable and have a excellent warranty. I personally have used several of there engines without issue.
fordguydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #34

BTW. I understand your stuck but that rebuilt price sounds extremely high.
fordguydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #35

Before I spend $10,000 I would probably want to spend $100 to change out the individual coil packs including spark plugs and cross your fingers cross your eyes and cross your legs and see if it changes anything with the engine no matter what they find you could run into some good luck just my two cents worth it's a hell of a tow back to your home base and it's a pretty high price tag unless you have deep pockets best of luck I have had two three cylinders go out at the same time on my 2000 Ford at 53 Pace arrow V10 and I've replaced them erase the codes and kept on trucking with no hiccups
Dash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash48 View Post
Before I spend $10,000 I would probably want to spend $100 to change out the individual coil packs including spark plugs and cross your fingers cross your eyes and cross your legs and see if it changes anything with the engine no matter what they find you could run into some good luck just my two cents worth it's a hell of a tow back to your home base and it's a pretty high price tag unless you have deep pockets best of luck I have had two three cylinders go out at the same time on my 2000 Ford at 53 Pace arrow V10 and I've replaced them erase the codes and kept on trucking with no hiccups
Never saw a coil pack destroy spark plugs like what happened to 5 of his.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas could not do this to a spark plug. Bad wiring could not do this to a spark plug. Exhaust manifolds could not do this to a spark plug. Only one thing could do this to so many cylinders. A broken timing chain. The valves got out of sequence and the valves were chewed up and destroyed the spark plug.
In my 15 years as a service manager, I saw this happen twice. Both times the engine was examined and the timing chain was broken.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #38

A compression check on the cylinder that spark plug came out of will tell some of the tale. It looks like the spark plug lost the battle with something in that cylinder.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #39

Obviously you need to get all the codes. My uneducated guess is that you have an ECM issue. It is likely your rig’s brain had a stroke. You saw some misfire warnings from most cylinders but I’d suspect there are many other codes. Good luck with it. Unless you drowned the engine, causing multiple issues with the coils ( I did that once), it looks like a problem with the engine control module. I hope it’s something simple, like a low voltage issue.
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Is it possible? Sure. But I am under impression the computer will not let the engine over rev using Tow/Haul
Mode. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere probably in this forum. I’ve had it for 7 years so I don’t recall where I read I now though. There is no red line on the tachometer so that adds to my belief. But I could be wrong. If I’m wrong someone with facts about the V10 please add them here
I came over Monarch Pass a few days earlier at 11,300 feet.
If so I caused the problem myself and makes it that much harder to swallow the $18k fix.
The engine is rev limited to 5,200 rpms but there is nothing stopping it from reaching beyond that level if descending a hill where the weight of the RV can theoretically push it past that limit. The rev limiter will cut off fuel if you are in the throttle. That is what happens on my 2007 V10 in my F350. The engine is rev limited due to the balance shaft that Ford used to offset the vibrations inherent in a V10 motor.
Lance990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:21 PM   #41

Quote:
They are recommending a new intake at this point. They being Jasper and the repair facility. I think they said it’s about $700. Part of what Jasper calls installation packs I believe.
Ince the engine is removed I may be in a better mindset and ask them to strip the top off the engine for a little more investigation. Right now I’m not so inclined.
I'd definitely replace it. The V10 has a variable intake that increases power by routing the air along different paths. It is the weirdest thing about these V10's but it does help increase power.

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/f_...and_operation/
Lance990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #42

Over Rev

Unfortunately the computer has no control over gear selection vs. vehicle road speed. That combination determines engine RPM. Monarch Pass west of Denver @ 11,300’ maybe prompted a downshift to control vehicle speed, but then speed increased to a point of over-rev allowing an intake valve or two to hit a piston. Motor still running & driving but major parts now compromised/ hurt. Pretty soon the valve head fails and sends pieces of valve/piston/ cylinder head back through the intake manifold to adjoining cylinders. Time for another motor. Too many of us think the computer will not allow stuff to happen!! 😕
Transaxle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, chassis, f53, fire, ford, v10