Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K

Hello we own a 2015 Bounder and this year was horrible. While driving. the engine it started losing power. there was a ticking noise coming from the engine. To make a long story short they replaced the engine {the motorhome is in Georgia} they took it for a ride after replacing the motor and it happen again. the first engine 2 of the cylinders were burnt up. the motor is a triton ford v10. has anyone ever ran into this problem.
johnc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc58 View Post
Hello we own a 2015 Bounder and this year was horrible. While driving. the engine it started losing power. there was a ticking noise coming from the engine. To make a long story short they replaced the engine {the motorhome is in Georgia} they took it for a ride after replacing the motor and it happen again. the first engine 2 of the cylinders were burnt up. the motor is a triton ford v10. has anyone ever ran into this problem.
Need way more information.
When you say... "Has anyone ever ran into this problem"... Which problem are you referring to?
What happened to the first engine? What do you mean by 2 cylinders were "burnt up" ?
What codes did the computer store? Does the coach have good fuel pressure and flow? Could be a lean condition. What did the plugs look like? Check back to the computer codes.
What was the condition of the replacement engine? New, rebuilt or used? If used, did the shop do a thorough inspection of the unit? Like a leak down test for example?
Was it driving perfectly normal when this happened or were there telltale signs of an issue? How long did you drive it with the tick noise and power loss before failure?
Need more info...
Old 06-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Need way more information.
When you say... "Has anyone ever ran into this problem"... Which problem are you referring to?
What happened to the first engine? What do you mean by 2 cylinders were "burnt up" ?
What codes did the computer store? Does the coach have good fuel pressure and flow? Could be a lean condition. What did the plugs look like? Check back to the computer codes.
What was the condition of the replacement engine? New, rebuilt or used? If used, did the shop do a thorough inspection of the unit? Like a leak down test for example?
Was it driving perfectly normal when this happened or were there telltale signs of an issue? How long did you drive it with the tick noise and power loss before failure?
Need more info...
its a long story but we left connecticut heading to southern texas we got as far as georgia and the motor started ticking so we looked for a spot to pull over and during this time the motor over heated according to what the dash board showed. there was no steam from the engine it just said engine overheat. so we pulled over waited a half hour during this time we found a campground and bedded down for the night. days later we drove it 15 miles to a ford dealership who verified it overheated. but there bays weren't big enough to work on our rig. so days later its towed to auburn georgia were it sits since early january. they claim the codes showed very little. to pull a engine out of a Bounder you have to remove the whole front end.$$$ yes crazy expensive. they sent the motor out to a machine shop who said 2 of the cylinders were burnt. going thou the extended warranty never again will we purchase again we finally got a new engine. But the same problem again it runs fine until it warms up than starts to lose power. they claim they check everything. frustration is sitting in here so i was wondering what is wrong with this motorhome.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
It's not the motorhome, it's the powertrain. Did they figure out why it overheated in the first place? The Ford V10 is a very reliable engine, and for it to overheat, there has to be a reason. Bad cooling fan, clogged radiator, bad hoses, the list goes on. Any reputable mechanic would find out first why it overheated, fix that, then replace the engine.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Dom

I had similar symptoms. Mine turned out to be a plugged catalytic converter. worth it to take a look at it.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very, very, very sad commentary concerning shops that don't/can't diagnose a problem.
They start throwing your $$$$ at the problem not because they know what's wrong but simply start replacing things until they thing they have it fixed when in fact they don't know what they are doing.

Don't look for a shop that works on RV's look for a shop that can diagnose a gasoline powered engine. When you are talking about this they are basically all the same. It's an internal combustion engine. When it breaks or fails to perform the diagnosis is basically about the same. Bring me a Ford, Chevy, a Chrysler, a VW and I'll diagnose what's wrong. You check for compression for each cylinder. Check the cooling system. Did it have a leak and run out of antifreeze. Did any shop explain that the V-10 even from it's beginnings back in 1999 or there abouts that engine can loose all it's coolant and still drive down the road. How can that work??

If the engine looses all it's coolant the computer will automatically shut down cylinders on a rotation. The cylinders not firing will help cool the engine by sucking in cool air and cutting off the fuel so no combustion takes place. You can continue to drive the vehicle at a reduced speed until you reach an exit and then into a shop.

You should not have "Burned up 2 cylinders" as they reported.

If it ran out of oil then that's a different situation. You certaintly had the oil changed or at least looked at before you took off on a cross country trip.

It's to bad you are in so deep with few if any real answers as to what might have been wrong at the very beginning.

Then a second motor is installed and it does the same thing???? Wow!!!!! Again nobody really diagnosed anything. What would I have done????

The shop technicians look at your problem and suggest what they thing is wrong. If they can't figure out what's wrong find another shop. Any decent shop can diagnose a mechanical issue with a gas engine. That may not be what you want to hear but someobdy has to figure out what is really happening before any repairs can begin.

Any part on any vehicle can be tested and diagnosed to determine if or how the part is failing. Then replace the defective part. That's called diagnosis & repair.

Harry Stone's above post tells it like it is. Figure out why it overheated before one starts repacing things.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #7

I’m it’s an overheat issue then have the radiator flushed or replaced. Replace all hoses and of course install new water pump and thermostat. Don’t forget about the engine fan and whatever may control it.
If I had to mess with the cat, I would gut it not replace it.
They should flush the oil cooler and lines to get out any contamination and debris.
Check with your insurance company. You may have coverage for this. Worth a shot.
Please post back here with updates. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of what’s going on.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:33 PM   #8

Did you say they pulled the engine out the front? Did they cut the frame and fiberglass? Engine should come out the bottom after axle is removed. I was just out looking at mine…. Looks like way more work going out the front than the bottom.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Did you say they pulled the engine out the front? Did they cut the frame and fiberglass? Engine should come out the bottom after axle is removed. I was just out looking at mineÖ. Looks like way more work going out the front than the bottom.
If they got a very high bay and a lift for a motorhome. Most won't.
Was the overhauled engine warranted?
Old 08-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Well its been awhile but after a new motor was put in it still took awhile. It was taken to a ford service and all they did was reprogram the computer do to it being deleted at some point. I guess now when your unit breaks down look for the services that work on your unit. We still don't know why the engine went bad but were back on the road.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #11

Buy and install a ScanGauge2 so that you can monitor actual engine and transmission temps. (as well as many other things)
I have one plugged into my OBD2 port and I closely watch the display. Just got back from a 600 mile round trip in 95 degree weather while pulling a 4600lb Wrangler. My engine temp stays between 198 - 209 degrees, my Tranny temp stays between 202 - 207 degrees. I drive about 10% under the speed limit. Lots of hills.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Got the rv back home. it runs great, but whats weired is they still are not sure what happened to the motor. i find that hard to believe. wouldn't a good mechine shop know what happened when they take it apart. anyway it took forever. Do to the extended warrenty process.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #13
US1

not necessarily. they would see the damage, but what actually led to the damage is not always obvious
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:44 PM   #14

I know it`s been a long time but what did it end up costing YOU ?
billyinfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood