Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #1

2016 Itasca Sunova Triton V10 6.8 test drive

Hi, looking for comment, pro and con on the Ford V10 6.8L. Currently run a 2003 Pace Arrow 35G with an 8.1.L Vortec. Test drove the Sunova today and really felt underpowered during drive on side road and interstate run. Really smooth and quiet, but stayed floored to merge and get to 70mph before I had to back off. Have read now that that it is what it is, mostly positive comments, but older blogs. Rig has 4100 miles (2016). Is it fully broken in? Comments and ideas welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoyce View Post
Hi, looking for comment, pro and con on the Ford V10 6.8L. Currently run a 2003 Pace Arrow 35G with an 8.1.L Vortec. Test drove the Sunova today and really felt underpowered during drive on side road and interstate run. Really smooth and quiet, but stayed floored to merge and get to 70mph before I had to back off. Have read now that that it is what it is, mostly positive comments, but older blogs. Rig has 4100 miles (2016). Is it fully broken in? Comments and ideas welcome.
Had 2006 with 8.1. Choked in heavy rain and very noisy. Our 1999 Dutchstar V10 runs great no power problems. Just takes a little longer getting up to 65mph. Thats our towing speed.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Had 2006 with 8.1. Choked in heavy rain and very noisy. Our 1999 Dutchstar V10 runs great no power problems. Just takes a little longer getting up to 65mph. Thats our towing speed.
Have it checked out by certified repair shop. Read all repair and service records. If not available Id walk. Make sure all things work properly. Slides jacks fridge tvs lighting dump valves water pump tank measures. All lights inside and out. Check roof for any cracks in calking. Underside for rust and leaks. Check all grease fittings for signs of service. Get the big picture then make an offer.[emoji1]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

Is it built on the new 2016 Ford Chassis with the six speed transmission or the 2015 Ford Chassis with the five speed transmission?

Some 2016 coaches were built on 2015 Ford Chassis until the supply was exhausted.

To tell the difference look at the gear shift selector. If it has D 321 the coach was built on a 2015 chassis. If it has D 421 then it is built on the 2016 chassis.

I've had both a five and a six speed Ford chassis. I like the 2016 six speed chassis the best. One difference is the five speed transmission will rev up to 5300 RPMs making lots of noise. The six speed transmission revs up to 4300 RPMs and is much quieter to drive.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to 02rld
What you describe is not normal V-10 performance. "Breaking in" will not change that. There is something wrong, get it fixed. I am 74 years old and have owned and driven all manner of vehicles over the years. My current M/H is a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer and at 35 feet is heavy. It has the V-10, an aftermarket exhaust manifold, and the five-star tune. It takes a backseat to no other M/H or semi in the mountains. Totally pleased with the performance.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Performance

Like new, true 4100 miles. Really ran smooth and quiet, but didn't seem to have that punch, that my vortec can give at mid speed acceleration need. Yes, another test drive. Have made offer and gotten a good deal on a basically "new" unit. Its a 2016 Itasca Sunova 35G,around 22,000 lbs, so already underpowered. First time using PPL, I suppose I can find a mechanic for inspection. It's my money and the golden rule applies. Bottom line, did it perform as designed and I am too sensitive, or did the "rarely used " reason for consignment offer a hidden reason. IDK, thanks.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Is it built on the new 2016 Ford Chassis with the six speed transmission or the 2015 Ford Chassis with the five speed transmission?

Some 2016 coaches were built on 2015 Ford Chassis until the supply was exhausted.

To tell the difference look at the gear shift selector. If it has D 321 the coach was built on a 2015 chassis. If it has D 421 then it is built on the 2016 chassis.

I've had both a five and a six speed Ford chassis. I like the 2016 six speed chassis the best. One difference is the five speed transmission will rev up to 5300 RPMs making lots of noise. The six speed transmission revs up to 4300 RPMs and is much quieter to drive.

Adding the 5 Star Tuning to the 5 speed V-10 fixes the high rpm issue, I have both the 5 Star and full Banks Power Pack system and my motorhome takes off fast and fly's up hills at stays in the lower rpm range..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoyce View Post
Maybe there is a issue with the V-10 in that motorhome, I have owned both the 8.1 and now the V-10 and it takes off faster than the 8.1 did in a smaller motorhome..

However I have the 5 Star tuning and full banks power pack system..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It may be a matter of perception and feel. Especially with a rig that long and heavy (but I like the layout, we have a 30A). Plan on doing the CHF, rear track bar, and maybe a tune to start. If your wife drives, get a Safe-T-Plus - (trust me) Then run it and see if you really need more. Being heavy compared to the 30A it may need more, but on the other hand the longer wheelbase may offset some other unpleasant characteristics.

All of these are easy to install/do - I did them at a park where "work" was prohibited, and no one even noticed or cared.

Also , it probably has never had a proper - post delivery front end alignment. Get that done when you have her loaded and a few miles on her to get the feel.

My only concern with the 35G is if you will tow a toad. With a 30A, we have plenty of reserve weight capacity, so we can tow a heavy toad (4500 lbs) and still stay under the GCWR. Get weighed and see if you have enough for your toad. If all of this seems off topic - your coach should have plenty power at the lower elevations. Get it checked out. 10,000' - plan on driving slooow. Enjoy.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, test, v10