RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

2016 Ford E450 Diagnosis

Sounds like a rattlesnake rattle when I accelerate. No noise when idle. No loss of power. No engine light. Not a squeak. Comes and goes. Not a mechanic but guessing something with the fuel system. Just filled up with a fresh tank of gas and still doing it. Anyone have any ideas? 6 weeks left on trip before returning to MN, would prefer to ride it out and have it checked out in the spring. On the other hand, crossing West Texas a bad spot to breakdown.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

Sounds like it might be a loose muffler/catalytic converter heat shield that is affected by vibration.
Let us know what you find. Good luck.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have noticed the same

on my 2017 Sunseeker. At first I thought maybe detonation in the cylinders similar to using low octane gas or bad gas. 16,000 miles later I still occasionally hear it. No effect on performance. I just keep driving.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #4

possible catalytic converter

Just a thought. I had a similar experience with a Chevy Toad. Noise started suddenly and its intensity was related to RPM. I searched all possible locations for something that had came loose and was subject to vibration. No such luck. A shop diagnosed the noise as the catalytic converter. Apparently an interior baffle plate had a spot weld break loose and allowing it to rattle proportional to engine RPM. A new converter was required as it was not repairable. Good luck.
myfirstford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

TJ Fogelberg, our 2016 has had an engine rattle at about 2100 rpm, most noticable in higher gears around 62mph, since day one. I know it is pre-ignition and the dealer fix would be to retard the timing a little. I just don't stay in that rpm. I get a little rattle accelerating through it and then it's gone. We cruise at 65-68. I read that Ford eliminated the knock sensor on later model 2 valve 6.8s in the E450s. One of these days, I'll get curious enough to pop the dog house off and look in the valley and see.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #6

2016 V10 2 valve 6.8 pre-ignition detonation clatter rattle ping

Follow up to my previous post. Just did the 5 Star Tune. This totally and completely eliminated the problem. No ignition clatter at 2100ish RPM. I can now set the cruise on 63 and don't have to work the throttle to stay away from that RPM. The downshifting while climbing a grade is also as it should be; holds the gear longer holding RPM, downshifts one gear at a time when it needs to.

This is such an improvement. I don't even care if it changed the gas mileage.

https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/
Old 06-02-2020, 12:40 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have A LOW MILEAGE 1999 e450SD V-10, DEVELOPED RATTLE/ PING one trip, next trip= no rattle, but return found I had lost tailpipe from broken hanger and peeled weld? Several other found exhaust heat shield issues, some I believe found serpentine/ tensioner issues? I have studied OM from multi years, note (some manuals) say possible bad gas, try 87-octane in A DIFFERENT BRAND. (Some) Manuals for newer models recommend higher octane for ping, some for older say higher octane has NO effect and NOT recommended? Luck to ya
Old 09-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #8

Ford E450 Rattle

I have been reading this thread and have many of the same questions. I do not see where a bonafide technician has responded. Therefore, I will throw this out there to see if anyone has checked this off the list. Might, could it be a PCV valve?
My experience is only when accelerating and requiring significant torque and pressure from the engine. Thank you for accepting my mechanical ignorance regarding combustion engines.
Humunuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Fixed - Root Cause Found

The rattlesnake has been beheaded. Yay.

I took our 2018 E450 Ford Class C to a Ford Fleet Service center. They had not ever heard of this problem or actually experienced it. But since this discovery I have now confirmed that this seems to be the problem and solution for many E450 and E350 chassis.

Serpentine belt and Idler/Tension Pulley. They replaced pulley first which alone did not fix the problem, but they also replaced the serpentine belt. Noise is completely gone. I drove it hard for 90 miles following the service and can confirm that the noise is completely gone, gone, gone.

Prior to the repair, the noise was getting worse during our previous +3000 mile trip through hilly South Dakota and Wyoming. It start out as a noise, only at 62 mph just before shifting into the final gear. As you might imagine we often hover at this speed and it was very annoying. I either had to drive faster or slower than my prefernce to avoid this obnoxious noise. During our last trip, the noise was prevalent before each gear shift and not just the last one.

But now after test the solution through all aspects, underload, up hills and heated vs. cold, all is fixed and I am happy happy happy. I love the idea that we found root cause and the solution was covered by warranty service (Less than 36K miles or 36 months)
Humunuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CHECK EXHAUST ALL the way back to rear bumper; had what sounded like valve ping that suddenly disappeared; later found I had LOST 8-foot x3-inch straight exhaust pipe behind rear axle after a big pothole peeled a mount weld and snapped the front weld. Repair I installed x3 HANGERS in that 8-ft run, so if one breaks, it will not be dragging or flopping? LUCK

Tags
e450, ford