Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #1

2020 f53 anti-sway bars

Good morning all, I have a 2021 Thor Challenger 37FH, it sits on a 2020 f53 chassis. I installed a steering stabilizer and it made a big difference. In my younger days I spent 10 yrs moving heavy equipment so t didn’t take long to get comfortable with our 1st MH. However the wife has shown interest in driving our rig so I decided to see what I could do to make the process more enjoyable for the both of us! I have researched all available suspension options and decided to take the “baby step” approach and go with front and rear anti sway bars. I am considering the Roadmaster brand. My question is with a 1 3/4 inch diameter bar on the front and a 1 5/8 bar on the back (recommend by roadmaster), what effect will this have on the ride? It’s a big box gasser so I would prefer to at least not make the ride any harder but at the same time being able to do away with some of the getting knocked around when the big rigs come flying past or it’s a little windy so the wife will be cool, calm and collected when in the driver’s seat! Thanks to all who respond! “Happy wife, Happy life”
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #2

Is your chassis the V10 or V8 (your right in the switchover period) the will make a difference as what can be done. The V8 chassis has a more robust suspension.

Also what weight chassis do you have.

The 2020 chassis should be the new chassis with the V8. The front & rear sway bars are 2" from the factory (at least on the 24 & 26 K chassis).
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the response, I’ve got the V-8 and the chassis is 24,000 GVW
Old 02-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Thanks for the response, I’ve got the V-8 and the chassis is 24,000 GVW
I have the same chassis. You already have the 2" sway bars front & rear. I swapped out the front bump stops with Sumo springs and really have not found any need for additional enhancements. I feel virtually no push from passing trucks. YMMV
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #5

You've got giant sway bars already. But you should check that a sway bar bushing hasn't come off. Ford can't figure out how to torque them correct. Many of us have lost them, some with just delivery miles.

Edit: have you measured your sway bars? You say something less than the 2" bars on the V8 chassis.

I'm wondering if you have a 2019 V10 chassis under your 2020 (extremely common to have a chassis 1 year older than the house)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:04 PM   #6

I was under the impression that the aftermarket sway bar gets installed in addition to the factory bar in the rear ?? I thought that’s how hellwig was anyway
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
rear TRAC bar

Big Rick: you need a rear TRAC bar for the semi push when being passed . Also do the CHF and inspect the sway bar bushing brackets.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #8

Thank you all for the great information! My coach is currently in the shop for some warranty work so I can’t crawl under it right now and check the bars! I was doing research on anti-sway bars because of the want to get rid of the push from passing trucks and such. I have read about the CHF but some people had said that it made the ride a bit stiffer and I certainly don’t need that! It is definitely a 2020 f53 Chassis and V-8 engine! I will check into the rear track bars and see what I can find there. Thank y’all I really appreciate the help!
Old 02-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #9

I bought my 31 Precept used. The PO had Tampa Springs truck company install this sway bar on the rear. Drives perfect with very little push from semis. I don’t even have the safety steer.
I was installing the Seelevel guage system on my grey tank is the reason the wheel is off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23C7880A-A011-47E7-93DC-CF2A04E946A2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	356247  
Old 02-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
Big Rick: you need a rear TRAC bar for the semi push when being passed . Also do the CHF and inspect the sway bar bushing brackets.
Agreed. Rear trac bar made a big improvement on our rig to the point where there's very little if any push from passing semi's. Personally I don't think sway bar is the answer to passing trucks.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Thank you all for the great information! My coach is currently in the shop for some warranty work so I can’t crawl under it right now and check the bars! I was doing research on anti-sway bars because of the want to get rid of the push from passing trucks and such. I have read about the CHF but some people had said that it made the ride a bit stiffer and I certainly don’t need that! It is definitely a 2020 f53 Chassis and V-8 engine! I will check into the rear track bars and see what I can find there. Thank y’all I really appreciate the help!
Two suggestions:

1) Install a rear "trac bar" ! It will all but eliminate any sway, as well as lean & roll! Probably the single best thing you can do for the chassis. That coupled with a "Saf-T-Plus" steering stabilizer (which you have done), should give you great handling!

2) Install Koni shocks. These will enhance & improve your ride, due to the valving/construction of the shock!

Oh, and if you want the "ultimate" ride; install "Liquid Spring" front & rear suspension! Expensive, but gives a fantastic ride! As good or better than most entry level diesel coaches!

Good Luck, enjoy your coach!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Big Rick,

STABILIZER BAR
You already have 2" diameter front and rear (SB) Stabilizer Bars. The SB's do not increase ride harshness. They are designed to only control sway as the result of bumps or road dips which affect one side. When the left tire hits a bump or wind gust from one side the RV box would want to sway away from the direction of the force. When that happens instead of the body swaying the link arm which is attached to the SB arm and vehicle frame twists the SB running across the middle of the RV which reduces the effect of the wind or bump. The sway force is absorbed into the spring steel of the SB instead of the RV body moving side to side.

Keep in mind it only works when a force is trying to tilt or move the RV side to side when looking at the top. If both front or rear tires hit the same dip or bump nothing is twisted so there is no sway to be controlled.

Based on how the SB works it does not add harshness. I've seen and driven Class A RV's that has two SB on the rear and larger SB's on the front. The owners did not complain about harshness in the ride.

Your shocks are designed to dampen frame movement up and down as the result of wind and road irregularities. Yes you can help the ride by changing to a better shock.

REAR TRACKBAR
There is frame lateral movement that occurs due to looseness in the leaf spring shackles. This results from wind forces trying to move the front or rear laterally or side to side. Don't confuse this with SWAY which is the top of the RV box leaning back and forth as wind hits the top of the RV.

If a wind gust is hits the front left side of the box it will push/pivot the front of the frame to the right. At the same time the left rear will move to the left. Side gusts will actually pivot the frame laterally.

How do you fix or stop that? A rear trackbar. One end attaches to the differential and the other end attaches to the frame. They are a good investment to control the unwanted movements of a Class A RV.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I was under the impression that the aftermarket sway bar gets installed in addition to the factory bar in the rear ?? I thought that’s how hellwig was anyway
That was the case with the 2019 F53 I had with the V10 on the 24K chassis. Ended up with 3 sway bars on the rear end - 2 stock plus the adder.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
TeJay

A great reply, and explanation!

My opinion is that the "trac bar" installation has the most impact on handling, than any other modification!

Were any "gas" coach owner to only make these two modifications, trac bar & steering stabilizer, they would find immense improvement in handling!

Oh, by the way, you would appreciate the design & installation of "Liquid Spring" suspension! And "man oh man", what a difference it makes!

Again, TeJay, a great post!

Allan
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, sway, sway bar