Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 01:00 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance990 View Post
I have a 2007 F350 3V V10 and it has 196k miles on it. Plenty of power and it has been trouble free. I expect to get at least 300k boringly reliable miles out of it, easily. I haul a 4,000 lbs truck camper with it. It pulls hard and makes short work out of hauling the truck camper. It has 4.30 gears and DRW. It weighs 12,400 lbs wet with truck camper. I have only used Motorcraft’s 5W-20 synthetic blend oil in it. I get the oil analyzed every year and she is wearing in nicely with no concerns.
The Ford V-10 is an excellent engine and the 3 valve is even better. The failure the op describes is unusual. There are millions of V-10’s on the road and run flawlessly. This is a roller cam engine that can run at 5000 rpm’s all day. A bad timing chain will generally give you some warning, like a rattle or knock but you have to listen for it. Using a good quality oil is paramount. IMHO , Mobil 1 is the best for this application. Change the oil regularly and you’re good to go. The op’s failure was an anomaly.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 02:22 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Sure wish GM-Chev's were still an option....My '88 454 with 120K still has 50# oil pressure and just hummmmms down the highway...
Sorry Furd, keeps me from going there: spark-plugs....brakes....etc...
Too old to get a newer one, so"Lucy" and I ride on....
Happy Trails!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:50 AM   #59

V10 failure

I have a 2009 v10 at 39000 miles it had a problem sounds like yours had a slight rattle in engine it has 2 exhaust valves 1 cam follower bearing fell off engine still works when bearing got under cam shaft it broke causing all 5 cylinders on passenger side to fail had a new head installed at crane ford Little Rock Arkansas and I am back on the road
Leok10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:27 AM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ever scenario I come up with gets shot down because of the cylinder misfire codes for both banks; P0302, 304, 305, 307, 310 or cylinder 2, 4 and 5 on the passenger side of the engine and 7 and 10 on the driver's side. One bank no problem, valve timing failure but both, at the nearly the same time?

Bad or contaminate fuel would show up very soon after a fill up or top off and there would be a lot of daily drivers with the same problems to keep him company. Over rev on a down hill would probably happen on the hill not on I80 in Nebraska. Coil packs just stop and don't cause spark plugs to get beat to death. Timing chain skip, or tensioner wear at 30K miles is a bit rare and for both banks to fail is into lighting sticking the same place twice rare. Same with a valve failure in the head, both heads, at the same, or near same time is unheard of.

A big maybe scenario is the crank shaft key for the timing chains gear sheared and caused the gear to slip and throw off the value timing to both banks.

Really wish the mechs would dig deeper into to the failure or maybe this guy would - https://youtu.be/OzV_5m6sCGo
Old 05-24-2022, 05:59 AM   #61

2015 F53 Chassis V10 self destructs

Sweetbriar,
If you or someone wants to pay for it to be looked into further feel free to message me. As I said earlier in the thread I’m not going to. $18k is more than I can afford already and is close to the limit before I’ll have to stop rving.
The engine once removed and stripped of anything needed goes back to Jasper as a core. I already asked. It’s not mine to do what I wish to it.
Sure I’d like to know what happened too but I just don’t have the funds to do it.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:50 AM   #62
US1

Engine are mechanical machines made up of numerous parts that rotate at high rpm’s or change directions in unimaginable time. Sometimes stuff just lets go regardless if they’ve been babied or ran hard.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:36 AM   #63
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been following, I feel for you. Always something that throws a wrench in the gears. Really hope that it turns out well.

How did they pull the engine out? Remove windshield, come out the bottom, or by some secret incantation?

I'm with you as I wouldn't spend the additional money to find out why it blew but I would always wonder. Best spend the funds in better ways and move on with life. Frame the sparkplug as a memento.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Computerguy,
If the core has to go back to Jasper, maybe you could put some kind of identifying mark or tag on the core and have the folks at Jasper let you know what they found inside.
You know they are going to tear it down to the bare block to see if it can be rebuilt.
Call jasper and build a relationship with someone there. After all you're going to have one of their engines in your coach.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Been following, I feel for you. Always something that throws a wrench in the gears. Really hope that it turns out well.

How did they pull the engine out? Remove windshield, come out the bottom, or by some secret incantation?

I'm with you as I wouldn't spend the additional money to find out why it blew but I would always wonder. Best spend the funds in better ways and move on with life. Frame the sparkplug as a memento.
Engine is still in until the new one arrives. I am living in the motorhome as I am full time.
They will take it out from the bottom. Lucky (I guess) I picked a place that will be able to lift it high enough and do all the work.
I'm not keeping the spark plug or anything to remember this by. Not exactly a good memory in my mind. I'm still not happy at all. Hopefully with time I will get over it but if I know myself as well as I do I'll be selling it within a year to try and clear my mind of it. At least the buyer will have a couple year warranty on the engine.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Computerguy,
If the core has to go back to Jasper, maybe you could put some kind of identifying mark or tag on the core and have the folks at Jasper let you know what they found inside.
You know they are going to tear it down to the bare block to see if it can be rebuilt.
Call jasper and build a relationship with someone there. After all you're going to have one of their engines in your coach.

Mike in Colorado
That's a thought. The manager I am working with seems to have a decent relationship with Jasper so it won't hurt to ask.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Engine are mechanical machines made up of numerous parts that rotate at high rpm’s or change directions in unimaginable time. Sometimes stuff just lets go regardless if they’ve been babied or ran hard.
Sounds exactly what the engineer from Ford told me when I talked to him. Makes a person feel "warm and fuzzy" on the design and engineering process
Oh, basically, then told me to go pound sand because it's out of warranty.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
This is the truest statement on the forum. Remember ford produced over 1.3 million v10 engines. This is a rare event. In the eleven years ford used the v10 before I retired as service manager of a large RV dealership, we never had a v10 engine failure. I can’t remember of any other dealership having one blowup. They were a great engine. Somewhere along the line there was a bad casting or weak part.
I feel bad for the guy but sometimes bad things happen to good people. We all are pulling for him.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #69

What was the quote on a used engine? Used engines come with all the accessories attached, so less labor.

I would think throwing in a used motor would be less than $5000…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:51 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
What was the quote on a used engine? Used engines come with all the accessories attached, so less labor.

I would think throwing in a used motor would be less than $5000…
Wasn't interested in used.

Tags
bounder, chassis, f53, fire, ford, v10