Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 Ford F53 Front Wheel Bearings

In my Ford Owner’s Manual in the maintenance requirements section dealing with Towing (we tow our car everywhere), there is the following recommendation: Every 30000 miles (48000 km) - Replace front wheel bearing grease and grease seals if non-sealed bearings are used. In the attached spec sheet for the 2016, I don't see any mention of the configuration of the front bearings. Can anyone advise what configuration is used on the F53? The MH is going in for Winter Maintenance and I’ve got over 30,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 16_F53_F59.pdf (200.1 KB, 39 views)
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
In my Ford Owner’s Manual in the maintenance requirements section dealing with Towing (we tow our car everywhere), there is the following recommendation: Every 30000 miles (48000 km) - Replace front wheel bearing grease and grease seals if non-sealed bearings are used. In the attached spec sheet for the 2016, I don't see any mention of the configuration of the front bearings. Can anyone advise what configuration is used on the F53? The MH is going in for Winter Maintenance and I’ve got over 30,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance
Have all four wheels serviced. Front brake pads should be changed and beating repacked. Rears need to be checked grease the sliders and check pads. Flush fluids and refill.
Have work done at a reputable truck repair. Much cheaper then ford dealer. Use oem or high quality parts only.
Cheap insurance!..
You can call me at321 999 4555 for more info if you like.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Have all four wheels serviced. Front brake pads should be changed and beating repacked. Rears need to be checked grease the sliders and check pads. Flush fluids and refill.
Have work done at a reputable truck repair. Much cheaper then ford dealer. Use oem or high quality parts only.
Cheap insurance!..
You can call me at321 999 4555 for more info if you like.
Just out of curiosity why change the front brake pads? Seems like an inspection would be more in order. If they need to be changed then potentially the rotors may also need to be replaced as they are exposed to much higher temperature extremes on a heavy vehicle and more prone to warping\cracking.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

You have greasable front bearings.

You can have them re-packed with wheel bearing grease and new seals installed.

While apart, let the shop inspect the brake pads, which I suspect will be fine. The front brakes wear at about the same rate as the rear on F53 RV chassis.

Unlike a car, the weight is in the rear, so they do more work.

In my case, I would wait until 60,000 miles for front wheel bearing service, but that's just me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You have greasable front bearings.

You can have them re-packed with wheel bearing grease and new seals installed.

While apart, let the shop inspect the brake pads, which I suspect will be fine. The front brakes wear at about the same rate as the rear on F53 RV chassis.

Unlike a car, the weight is in the rear, so they do more work.

In my case, I would wait until 60,000 miles for front wheel bearing service, but that's just me.
My theory is if you are spending
The money for the shop to pull all the wheels front and back you might as well spend another hundred bucks for new pads even if they are only 1/2 worn. You might be surprised how worn they are. A lot depends on how you use your brakes and how hot the pads might have gotten in a really hard stop.
Like I said cheap insurance.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great feedback. Regarding the brake recommendations specifically, we're doing the Canadian Rockies the end of the summer, so the brake replacement recommendations make a lot of sense.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had mine done about 3 months ago on our 26Klbs F53, at about 40,000 miles. All looked great when the hubs and wheel came off. Bearings and races looked brand new and were still well packed with grease.

Local truck service center did the job and I watched. Would have preferred to do it myself but can't manage the wheel weights and lug nut torques anymore. I watched to see it was done properly . The mechanic was superb and did the job right! $160 was worth it. Took about 3 hours
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford