Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #1

2019 v10 rpm and downhill

Just drive through some hilly terrain for the first time.

Without tow haul mode on if I had cruise control on and then tapped on the brake the transmission felt like it changed gear and rpm’s would go up to 4500 - 5000 at 40 mph. Almost like it wouldn’t let me coast. Is that a feature or a bug? Newbie with ford chassis Thanks.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Sounds like possibly the lock up torque converter unlocking. Normal for brake application.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #3

It is a downshift, not the torque converter unlocking. When coasting, unlocking the torque converter will lower the RPM, not raise the RPM.

With the cruise on the PCM will downshift the trans if the vehicle speed exceeds the set speed. This is to try to keep the speed down to the set point. It's normal.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Mark, He said when he taps the brakes...that will disconnect the cruise control.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

Yes, it disconnects the cruise and downshift if you tap the brakes.

I see 4500 to 5000 RPMs on steep downhill runs.

If you want to coast, don't tap the brake to cancel the cruise, hit cancel on the steering wheel.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I will experiment further. It was disconcerting seeing and hearing the engine rev so high.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will experiment further. It was disconcerting seeing and hearing the engine rev so high.

BUT....it's nice when it is doing its job to help slow the coach, when going down a mountain!

One of the great features of the "tow/haul" mode! I drive with mine "On", any time I'm driving the coach! Flat lands or mountains, it does help "slow" the coach. And to me, a fraction of a second could be the difference in avoiding an accident!

A great feature, & the V-10 is built to handle it, too!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
It was disconcerting seeing and hearing the engine rev so high.
The computer will not let the engine rev high enough to do any damage.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #9
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The computer will not let the engine rev high enough to do any damage.
I've heard this before but never read how. For discussion; When coasting down a steep grade and the trans has downshifted to aid in slowing down, yet the engine rpm steadily climbs as the grade is too steep, are you stating the computer will upshift the transmission to save the motor, at which point the driver will be more dependent on braking?
Old 06-05-2022, 08:36 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I've heard this before but never read how. For discussion; When coasting down a steep grade and the trans has downshifted to aid in slowing down, yet the engine rpm steadily climbs as the grade is too steep, are you stating the computer will upshift the transmission to save the motor, at which point the driver will be more dependent on braking?
That's the way an Allison works!
Old 06-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Yes, that is exactly what will happen. The alternative is to let the engine blow. Then you don't have power brakes or power steering.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #12

As "Jabber Jaw" noted, I am always in 'tow/haul' mode. If the motorhome is moving, I'm hauling, and most of the time I'm towing also.
It is especially helpful when climbing and descending. Tapping the brake to down shift will save your brakes from burning out and could save your life. The V10 and Allison transmission work well together in mountains. When my rpm's get to 5,000 or so I'm normally going a little faster than I should and tap the brakes to slow back down some.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
As "Jabber Jaw" noted, I am always in 'tow/haul' mode. If the motorhome is moving, I'm hauling, and most of the time I'm towing also.

It is especially helpful when climbing and descending. Tapping the brake to down shift will save your brakes from burning out and could save your life. The V10 and Allison transmission work well together in mountains. When my rpm's get to 5,000 or so I'm normally going a little faster than I should and tap the brakes to slow back down some.

Thanks,
Ford V10 and Allison transmission ?

Ford RV chassis use Ford transmissions.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
The V10 and Allison transmission work well together in mountains.
How did you end up with a GM transmission in your Ford chassis?

GM owns Allison. Ford uses Ford transmissions, and they call them TorqShift transmissions.

Tags
v10