Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #1

2020 Ford F53 jounce bumper

As you can see in the pics below, I'm missing the front drivers side jounce bumper (yellow cone) from my 2020 F53 motorhome chassis 24000 lb GVWR. The cone appears to fit in "slots/tabs" in the upper cap which bolts to the frame. Ford dealer "thinks" it is part no LU9Z3020A, but has no detailed picture of it. While I probably could/may get them to fix under warranty, the hassle of getting it to them and having to leave it with them are big negatives. I may be wrong, but I was thinking that this could be a part that is replaced when many have done suspension upgrades, so I was taking a shot in the dark if someone out there may have one they are willing to send me for a reasonable amount? If no luck there, if someone has direct experience with this item and can verify if the above part number is correct or if not what the correct number is, it would be appreciated. I have been unable to find a picture of the part on any parts websites either, and while they show the part number above, they don't seem to recognize motorhome VIN numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front pass side still there.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	347084   Click image for larger version

Name:	front drivers side missing.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	347085  

Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #2

I wouldn't bother getting it fixed under warranty for the reasons you mentioned. Take your picture of the one you have and your VIN# to a Ford dealer and they'll either have it or order it for you.

I am one that has done front end upgrades with sumo springs so I threw my bumpers away.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

Take your cell phone with camera and flash and record all around bumper and see if you can find p# on it.. it maybe on the top.. they usually have part# embossed on them.. you may have to wipe it some to clean and find p#
Or check Amazon.. I have seen similar ones on there.. you can also type in the p# ford gave you.. and while recording.. take measurements so you can compare on Amazon
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. oh look on eBay too..
Old 10-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

you can upgrade those bumper stops with timbren ses kit.
little pricey though.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #5

Jounce bumper

The front jounce bumper part # is “LU9Z3020A”.
I lost one and after some difficulty ordered a replacement through a local ford dealership. However before it arrived the second one feel off. I am now waiting for the second bumper to arrive. Will be contacting Ford Motor Co.
Fgruener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgruener View Post
The front jounce bumper part # is “LU9Z3020A”.
I lost one and after some difficulty ordered a replacement through a local ford dealership. However before it arrived the second one feel off. I am now waiting for the second bumper to arrive. Will be contacting Ford Motor Co.
That's some good info.
Since there are 3 instances here of these coming loose and falling off, what I'd do is apply a couple 3 drops of Blue Loctite on the threads before reinstalling.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #7

The bolt on mine did not loosen, the "yellow cone" fell off as it appears to fit in slots/under tabs in the upper cap which is bolted to the frame. If that is what happened in the other instances, it would appear that some type of adhesive might help.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #8

The bolt on mine did not loosen, the "yellow cone" fell off as it appears to fit in slots/under tabs in the upper cap which is bolted to the frame. If that is what happened in the other instances, it would appear that some type of adhesive might help. I sent a private message to Fgruener's to make sure his bump stops are exactly the same as mine to make sure he had the same problem and not the bolts coming loose.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #9

It appears to be a design flaw or quality control issue with the product. I would not want to install similar replacement parts but would request Ford, under warranty, to replace with a comparable item based on a different design. We replaced ours with Sumo Springs but that is an expense you might not be inclined to make but the benefit, in my opinion, is worth the expenditure.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #10

I had one disappear in the first few months of ownership. I was leaving again in a few days for a months long trip and they were on national backorder. I was able to get a set of Sumo Springs delivered next day and went that route. Never looked back, well worth the $$ for the Sumos. Took me less than a hour to install them in my driveway.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #11

Thanks for all the info. My plan at this point is to stick with the stock part as long as I can get it (ordered yesterday). I plan to run a bead of silicone around the top of the cone where it fits into the metal cap to help secure it in place.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #12

We were missing this part as well. About 3 weeks after we got the 2021 Georgetown GT7 we took it for the Safe T plus stabilizer and they found that one of the Jounce Bumpers was missing then. Thanks for info on the part number. I finally found the same info today and it matches. It's about $55.
KCKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford