Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

2018 F53: Koni FSD + Sumo springs = HARSH?

So I've been reading up on shocks for the F53 chassis. I have a 2018 26k F53 chassis for my Tiffin Open Road which has Sumo springs front a rear from the factory. This machine rides much better than the '99 F53 I had - smoother, quieter, much less rolling.

Now. It's crashing over sharp bumps. With 22k miles on the odometer I'm sure the stock Sachs are toast (the porposing is also a give away).

I'm not concerned with roll/body sway control. The Sumos have that covered, IMO, very well vs. not having them on my other MH.

So I'm looking for bump compliance. Those of you who put on FSD's and found them harsh - was it on washboard roads and expansion joints? This is the area I'd like to improve. And yes, I've weighed the coach and have proper air pressure per the weight chart.

If the Bilstein's offer better bump compliance at the expense of body/roll control that may be a better choice for me.

And BTW - at 100K miles I decided to put new Monroe shocks on my old MH - and it did take the sharp edge off the sharp hits. So...this but better with FSDs???
Jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2020 Newmar Canyon Star 3710 (38'). Drove 165 miles on test drive, & replaced the new Ford shocks with the Koni's which I had bought with some other chassis items, & they made a big difference to me. That said, I also had Sumo front springs installed, an Ultra-Trac rear trac bar & Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed.
The Koni shocks made a difference, especially in compression/rebound, but helped with the lean also. The compression/rebound rate may have affected the harsh bridge transitions. I think it did.
As a result, I do get a harsh "bang", once in a while on real bad bridge transitions. All in all, a big improvement.
I can say this, drove a Ventana, and got the same harshness in the bridge transitions.
In my opinion, the only way that will go away, is either "Liquid Springs" front & rear on a gas coach; or step up to the independent front suspension with air-ride on a much, much higher priced "DP"!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:27 AM   #3

The switch to Koni in my 32 SA was a great improvement. So much I upgraded to quad shocks for better ride and handling with great results.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #4

As a follow up I went ahead and bought the Koni FSDs. Absolutely a marked improvement in body control and bump compliance. I feel like they really complement the sumo springs as a body roll is greatly reduced even further. This is still a 26,000 pound delivery truck so I’m not going to mistake it for my Denali. First I was a little disappointed because it seemed the small bump compliance wasn’t really improved. But the longer I drove the more impressed I was. even at 22,000 miles the other shocks were totally shot. And if they weren’t shot and they were completely inadequate compared to the konis.

If you’ve ever ridden in a vehicle that has both regular suspension and also an option for electronically controlled suspension like the GMC Yukon’s and the Denali and you’ve studied both you may see what I’m getting at. It’s kind of like the Denali with the electronic suspension. When you hit a big bump the suspension really firms up after the big hit to control movement of the chassis. That’s what it feels like these Konis do.

Multiple hits like rough bridges are very much smoothed over. You still know you’re hitting the smaller bumps but somehow it manages to smooth them all out.

No I don’t know if the Billsteins would do just as well. But right now I’m very happy with the improvements in ride. I thought the body control was certainly better with the sumos. Now it’s even better.
Jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Peter M,

How did you add your second shocks. We have the 18,000 lb chassis and I added another shock to only the fronts so far. After looking what I had all I did was replace the bottom bolt with a longer one and used the stock bottom bolt on the top which was long enough to accomodate the extra shock.

I created a thread on this forum and showed my shock mount. I was told I had to increase support for the bottom bolt as it would eventually either bend or break. It's been about 1,000 miles and so far nothing has bent or broken. I'm not an engineer and don't know if I'm over stressing any of the bolts so I'm a little concerned. I have devised a way of increasing the support on the bottom bolts but if I don't have to add support that would be nice to know.

I can post pics of what I did if you'd like but I'd like to know if you added any support and how?

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 04-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
The switch to Koni in my 32 SA was a great improvement. So much I upgraded to quad shocks for better ride and handling with great results.
Did the same as Peter - had quad Koni FSD shocks all around on my new 2019, 3 months after we bought it. It did come with Sumo's, but would beat you to death when riding in it. Significant improvement. Also replace / added sway bars, steering stabilizer and rear trac bar.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Peter M,

How did you add your second shocks. We have the 18,000 lb chassis and I added another shock to only the fronts so far. After looking what I had all I did was replace the bottom bolt with a longer one and used the stock bottom bolt on the top which was long enough to accomodate the extra shock.

I created a thread on this forum and showed my shock mount. I was told I had to increase support for the bottom bolt as it would eventually either bend or break. It's been about 1,000 miles and so far nothing has bent or broken. I'm not an engineer and don't know if I'm over stressing any of the bolts so I'm a little concerned. I have devised a way of increasing the support on the bottom bolts but if I don't have to add support that would be nice to know.

I can post pics of what I did if you'd like but I'd like to know if you added any support and how?

Thanks,
TeJay
I'll get some pictures posted today. Henderson mounting kit F & R 24 K chassis.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:09 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Peter M,

Thanks for the pics when they are posted.

TeJay
Old 04-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #9

Passenger side quad shock mountings F & R is parallel with the stock mounting points. Be sure to properly provide washers as spacers as to not allow the shock body to rub. Driver side to follow in next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3662.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	324630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3663.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	324631  

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	324632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3658.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	324633  

Old 04-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

Driver side Henderson provides brackets for the top and bottom front shock mount. Rear bottom shock mount Henderson provides a bracket. Top shock mount you use the stock mount placing the shocks parallel with spacers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3668.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	324635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3667.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	324636  

Name:	IMG_3666.jpg