Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2022, 04:24 PM   #113

The work begins…Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4027.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	371011
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #114

More progress. They said it came out easier than expected. Let’s see if that translates to a slightly lower billClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4030.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	371053Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4039.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	371054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	371055
Old 07-15-2022, 01:12 PM   #115

V10 failure again at the same shop! And my Mobil1 warranty claim

Interesting tidbit. Coincidence? V10 really is not that reliable???
2013 Newmar Canyonstar (V10 for those that don't know) came in on the hook recently. That one has a catastrophic failure too. 39,000 miles if I heard correctly.
I know I know there are thousands of V10's out on the road with no problems. yada yada yada.
I contacted Mobil1 customer service. Filled out their warranty form. Not hopeful they will do anything but at least it is filed, I have oil from the engine and the shop WILL do a report with pictures of the problems needed for the claim. I am not hopeful but at least I tried.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Interesting tidbit. Coincidence? V10 really is not that reliable???

2013 Newmar Canyonstar (V10 for those that don't know) came in on the hook recently. That one has a catastrophic failure too. 39,000 miles if I heard correctly.

I know I know there are thousands of V10's out on the road with no problems. yada yada yada.

I contacted Mobil1 customer service. Filled out their warranty form. Not hopeful they will do anything but at least it is filed, I have oil from the engine and the shop WILL do a report with pictures of the problems needed for the claim. I am not hopeful but at least I tried.

Anything built by man can fail. I’m pretty sure that the failure rate is a very low percentage.

Sorry about your failure.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
No way would an RV manufacturer modify a chassis in that way. I also have a super low doghouse but my engine is in its original location. I can't even imagine the time and fabrication needed to make that mod.

I guess it’s just the Workhorse chassis that has the wide frame rails at the front then. Why wouldn’t Ford do it as well? Makes for an almost level floor with only a 2 inch high doghouse.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #118
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did they drop the front axle?
Old 07-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #119

2015 F53 Chassis V10 self destructs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Did they drop the front axle?

Oh. I thought it was in that one pic but I guess not. It’s in this one. No, just the bar that ties the steering to the far tire. You can actually see it lying on the ground in the pic with the rv in the air. It’s on the ground with the yellow steering stabilizer attached to it still. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	599.8 KB
ID:	371098
Old 07-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #120

Found this which I thought was interesting considering that most of us (including me) do use our engines as brakes on downhills ... although this is talking about dragsters the principle is the same

Using the engine as a brake subjects the bearings, rods, and pistons to high loads – at a time when the oil system is least able to lubricate these components.

I’ve observed that the vast majority of sportsman racers decelerate with the transmission in gear after a run. I certainly understand their reluctance to shift into neutral. However, the harsh reality is that even a momentary loss of oil pressure as the engine motors down can nick a bearing – and eventually lead to a blackened crankshaft and a broken engine.

A crankshaft’s oil feed holes for the rod journals are typically drilled between 20 and 40 degrees before Top Dead Center. Introducing pressurized oil at this point creates a hydrodynamic wedge that prevents metal-to-metal contact between the bearing and the crankshaft under the intense pressure of the power stroke – the rod bearing effectively rides on a cushion of oil molecules. Now consider what happens when the rear wheels are driving the crankshaft during deceleration. Instead of the pistons and rods pushing the crankshaft down, the crank is now pushing and pulling the pistons against cylinder pressure – and the oil feed is 180 degrees out of phase. Of course there is still residual oil pressure and a weakened hydrodynamic wedge between the bearing and journal, but lubrication is no longer being delivered at the point of maximum load. In fact, most of the damaged crankshafts I have seen show the most wear and distress on the “unloaded” side of the journal opposite the oil feed hole.
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never given engine braking a lot of thought but never considered lubrication. Here in the mountains you sometimes don't have a lot of choice to downshift, so it comes down to a balance between brakes and engine compression. Great, one MORE thing to worry about...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #122
US1

Tiffy2000, that’s interesting. I have also wondered about the engine braking especially when used to the extremes because now the complete motor and driveline are subject to loads completely opposite from the normal usage.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:42 AM   #123

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffy2000 View Post
Found this which I thought was interesting considering that most of us (including me) do use our engines as brakes on downhills ... although this is talking about dragsters the principle is the same

Using the engine as a brake subjects the bearings, rods, and pistons to high loads – at a time when the oil system is least able to lubricate these components.

I’ve observed that the vast majority of sportsman racers decelerate with the transmission in gear after a run. I certainly understand their reluctance to shift into neutral. However, the harsh reality is that even a momentary loss of oil pressure as the engine motors down can nick a bearing – and eventually lead to a blackened crankshaft and a broken engine.

A crankshaft’s oil feed holes for the rod journals are typically drilled between 20 and 40 degrees before Top Dead Center. Introducing pressurized oil at this point creates a hydrodynamic wedge that prevents metal-to-metal contact between the bearing and the crankshaft under the intense pressure of the power stroke – the rod bearing effectively rides on a cushion of oil molecules. Now consider what happens when the rear wheels are driving the crankshaft during deceleration. Instead of the pistons and rods pushing the crankshaft down, the crank is now pushing and pulling the pistons against cylinder pressure – and the oil feed is 180 degrees out of phase. Of course there is still residual oil pressure and a weakened hydrodynamic wedge between the bearing and journal, but lubrication is no longer being delivered at the point of maximum load. In fact, most of the damaged crankshafts I have seen show the most wear and distress on the “unloaded” side of the journal opposite the oil feed hole.
How can an engine lose oil pressure it it is turning at the same speed? Acceleration/deceleration makes no difference on oil pressure. So if you take your foot off the accelerator to come to a stop, your wearing your engine out?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #124

New engine now in placeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	371153
Old 07-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #125

Boy they are moving right along with it. You should be on the road soon at the rate these guys are working.
Old 07-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
Boy they are moving right along with it. You should be on the road soon at the rate these guys are working.
They initially told me Wed and they believe it is still on schedule. Waiting for some parts on Monday. I did have a leak on the power steering pump and we decided to replace it. So, yeah, I am pretty happy with their work so far. Biggest thing they have no problem me stopping by asking questions and taking pics. I don't push this but am grateful they are allowing it. I brought the whole shop donuts on Friday.

Tags
bounder, chassis, f53, fire, ford, v10